When a Pharmacy messes up

Big Cliff

When a pharmacy messes up and gives you the wrong perscription then calls you on a Sunday (4 days after you picked up the perscription) and tells you "DON"T TAKE THOSE PILLS WE GAVE YOU, WE MADE A MISTAKE"!

Who do you report it to? We have been hearing a lot of complaints lately about this perticular pharmacy making mistakes but this is the first time it has happened to us. This mistake could have been fatal to Sue and I am madder than heck!

I went to the walk-in Dr with a cold and sore chest from coughing, and got some wicked narcotic cough syrup, mouth wash stuff, and 112 Tylenol 3's with codeine.

Went to my family Dr. with a pulled muscle in my back and got some back stuff and 10 Tylenol 3's with codeine.

I'm almost certain the 112 was to be 12. Heck I only took 1, and 112 is a heck of a lot!

I think typo's must make up a part of med mistakes.

Entropy

I went to the walk-in Dr with a cold and sore chest from coughing, and got some wicked narcotic cough syrup, mouth wash stuff, and 112 Tylenol 3's with codeine.

Went to my family Dr. with a pulled muscle in my back and got some back stuff and 10 Tylenol 3's with codeine.

I'm almost certain the 112 was to be 12. Heck I only took 1, and 112 is a heck of a lot!

I think typo's must make up a part of med mistakes.

Entropy

brutal. I was volunteering for our suboxone treatment clinic(medication to stop opiate abuse). I was dispensing on a saturday, which meant i had to go to the pharmacy to get all the patients meds. I get back to the office and check to ensure there the right amounts and doses for each client. Hmmm, extra bottle??? What is it? 200 OxyContin. I returned them but i found that to be quite a massive mistake

How do we (I) check if it is the correct medicine or not?

I am not a DR/RN/pharmicists

your dr tells you what he is giving you. And it comes with a list of interactions and directions etc. that info also goes straight from the dr to the pharmasist via computer. So look at your prescription when you pick it up, ensure its correct. This coulda been a horrible situation. I hope ya get it all straightened out and your wife is safe big cliff Edited by manitoubass2

I administer meds everyday , there's the 3 Rs when dispensing an Rx , Right med , Right person , Right way ( IM , Per Os , SL ) etc ... who ever you met at the counter didn't do their job ... I'm glad for you that it didn't adversely affect your spouse's health ... I have horror stories to tell about med errors .

Who to tell ... Who do you tell ? It's been a question of our for years .

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

It was a repeat and we get them in blister packs. Because of Sue's previous heart attacks and surgery she takes quite a few different meds and from time to time there are changes sometimes to the dosages sometimes they switch to a generic (which can have a totally different shape and color). She checked the names and dosage on her pills when she noticed that one of them was different but the description was right so she just figured that they had just switched her to a generic version.

Saturday she wasn't feeling well, tired, weak, I checked her blood pressure it was 85/50. Since the heart attacks she has been on medication to keep her blood pressure down but this was quite a bit lower than usual (normal for Sue is about 116/65. I continued to monitor it but it stayed stable and as the day wore on it slowly started to climb slightly and she started feeling better.

Sunday morning we got the call from the pharamacy, the pills they had given her were to reduce blood pressure! Who knows how low it might have gone had she continued taking the pills they gave her.

Thanks for the link Terry, I will be filing a report today and I will be going in to the pharamacy!

It was a repeat and we get them in blister packs. Because of Sue's previous heart attacks and surgery she takes quite a few different meds and from time to time there are changes sometimes to the dosages sometimes they switch to a generic (which can have a totally different shape and color). She checked the names and dosage on her pills when she noticed that one of them was different but the description was right so she just figured that they had just switched her to a generic version.

Saturday she wasn't feeling well, tired, weak, I checked her blood pressure it was 85/50. Since the heart attacks she has been on medication to keep her blood pressure down but this was quite a bit lower than usual (normal for Sue is about 116/65. I continued to monitor it but it stayed stable and as the day wore on it slowly started to climb slightly and she started feeling better.

Sunday morning we got the call from the pharamacy, the pills they had given her were to reduce blood pressure! Who knows how low it might have gone had she continued taking the pills they gave her.

Thanks for the link Terry, I will be filing a report today and I will be going in to the pharamacy!

holy smokes Cliff! Thats bad. Glad shes okay! Your def. Doing the right thing reporting it. That kinda irresposibility is not acceptable!

I only ever experienced that once when we were in Richmond Hill and I had just barely got home when they called...

I now use an inhaler to clear my sinus at night before I wear my CPAP mask...The pharmacist gave me a different one the first repeat and I questioned it right away (fewer doses)...They apologized and gave me the right one...

No matter which version that you are prescribed either name brand or generic they are coded by size, color and I.D. marks. here is a website to help you identify any pill you find as well as what it is used for.

http://www.rxlist.com/pill-identification-tool/article.htm

I am very glad Sue is better now and by reporting it if it was just a mistake there will be no harm but if it is a pattern then he will be removed from the medical system.

Art