Short or long shaft kicker

fisher

I bought a new smokercraft 16 foot pro angler and am getting a 9.9 hp mercury kicker to go with the 115 main motor.

Should I insist on a long shaft for the kicker or would the short shaft be fine? Not sure if it was specified in the contract one way or the other (I have to check tonight when I get home) but if it's a short shaft that I am getting, would that be okay(and not worth insisting on the long shaft)? Or should I definitely get the long shaft?

I will be using the kicker solely for trolling Lake Ontario for salmon. Never back trolling (I read that may be a consideration for a long shaft).

Thanks in advance for your input/experience.

Ok. I just got my wife to look over the contract and it's an elpt 9.9 merc pro kicker.

So an internet search seems to suggest that means

E-electric

L- long shaft

PT - power trim.

Please correct me of I am wrong. Don't want to call the dealer if I don't have to. Thanks again.

Ok. I just got my wife to look over the contract and it's an elpt 9.9 merc pro kicker.

So an internet search seems to suggest that means

E-electric

L- long shaft

PT - power trim.

Please correct me of I am wrong. Don't want to call the dealer if I don't have to. Thanks again.

No dealer would be upset to answer a question regarding a purchase, the only stupid question is the one that is not asked. If we give you the wrong information, then you won't be able to dispute the supply of the motor if it turns out to be the wrong one for your needs.