Sportsmen's Show ?

Kawartha Kev

After I said 23 years ago I would never go back to the "Want to build a Mansion in Muskoka Show " oops I mean Sportsman show I succumbed to peer pressure and went back. I was right 23 years ago. Let's see 20 bucks to park, 25 for the opportunity to go shopping, another 125 in fuel, and that's Rez price. A hot dog for 8 bucks, I didn't even look to see what a 10 dollar draught beer looks like, please, come on man. Bass Pro, Sail Store or Gander Mountain even provides free parking.

The days of walking around and filling bags of free swag are long gone. For some that weren't alive in the 70's you could walk around and fill bags full of lures, line, terminal tackle, discount cards for fish camps. I had the first Ultralight rod and reel in the gang, $5.00, I payed $5.00 and still use it. We saw some great demonstrations by pro's from the dogs to getting bombed with good old Red Fisher. You didn't need to drink with him to get a buzz, just smelling his breath would get you tipsy. A new skinny kid with hair doing trick casts into the giant aquarium, what was his name??????? Bob Isuzu or something, nice kid. But we told him get a day job, no one is going to pay you to fish for a living for goodness sakes, his brother was there too, tall guy, he was telling him the same thing. That's a true story. My buddy knew them from Waterdown I think.

Save your money, stay away in my opinion, save it for the fishing show. I knew I should have stayed home, could have out that money towards a new rod and reel.

Ya these shows charge the vendors to have booths. . It,s a cash grab from the top to the bottom.

Bring the vendors in,NO CHARGE.. Ask say 10 dollar entry per person. Kids under 12 free,WAIT, 15 and under.(Their kids still). Now you might get more people coming in and find some deals.

Nice idea, but if you bring the vendors in at no charge, how do you cover the cost of renting the Direct Energy Centre for a week? Do you any idea what that costs?

How do you cover the cost of temporary event insurance, temporary event staffing (including all the parking lot attendants, cleaners, people in ticket booths ... they may work for the CNE but for that week, you're paying their salaries) ... not to mention electricty, carpet rentals for the aisles, facilities charges, security, advertising/marketing ... none of that stuff is free you know. It doesn't take long till that five day show costs well over a half-million bucks before you've even opened the doors.

And when you do open up, you better hope attendance is good because you have exactly five days to make enough money to pay all of your company's bills and all of your staff salaries for the rest of the year.

Still think it's a "cash grab from top to bottom?"

Shows are expensive business. But they're good entertainment.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Exactly what venture isn't a cash grab? That's the idea behind our system of capitalism, getting the most sales revenue coupled with minimal cost and demanding the highest price the market will bear in order to maximize profit. I wouldn't want to be the CEO of a company telling the board "well ladies and gentlemen we could have made more money but we wanted to give the consumer a break this quarter." Oh I'm fired, wow, may I ask as to why?

Heck young Christopher K knows that.

In times where demand exceeds supply the formula was COST PLUS PROFIT = PRICE, now its PRICE MINUS COST =PROFIT OR LOSS.

Im not sure about all these ones but it looks like there will be some smaller brands there as well as two stores lets hope its a good show. Angler’s Choice Bass Magnet Lures Freedom Tackle JB’s Fishing Depot Live Target Pro J Fishing Tackle RahFISH? The Perfect Jig Tye 1 on Lures Ultra Tungsen Water Wolf Lures

I am looking forward to Advanced Taxidermy they always have awesome stuff and I hope my 54" musky is done

St.Croix Rods shopping time

Charles Weiss art crazy and kooky Charles has killer wood carvings of all fish

Anglers Choice we need to stock up on some new colored minnow baits for the Detroit river fishing this spring

Water Wolf lures Mike has new colors of his Tubes and Shadzillas that I need to pick up for this summer musky fishing he is also working on a custom color for me I hope we get it worked out before the season starts it will rock Deadliest Catch will be cool if some of the guys were there and see what they think about our winter LOL (yes I am sure they are out fishing right now)

Taking in a couple seminars I hope I have time in the day to do all I want to.

I get the fact that isn't as it was once back in the early 80's an I also realize that "Gas" prices aren't the same either!

With everything going up everyday except our paychecks.....

It for me an my Family is more about having a day together an actually checking out new stuff, regargdless if I choose to buy or not.

I know its a few "bucks" just to park an walk around. But if you don't go eventually they will stop having it an we will be on a "NEW" topic....." Where Did The Shows Go"

I think its a heck of alot better walking around there than going to a mall with the family and looking at clothes and stuff.

Its only once a year and I personally would rather spend it there..

Its kinda like a payback to the wife and kid for all the days sitting, standing and walking in a busy ignorant filled mall..

If you guys/Gals don't go than when its gone "Don't be the 1st to bugger "Where Did It go"

Just my 2 cents.

play safe flip

I got talking to the electrician at Spring Fishing Show.

350K up front.

Then Advertizing.

Then insurance.

Plus Staff.

So 500k before you sell 1 ticket.

And when you do open up, you better hope attendance is good because you have exactly five days to make enough money to pay all of your company's bills and ll of your staff salaries for the rest of the year.

Still think it's a "cash grab from top to bottom?"

Shows are expensive business. But they're good entertainment.

Thats friggn nuts.

This would explain no great deals at these shows anymore.

I choose to actually go fishing this weekend, instead of bumping through a crowd, at a pseudo fishing show

Beauty day to be out Chris.

Edited by Misfish

This might help with the attendance, Sun News was down there last night and interviewed Keith Beasley of "Canada in the Rough"

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/3162881898001

and

"Brian learns to fly fish and about great fishing retreats."

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/featured/prime-time/867432237001/train-in-fishing/3167680448001

They also talked about the fur industry and more.

Was there for most of the day today meeting with various people and schmoozing.

It is what it is. Definitely a shadow of what it used to be in its glory days, but not a bad way to kill an afternoon. Especially in the midst of this crappy winter.

Don't go there looking for deals though, you'll be disapointed.

The last one I attended was a couple years back at the convention center, and that was a horrible venue.

The Direct Energy building at the Ex is phenominal in comparison.

Went today & Boy was it PACKED!!!

was the first Toronto show for me & was quite good in my opinion. I have never fly fished before & found the demo quite informative - going to try it.

A lot of vendors for tackle - did not really check any pricing as I prefer to support my local shop here in London. (Lambeth Rod & Tackle)

Certainly drooled alitlle at some of the boats...

Nice to see all the outfitters available & got to meet Martin & Jennifer from outpostcamps.com in person.

Mr. Borger is quite the celebrity- I saw his picture in a few booths. :clapping:

Has anyone seen this:

http://www.oodmag.com/contests/fly-in-fishing-contest/

Better sign up!

Cheers!

Scott

Was there today with my wife and kids. It is .... 1/3 of what is used to be. We spent 1.5 hrs to 2 hrs and more than covered everything, and that was with a 2 and 4 year old in tow. Underground parking at $14 was nice, was able to leave all the jackets in the vehicle. I renewed my OFAH membership while I was there.... over $50 for one adult for one year.... getting expensive.

Entropy

Was also there today... Waited 30 mins in line after parking to get in.. Picked up my new Humminbirds today.. No Tax and Radio World and Lebarons and one came with the Navionics plus... Did my homework on prices before I left... Look at BPS, SAIL, Lebarons, Radio World, Ebay and BBC & WC forums and I think I did better than I hoped for with all new 2014 units..Can't wait for the installs and updating my own lakes on this card....

Tiz

Still didn't see anyone from the board today (besides Brian). But at least it was very busy compared to the last couple days.

I was going to say that you saw me, but yes it from everything i saw this year it is allot smaller this year. since they changed from the convention center it has seemed to be getting smaller each year

Anyone happen to notice what a Lowrance Elite 7-HDI (with Navionics Gold chip) is going for at the show? Stopped at LeBaron's on Friday night and their no tax sale doesn't apply to this unit since it is already at a "special price" (~$830). So at the show are they not charging tax on this?

Thanks

Greg

Elite 7 HDI Gold is $769.00 + tax at BPS... Radio World had it there for $820.00 no tax..

Spoke with a Lowrance rep and a Humminbird rep as I was originally looking for the Elite 7 HDI Gold and asked if it compared to the Humminbird 859 DI ? Which had a better/cleaner DI and better processor ? I had asked the Humminbird rep and he said I should be talking to the Lowrance rep.. Funny and actually surprised he said that the BIRD was a better unit... Quicker processor and was a full HD unit... The Lowrance wasn't HD... So I picked up the 899ci SI/DI for my console and the 859ci HD XD for my bow... Along with the Navionics plus card that was part of the deal... All no tax.

Tiz

Actually made it down to the show today just to get away from the cold of this winter and was not expecting anything to great. It is definitely getting smaller from years gone by but was still a nice little escape from a cold hard winter. It is getting quite expensive though and not much in the way of freebies given out other than the odd food sample. I did get a free lure when I was renewing my fishing license which I will probably never use but still a better day than what I was expecting but not by much.

Kawartha Kev

Elite 7 HDI Gold is $769.00 + tax at BPS... Radio World had it there for $820.00 no tax..

Spoke with a Lowrance rep and a Humminbird rep as I was originally looking for the Elite 7 HDI Gold and asked if it compared to the Humminbird 859 DI ? Which had a better/cleaner DI and better processor ? I had asked the Humminbird rep and he said I should be talking to the Lowrance rep.. Funny and actually surprised he said that the BIRD was a better unit... Quicker processor and was a full HD unit... The Lowrance wasn't HD... So I picked up the 899ci SI/DI for my console and the 859ci HD XD for my bow... Along with the Navionics plus card that was part of the deal... All no tax.

Tiz

Thanks for the info. Will check them both out at the show next week.

The last time I went it was at the Convention Center. Bad venue and no need to go back. I prefer the Spring Fishing Show. I buy some bargain bin lures and occasionally a rod and reel. I still go but I could probably buy the same items at Fishing World, SAIL or BPS and save myself the price of admission.

I looked into hosting a booth at the Sportsman Show this year. Bloody expensive! Almost $1500 for a 10' x 10' plus tax, plus other setup expenses!

I was in Fort Myers last week for the Florida Sportsman expo, and it was only $600, and wifi and electricity $15 for the 2 days!

So, I'm setting up at the Spring Fishing & Boating show instead. Half the price (with a half-booth option), and free parking!

Plus, Bob Izumi and Dave Mercer will be there :)

I looked into hosting a booth at the Sportsman Show this year. Bloody expensive! Almost $1500 for a 10' x 10' plus tax, plus other setup expenses!

I was in Fort Myers last week for the Florida Sportsman expo, and it was only $600, and wifi and electricity $15 for the 2 days!

So, I'm setting up at the Spring Fishing & Boating show instead. Half the price (with a half-booth option), and free parking!

Plus, Bob Izumi and Dave Mercer will be there :)

What booth is it? I will try and stop by. Had I heard of the half booth I would have got one for next weekend. Next year 10x10 at the spring show