Rav4 Owners - Input Needed - NF - UPDATED!!!

NAW

I have an older 2003 Rav4 with the 2.0L engine. I only have 194000k in those 11 years, but I love it! I live in the snow belt and this thing goes through anything. The AWD hurts a bit on mileage. I get about 11L / 100k highway. I'm 6' 1" and find it very comfortable. One of the most stable solid vehicles I have ever driven. Friend has a newer, larger V6 and no issues with it either.

As per Rattletrap2's comments. My 2013 Sante Fe gets between 7.9 and 9 Km per litre in the summer when we are going to the cottage every weekend...so lots of highway driving. This winter the mileage is worse as we are doing almost no highway driving. So I would say highway only is between 7.9-8.3L/100KM. City is over 10. I am very vigilant... perhaps anal...lol about keeping track of such things. My journal in the car says I have spent $2163 to drive 16,934KM...you do the math.

Cliff, did you not also go through hell with a Nissan pick-up truck a number of years back?

I did have a Fronter and had a problem with the engine on it but in that case Nissan (and the dealership) were fantastic to deal with. They even provided me with an upgraded fully loaded truck for the seven weeks mine was laid up while they changed the engine and also gave me back my lease payments for the seven weeks. Once the engine was changed out, there were never any other problems.

With this Rogue about the only thing I keep hearing is "that's just the way it is"!

They will fix the tailgate under warranty but it is a new car, it shouldn't have to be fixed already and they will fix what I can see but what about the stuff I can't see right now. (they have also said they would talk to the body shop about having the front spoiler plastic welded when the tailgate is being done for a a fee of course)

They have offered to disconnect the sport mode switch but that doesn't solve the problem of it being very poorly desigined. You pay for it, it's no good so they disconnect it?

My good friend is a mechanic at Hyundai. After the stories I've heard...I'd stay clear of that brand! People seem to like them and the price, but when you hear a Hyundai mechanic say he will only drive Toyota and Honda, it's a good indication of where not to buy.

I wouldn't recommend any used Jeep under $15,000 for your wife. The only good jeeps at that price are the Wranglers/YJ/TJ's but they are not comfortable vehicles!

My good friend is a mechanic at Hyundai. After the stories I've heard...I'd stay clear of that brand! People seem to like them and the price, but when you hear a Hyundai mechanic say he will only drive Toyota and Honda, it's a good indication of where not to buy.

I wouldn't recommend any used Jeep under $15,000 for your wife. The only good jeeps at that price are the Wranglers/YJ/TJ's but they are not comfortable vehicles!

my last two suvs were/are jeeps -- bought them for well under 15k (a regular cherokee that i think i payed about 5500 and a grand cherokee for a little more) each has lasted 5 years with minimal issues outside of maintenance/tires. in fact, i regret selling the reg cherokee, eventhough it had accumulated 400k kms. bulletproof drivetrain. not sure what i am going to go with next, but another jeep is definately on the radar - commander, newer grand or perhaps a liberty.

All the stuff I like about mine they got rid of in the new style

Spare tire on back (a ton of storage where most cars have their spare ...4 cases of beer cans and 2 tackle boxes)

4x4 lock bottom...unlocks when exceed 40km but most in the category don't offer any locking

Back seats slide forward and recline.

They got rid off all that stuff

I like the roof racks, and good on gas

Bad

Wears out tires fast (dealer told me) I got 60000 km out of mine

Seats not too comfortable

Not too good in snow for a 4x4. Maybe too light.

Stero speakers suck, worth upgrading!

My rear brake just went yesterday 80000 km.

My jetta has 155000 on original brakes.

Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2014 06:53 PM Eastern Standard Time

To: Brock, Colin

Subject: RAV 4

I have an older (2004) forester and I love it. If I was looking in your price range I'd definitely check out the newer model year foresters. The XT (turbo 2.5L) if you can find one in your budget would be a great vehicle.

All the boxer engines can develop head gasket problems as they get older and especially if they are not properly maintained. Besides a bad gasket material choice which seems to have been remedied in the early 2000s they are also prone to improper coolant types and change intervals and it would seem ethanol doesn't help (the turbos take premium so you don't hear about them having as many problems).

They AWD system is great! with the recent snow fall where everyone was getting stuck I was able to plow through everything with my snowies on.

As others have mentioned I think they went a bit to generic in exterior styling on their 2014 update, all the small-mid SUVs are starting to look the same anymore, Hyndai, Honda, Subaru etc. they all have similar body lines.

Let us know what you think after you test drive a few.

I absolutely love my 2013 Rav4 AWD. I drive over 200Km per day to and from work, on a highway famous for black ice and white outs. This is my first winter with it, and I am completely satisfied with it. It is stable in high winds, and the AWD keeps me on the road. Traction management, ABS brakes and the ability to lock all 4 axles from 0 to 40 KPH is great. We got a ton of snow this winter, and I never felt as if I would not make it to work or back. I drive around 120, and am averageing 8.6 l/100 Km

I would buy another in a heart beat.!!!

Thanks Mercman!

And everyone else for their continued input on this thread!

4x4 lock is a great feature for sure. Some of the rav4's have 3rd row seating as well. Looks a little tight though!

I had a 1998 Subaru Forester, that thing was awsom!!!!!! I put snow tires on it for the winter and often drove around people that were stuck on ice or in snow. It was without a doubt one of the best cars I ever owned, I wish I had gone that route again except there isn't a dealer here in Lindsay.

I talked to a mechanic one day and he told me that if he had to make a living off Subarus he'd be living on the street.

My mother in-law bought a new Rogue about 8 months ago and she's not totally pleased with it. Lots of little things, averages 11L/100km fuel mileage.

My sister just blew the engine in her 2013 Santa Fe that might have 20k on it. She is not happy! It's covered under warranty but she's not impressed. Dealership said it would be a month before she got her vehicle back. They gave her a loaner but things just arent the same as factory when they need to pull the engine in the newer cars. I forsee problems down the road with that car.

You don't hear much bad about the Hondas or Toyotas and they run forever.

Subaru...confidence in motion.

NAW...we are summoning you and your wife to the other side,

If you really do the research you will find SUBARU will appear at the top of the class for safety, dependability and value based on functionality.

Put a good pair of winter boots on it and your wife will be able to drive with confidence in the worst winter conditions...hopefully she'll let ya take for a rip on the weekends,,,just sayin'

Hahaha.. thanks Slop!

I've got some friends that are trying to pull me over to the other side as well. And as a rally enthusiast my self.. I would love if she got a forester.

My wife has this notion that sitting a bit higher up is safer for some reason... (not that a few inches make a difference) And the Foresters sit a bit low for her.. It's all in her head. :wallbash:

We are definitely going to test drive a few.

The forester has just as much clearance as a RAV. They drive nicer too. I had a forester XT for years. Great car, but I had a few issues with the turbo. If your going the forester route, I'd stay away from the turbo IMO. Awesome vehicles though. I'm in the market for something bigger now. Been looking for weeks, and still undecided. So much new stuff that's not really "Proven". I don't know what way to go.

S.

That's the issue right Sinker.

With the automotive down turn a few years back. Almost everyone has totally changed their lineups with new models.. And I know for a fact that some OEM's crashed through it flying by the seats of the pants... And the did it all around the same time. And None of the new models have really been proven. And most of it looks girly and weak IMO...