Boat and Suv Questions

BillsTheBassMan

I've got a crest liner 1750 w/115 Merc and towed it with a few different class vehicles. Do some research and try to keep to vehicles with a 3500 lb tow rating.

For several years I towed with a Safari van, then a ford expedition and now a gmc envoy. When behind the ford you'd never know you had a load, the Gmc does a fine job now as long as you don't want to set any acceleration records. Stops in good distance too.

I just traded the ford in and looked at 3 vehicles that would easily do the job. Acadia, Durango and Pilot all will do the job. 4x4 is nice to have but I've been driving an AWD for the last month and I think as long as your at decent ramps you shouldn't have any problems

I've got a crest liner 1750 w/115 Merc and towed it with a few different class vehicles. Do some research and try to keep to vehicles with a 3500 lb tow rating.

For several years I towed with a Safari van, then a ford expedition and now a gmc envoy. When behind the ford you'd never know you had a load, the Gmc does a fine job now as long as you don't want to set any acceleration records. Stops in good distance too.

I just traded the ford in and looked at 3 vehicles that would easily do the job. Acadia, Durango and Pilot all will do the job. 4x4 is nice to have but I've been driving an AWD for the last month and I think as long as your at decent ramps you shouldn't have any problems

Awesome info. Do you have any idea how much your rig weighed? What I am looking at is almost identical.

Bill to get your gross weight tow the rig to a quarry or scrap yard and put it on the scale and disconnect the tow vehicle. If they aren't busy they usually don't charge. Then you will know exactly what you have without gear and passengers.

Don't overthink this thing. A pal tows a 22 foot Starcraft with a 90 loaded with gear and groceries etc.on short and long hauls with a GMC Canyon 5 cylinder with no problem. 2 wheel drive. Caution when towing anything goes a long way. Apply brakes early and do the speed limit, especially on ramps.

4X4 comes in handy on iffy wet and muddy ramps. Otherwise with that rig front wheel drive isn't a problem. I know we are talking far different vehicles but before the 80's not many 4X4's around and towed very large boats and trailers with station wagons and family cars with rear wheel drive only, no ABS and only drum brakes.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

good tip on the CAA. Maintenance is so key.

Just another option to consider;
My boat fully rigged (115 Merc, 9.9 Honda, Bowmount + gear), tandem trailer & 115 L of gas was scaled @ 2,850 lbs w/ tongue weight of 255 lbs.
Trailer is equipped with surge breaks that are inspected/serviced every year.
I tow with a 2008 Hyundai Veracruz w/ 3.8 L & AWD. Touch wood, I've never had any ramp or breaking issues & I average approx 19 L/100 K towing to Parry Sound (slightly better on the downhill return trip :) ).
On the other hand, my Outlaw tows a 16 ft tinny with a 2010 Santa Fe, 3.5 L FWD and he has ramp challenges on gravel/wet/muddy launches.
Bottom line;
1. do your homework and study the owner's manual of any vehicle you are considering purchasing.
2. Due diligence on your trailer maintenance and pay attention to your tires.
3. Don't exceed the maximum speed rating. Lesson learned & fortunate I have the tandem trailer.
4. Get the CAA RV Premium package ;)

I can provide a little feedback on my towing experience with an SUV.

I have a 18.5 Smokercraft Pro Mag, with 115HP Merc. I estimate its weight at 2200 pounds. I currently tow it with a 2010 Hyundai Veracruz AWD with a Class 3 Hitch, which is up to 5000 pounds. Generally speaking the vehicle tows fine. However there are a couple of things I don't like:

1) When connected to the vehicle, the backend sags down further then I would like.

2) Not enough torque in this engine.

3) When launching at some ramps, the water comes up over my exhausts, due to the backend being low. I have also dragged the spare tire along the ground when the launch ramp is steep.

One thing I did not take into account is Payload. If my vehicle is rated at 5000 pounds, it sounds like a big number. But 5000 - 2200 leaves me 2800. Put 3 people in the vehicle - say at 200 pounds each leaves me 2200. Load up the back end with gear....etc....and you get the picture.

I am going to be selling my car, and will buy a Truck -> most likely a Ram 1500 with Diesel. It will be a daily driver, so I am getting Diesel more for that, then for towing - though 420 pounds of torque will be nice to have!!

Will you be able to tow fine with a SUV - Yes. Will it be the best vehicle for the size of boat you buy - that depends on how much weight you are adding to the boat/vehicle, where you are launching (nice road/ramp vs backroad/ramp). Should also advise I have never had an issue pulling the boat out of the water.

In terms of safety, I have never felt unsafe towing with the SUV - except once during stopping - but that was my fault (did not leave enough distance, locked up the wheels).

Basically a SUV is a compromise vehicle IMO -> it does a lot of things ok, including towing. But it is not the best vehicle for it.

the veracruz is not even an SUV, it's a crossover vehicle. true SUVs like the 4runners, grand cherokees, tahoes, etc are a completely different ball game then these crossover vehicles when it comes to towing.

My boat is 1100 lbs, motor is 400

With gear, 3 batteries, full tank of gas I spec'd my towing weight out at 2200. Other vehicles that have been used to tow it, Ford F150, jeep liberty

If you go to some car websites like auto park and auto dome they will show spec on towing most of the times. One that caught my eye but I could not find one to test drive is the Chevy Traverse. Towing rating of 3500 lbs, loads of room and great gas mileage

Other thing I did was to use auto trader and pick SUV category. Type in the $ range and see they types of vehicles as we'll the dealers in your area that have good selections of brands. In around oakville you can test drive and look at a number of different SUV's on the same lot at Autopark, JP Motors and Autodome

I really like the Durango but I wanted more power features and navigation built in

One thing I did not take into account is Payload. If my vehicle is rated at 5000 pounds, it sounds like a big number. But 5000 - 2200 leaves me 2800. Put 3 people in the vehicle - say at 200 pounds each leaves me 2200. Load up the back end with gear....etc....and you get the picture.

You should really get educated when talking GVWR, towing and payload. I seriously doubt or rather yet, I make a hefty bet that your payload is no where near 2800, or no where even near 2000lbs. My 3/4Ton Ram has a payload of about 2200lbs. Towing capacity is around 13,000lbs