What's that smell...?

NAW

I am up at the in laws in collingwood to start the weekend off.

Figured I'd sneak out and try the terminals this morning. 6:15 walking out to the truck... What do I smell? Skunk... I didn't think they came out in the winter.

And that's what I smelled all morning long.

Just a few bumps on the finder. Back for a warm breakfast. The off to Kolapore to explore!

I own a pet store in Hamilton and a couple customers already been in to buy skunk shampoo for their dogs that recently got sprayed. The skunks obviously don't care about the polar vortex their internal clocks are bringing them out. :)

Well I think it's a good sign Nick :thumbsup_anim:

For the past few weeks, I've had mourning doves roosting on my front porch. Drives me nuts because they leave their little "presents" all over the place. It's not so bad right now because these little presents freeze and can easily be swept away, but they've never done this before and I hope they don't intend to stay there. All day long, when you open the door, or coming back to get into the house, they scatter, making that weird noise they make when they fly. Scares the crap out of everyone. I also worry about these "presents," are they toxic?

No not toxic dogs eat chicken/bird poop all the time. If there are no eggs in the nest you can remove it any time you want without harming mother nature. They will build a new one else were in a day. You can also put a rubber snake in the area the nest was to keep a new one from being built.

Art

That mild weather last weekend might have got them up and going but I would have thought that the Minus 30 temps over night would have sent them right back. :dunno:

I guess when you want some…. even if it is skunky. :wub:

Edited by kickingfrog

No not toxic dogs eat chicken/bird poop all the time. If there are no eggs in the nest you can remove it any time you want without harming mother nature. They will build a new one else were in a day. You can also put a rubber snake in the area the nest was to keep a new one from being built.

Art

Thanks Art, but they haven't actually built a nest, they're just hanging around, every day, all day. I just wondered about the poop as they seem related to pigeons and I've heard their poop is bad stuff.

I used to smell skunks in Barrie all the time.

But now that I'm in the bush, I never smell them.

I've got almost everything else under the sun... Just not skunks.

Edited by N.A.W

Almost drove over one last night, scared the crap out of me to see this oversized cat on a windswept country road... As for nuisance critters, the rabbits have been reeking havoc, given the snow depth they are able to chew off the bark from the limbs of my apples trees, they are unable to chew it off the trunk of the trees but it seems they prefer the tender bark from the limbs.... I hope the trees will survive come spring.

G