Spinning reel $100-140 range

BowSlayer101

hey guys, I'm looking to get a spinning reel for my bass setup, looking for a higher end reel to go with my 7' simax exclusive med/heavy action, i was thinking either the Abu Revo SX ask can get it on sale for 135 at bps in a week, or the Pflueger Supreme XT which i can get around the same price, any suggestions are much appreciated, thanks!

I have the pfleuger supreme xt, and have had 0 issues with it over 2 seasons of moderate use, great reel IMO no bail problems or anything, my friend has a stradic and has had a bunch of issues with it so I am very pleased with my purchase

In my opinion when you are gong higher end stuff (over 100$) you need to think about servicing and replacement and service. I would look at shimano reels, and think about the stradic fj for a little more. The reel will last you a long time, and if you even need parts for it you can easily find them. Especially living in the GTA you can make a run to shimano in Peterborough and get your stuff serviced.

All the other companies to me seem like faceless organizations in comparison.

I love shimano gear and own many of their reels, however I have numerous diawas and have never had an issue. I have a 1300 and a 700 that have way more fish than they should be rightfully entitled to, and both have had only the barest essential maintenance with 0 failures. Diawa builds good gear!! Over all the years I have been fishing, I have had only 2 major failures, 1 diawa, 1 shimano. I know a couple of guys personally that have had pfluegers fail within a year of purchase, one buddy having had several issues with a couple of reels and read of many more failures online. I stay away from pfluegers, but your mileage may vary. Diawa or shimano, you can't go wrong. And while a little bit dated, I believe the 1300/700 line of diawas are quite possibly the most bullet proof reels around! If I wanted something from shimano, I'd add a few more dollars to your budget and get a stradic. I own 3 and they are all very solid!

im gonna stop by at sail today and have a loo at the stradic and pfleuger, all the reviews i read for all reels have mixed reviews, both the shimano and pflueger have near 5 stars and pflueger is known for quality from the president, I've heard guys say that shimano is amazing and some guys say that they'll never go back after using pflueger, lol. I'll just see which one fees better and has a better drag, I'm debating over a shimano or a pflueger right now.

In my opinion; you're not going to find too much difference in reels from $80-$120, they're all damn good!

Some tend to balance a little better than others (less wobble when spinning) but you'll go out of your mind trying to determine the BEST $100 reel. I've always ended up with Shimano because I've never been disappointed and I can recommend the Symetre or Saros without hesitation.

I really like my Shimano Symetres. Never liked the feel of the Pflueger's and have had problems with my Daiwa reels. I have some lower end Abu Garcia's that I use for ice fishing that I think are great too.

I'd still probably stick with something made by Shimano. Doesn't hurt to keep an eye out for online sales either. I picked up some closeout Symetres from American Legacy Fishing for $79 each free shipping last year.

thanks for the input guys, i looked at some shimanos, i didn't really like the sahara, the drag was as good as the pfluegers i looked at but the design wasn't the best and the huge reel handle didn't really get my vote, i looked at some stradics, the cheaper white ones were ok and not far from my budget regular price 190, i could have gotten it for 150, i liked the stradic for 280 but thats was way out of my budget, the guys there recommended the shimanos and the pfluegers, they all told me that some guys like shimanos, others pfluegers, they all perform sty about the same level if they aren't abused. I looked at a daiwa but the guys there said its a problematic reel, so i looked at the pflueger supreme xt and the even more expensive one, didn't see a difference between the two, i though it wasn't worth the extra 50 bucks, i ended up getting the pflueger supreme xt, the experienced older guy at sail said he has had one since it came out and never had any issues, just gotta take care of it. They spooled it with 15 lb power pro for me, came with a reel glove and an extra spool, weights 8.5 ounces, carbon fibre handle and magnesium body, regular price was 150, they gave it to me for 120, overall I'm pleased with it, looks great, drag is amazing, really light, it met my expectations, heres a few pics:IMG_20140223_170820_zpsa7948791.jpgIMG_20140223_170653_zps5dc18851.jpg[/urlIMG_20140223_170637_zpscaf8da2f.jpg