Favorite Crayfish Plastics

mattaw

I'd have to dig around and pull some out, but if memory serves they come with an internal rattle, and a couple of VMC jig heads. It was a great deal at the time, but boy do I have crawfish!!!

my kiddos love those ones if they are the same? Ther're sort of a transluscent color with orange pincers. They do catch bass

I'm old school I guess, my go to is always an uncle josh pork frog, mostly the crawfrog and phantom craw but have a handful of different cuts

I play around whatever fancy plastic craw looks cool at the store, but not brand loyal to anything specific except my uncle josh frogs

Big O's are an amazing lure. Funny you should mention it, I got my first big O off of a snag when I was wading a river for smallmouth when I was 14 or 15, It was a chartreuse big O, and I still have that lure today. It is one that has never been sacrificed to the fish gods (by me anyway). I now have a box full of them! They are probably my number 1 bass crank, and I have inadvertently landed many pickerel, musky, crappie etc. on them as well!

Big O's are an amazing lure. Funny you should mention it, I got my first big O off of a snag when I was wading a river for smallmouth when I was 14 or 15, It was a chartreuse big O, and I still have that lure today. It is one that has never been sacrificed to the fish gods (by me anyway). I now have a box full of them! They are probably my number 1 bass crank, and I have inadvertently landed many pickerel, musky, crappie etc. on them as well!

At my parents cottage it is only about 15 feet deep at the deepest and packed with Milfoil thick enough to stand on. The depth the Big O runs is perfect to keep the lure right in the strike zone. Beginning of the year too, when the milfoil is still growing, it skims right over the top without getting hung up.

Big O's don't work....you have to spend $25 on a hand-painted Japanese crankbait to catch bass. :tease:

:worthy: That's what I've been doing wrong. I tried trolling with a $20 bill, caught nothing.. hahaha

Edited by mattaw

I have never used any crayfish imitation baits.

Is that because you live in real province where you can still use REAL LIVE ones?

I quit bass fishing when they banned transporting crayfish over land in Ontario. Honestly I miss catching the crayfish more than the bass. Catching the crayfish took skill the bass not at all, once you knew the trick for the quarry I used to fish LOL.

i like the gary yamamoto flappin hogs. i usually use natural colours. greens, browns, blacks

the legs are fragile though. they only last maybe 2 or 3 fish

yamamoto-flappin-hog.jpg

This is my go to

I fish mine Split shot rigged

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FCRQlbB85k&list=UUE7AzcjFOafmhcoHRaWBtmA&feature=c4-overview

That's a flappin hogg hanging out of that fishes mouth as well as this creek fishes

DSC01802_zpsf1a3b2a9.jpg

On the big O, any other colors than craw work well for you guys, Never used them before, I may have to go pick up a few... and by a few......

Chartreuse. I own Big O's in most sizes and colors, but the chartreuse is the number one producer for me. All of them are decent though, the fish just love that tight little wiggle!

I think what this thread has shown is that a lot of quality fishermen use a lot of different lures to catch the same fish.

Sale hunt, try different profiles/rigs/colours and you'll find what works where & when.

It's more about how you fish the bait. Most people new to soft plastics fish them way too fast or pop them way too much.

I think what this thread has shown is that a lot of quality fishermen use a lot of different lures to catch the same fish.

Sale hunt, try different profiles/rigs/colours and you'll find what works where & when.

It's more about how you fish the bait. Most people new to soft plastics fish them way too fast or pop them way too much.

Pretty spot on. I have been using soft plastics forever, just haven't really had early success craw ones, so I focused on what produced, but go curious.

Fishing for me is great because it is always changing, things aren't set in stone.

You guys are awesome, and the variety shown in terms of what people prefer is really eye opening. Thanks :clapping:

Net Bait paca craws are amazing I use them as trailers, flipping with a punch weight, texas, carolina, even weightless or shakey head, skys the limits with these things, But my go to jig trailer is the zoom ultravibe speed craw.

For colours I usually stick to my pumpkins and watermelons, but I also like my blues and purples.

every one has a go to bait but these soft plastic craws are definitely mine.