colorado blades VS willowleaf

bass_man

On 90% of my fishing spinner baits of various sized are my lures of choice but over the years I have been very successful with Colorado bladed spinners but not so much with willow leaf.

Anyone else have a preference or an opinion as to why this should happen?

Jim

Depends on the fishing conditions for me.. If I want to stay up high in the water column and have a slower presentation, then Colorado blade it is.. If I want to burn, then I'll run a willowleaf in that same situation.. If I wanna fish some deeper weed edges or drop offs, nothing beats a slow rolled spinnerbait with willowleaf blades.

I am the opposite. I definitely prefer willow leaf spinner baits for everything from 1/4 oz to 1 1/2 oz sizes. In my mind they shed weeds easier, pull easier, maybe run a little deeper. I like that they are more subtle and don't thump as hard. And I like them better for trolling. Does blade type really make a difference ? Maybe a little from day to day, but probably not as much as we think. You just use what feels right. Andy

Edited by Andy

I think getting the lure in the fishes face might have a lot to do with it. My biggest walleye 28 inches came on a slow rolled spinner bait with Colorado blades, the very next cast got me a 14-15 inch Crappie. Stupid fish! It's a bass lure! LOL

spinnerbaits are my favourite pre spawn walleye lure. There outstanding for big fish

Colorado for shallower presentation Indiana blades for medium depth and a deep or faster presentation a willow !!!! I mostly use Colorado and Indiana blades on my worm harnesses !!!!! They both put out a lot more "thump " and vibration than a willow blade they are more visual and make less vibration than the other blades !!!!

I have found that for LMB I use Colorado blades most of the time, I find they like the thumping blades and the slower moving bait. For SMB I use the willowleaf and reel that spinnerbait about as fast as I can. I find the SMB like the bait to be burning since they love to chase bait down.

Water clarity also comes into play, when murky I use colorado, when clear, its willowleaf.

one of my favourite spinnerbaits is the BPS model with an interchangeable clevis...I'm always tinkering with blades, bending blades, drilling offset holes to mount them, adding a strip of flash, etc, etc

some days it just doesn't matter if the bite is hot, but there are the days that tinkering pays off big time

Thanks guys, I thought that there may be more to it than just dumb luck. I think I will go ahead and try a few willow blade spinners this year. What do you think about a number 3 willow leaf on a safety pin with a 1/4 oz jig and a twister tail.

Jim

Thanks guys, I thought that there may be more to it than just dumb luck. I think I will go ahead and try a few willow blade spinners this year. What do you think about a number 3 willow leaf on a safety pin with a 1/4 oz jig and a twister tail.

Jim

money in some situations Edited by manitoubass2

Jim

I run crappie spinnerbaits for bass when the conditions call for it, they absolutely destroy them, lol!