Fishing Regulations

Mike the Pike

:angry: Well this has been on my mind since last weekend in the BOQ.Well the place we were staying just around the time Myself and some other OFC ers were gathered around the fire.Well late that evening I see some old fellows cleaning fish.Anyway I walked up and took a look and I was a little turned off as to what I saw.There must have been about 10 fish over 9lbs being cleaned.Now if fisherman are only aloud to keep one fish over 25 inches this was not the case last Saturday.Also someone had the nerve to ask someone I new what the fishing regulations were for the BOQ while there catch was ready to be sliced.I respect anyone who follows the rules.I do beleive we are aloud to keep one fish over 25 inches and the other 3 under 25 inches if one has the sportsman license.Here is a bunch of guys slicing away and its not right. I am from out of province and I take the time to read the regulations and respect them.So my point is if you don't know the fishing rules then stay off the BOQ.This was really bothering me so now it is off my chest.Lets hope more people can take the time to read the regulations and if they don't know please ask the locals before you come back with your catch.It is a delecate fishery lets preserve it for future generations. :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

yeah

that pissed me off too

and some guys were cleaning big fish two days in a row..

I guess they could each eat 10lbs of fish each day but I don't think so

Then why not call the ministry?

Two days in a row>? Like someone allready said we need to help preserve and protect our fisheries.

We were on the dock when two boats of them came in and they asked us if we knew what the regs where as to "slot" size. We informed them one fish over 25" only. We thought it pretty strange to bring in fish and then ask what the regs on them...but none illegal from the two boats. Two guys in the smaller boat had 2 fish and three in the other had three fish.

Could have been a few guys given the job of cleaning the whole groups catch. A dicy area if a CO happened to walk in...but then again you'd never want a CO looking in the cleaning room at Lakair when we all throw fish at TJ and Kevin to clean to feed 60 of us for Saturday's fish fry.

well I had no proof..and if they did eat them or give them away, then they were breaking no laws....so yeah it pissed me off that they were killing fish that are too big to eat, IMHO

I spoke to the guy cleaning them, and told them the size limit

I even said they need to leave a patch of skin on them

and said I was expecting the MNR to show up over the weekend....

I felt that talking to them would be the most effective way to handle it....

We all see things out there that piss us off each and every year. How many posts do we read that say some thing along the lines of not bothering to call the CO or not wanting to get involved. If we all sit idley by and watch these things happen then the fisheries will slowly be depleted. There is nothing wrong with calling on people. It is in our best interest. So what if they didn't know the reg's, thats the hole point, you gotta know the reg's. They must have known they might be doing something wrong or they would not have asked just to be sure!!! Ive called on people, seen guys snagging salmon, bows,carp.. all kinds of crap. Some times the CO's show up some times they dont, but its worth the call.

Thats my rant

Cheers

I have called the police/mnr 5 times this year

I've confronted 15 more people, taking pictures and driving up to their boats and telling them they are breaking the law....

I have almost come to blows with people over it...I dumped about 8 white buckets into the canal because they had bass in them before bass season, and never once has the police or mnr showed up in time to do anything, if they showed up at all.....so what have you done.....

I get pissed off and I do my part in spades...if I decide to talk to the guy rather then call the MNR is my decision...it's pretty easy to sit behind a computer and be all holy..so what have you done today

I also observed those guys at Merlands cleaning up those double digits. DouG was there chatting with them and I wandered over for a look. When I was there, they had 4 hens on the choppin block, all double digits. As I had lost my voice that day, all I could do was whisper and I asked them "are you guys gonna eat those fish?" and the reply was "well I'm not filletting them for practice".

Based on what I could see, they were within their rights to keep the 4 fish, there were four guys standing there all smiles slaughtering four of the bay's finest. They were obviously from "outta province" so I asked them if they had big fish like those where they come from and they laughed and said no, to which I responded "well we won't have any left here if you guys keep keeping fish like these." They only smiled and kept cutting... I know myself and FishnSled were pretty "DISAPPOINTED" that they did what they did, but as I said, it appeared that they "were within their rights".

I see it every year, I bugs the crap outta me, but their's nothing we can do as long as the reg are, what the regs are. :(

BTW - I don't have a problem with an angler keeping a trophy for the wall, most guys will only keep one, in their lifetime so it's ok with me, but pure meat hunting.... it's sad! And to make matters even more rediculus, those fish (any Quinte walleye) TASTE LIKE CRAP!

HH

what does" ways of cooking" have to do with a 20+ year old fish that the fish eatting books states you should not eat if over 22 inches and 20" only 2 meals a year, but not by children or pregnat woman....oh yeah some good eatting there

Talked first hand with a gentleman that was charged last year because he didn't have the head to tail of the fish he'd cleaned to go along with the fillets he had in his cooler. He accepted the fine as his own stupidity/forgetfullness. Regs state if you are fishing a size limit lake the fish must be readily measurable at all times, UNLESS and where it gets comfusing....they are being prepared for immediate consumption (which was what he was doing as heading for a shore lunch), prepared at an overnight accom for storage, being transported on the water from a temporary overnight accom to your primary residence and you are not engaged in fishing at the time, being transported overland. The last one would tell me that as soon as you are on the ramp you can fillet and discard the "evidence". Doesn't make a whole lotta sense to me.

I don't eat the large fish myself but I certainly don't think there's anything wrong with them. Unless of course you're having them with a side order of fresh spinach and washed down with a glass of 'bio' carrot juice.

:unsure: Thanks Terry, the fish I saw that night were 30 inches or more .How do I know this just by looking .I caught 3 huge fish that day 9.9,11.4,and 11.8.Also there were around 10 fish that I could see 30 inches or more.If everyone was legal that night so be it.I don't have proof.like Wayne had mentioned there were 3 gents cleaning fish for many probably more.Anyway I believe in throwing back the big ones .These huge females are great spauners which lay alot of eggs in the spring.Certain people have the right to fish all year round in the BOQ and I will have to respect this because this is a way of life for these people.During the spawn alot of fish are harvested in shallow water with spears. So if we can do our part and let the big fish go this may preserve the fishery for our children.Everyone talks about the 90's and how great the fishing was it would be nice to return to those days if we were all careful.Some people are out to fill their freezers and some just their limit.I read a post last week how folks were fishing off the pier and were going to sell their catch later.I think some people missed the point here.I have to agree the big ones taste like crap. :worthy::worthy::worthy::P

And to make matters even more rediculus, those fish (any Quinte walleye) TASTE LIKE CRAP!

HH

We (two of us) kept a couple of the bigguns (one each) from last year .... sorry if it offends some .. but those were the only walleye either of us got to eat for the past two years (didnt make it out this year) so I dont really feel too guilty about it ... and IMHO they tasted FABULOUS ... I fully agree though that meat hunting is best done at the butcher.

On another note, when keeping fish from a slot-limit area not only are you required to keep some skin on the fillet but you must also keep the whole skeleton (head and Tail on) to show you were within the slot. Just a safety issue to avoid some poor uninformed guy who gets stopped and charged with a crime he didnt commit.

Edited by camillj

I ALWAYS like to fill my cooler before checking or asking about the regs, it sure is easier than throwing the over size, out of slot, and over the limit fish back! If after the fact I should find out that any fish are too big or if I have too many I fillet them and then cut them up into small pieces, that way if anybody checks them I tell them all the meat came from one giant fish.... as far as pollutants go, they aint killed me yet and add a nice Zing to the meat! ;)

I have called the police/mnr 5 times this year

I've confronted 15 more people, taking pictures and driving up to their boats and telling them they are breaking the law....

I have almost come to blows with people over it...I dumped about 8 white buckets into the canal because they had bass in them before bass season, and never once has the police or mnr showed up in time to do anything, if they showed up at all.....so what have you done.....

I get pissed off and I do my part in spades...if I decide to talk to the guy rather then call the MNR is my decision...it's pretty easy to sit behind a computer and be all holy..so what have you done today

Well... I did lots today... none of them have to be justified to you Terry! Its to bad you didn't get the results you were looking for when you tried to do what was right. But dont get pissed at me cause I voiced my opion. Dont judge me....you have no idea what I'm about or what I have or havent done.

Terry................10 pounds of fish...................You seen me eat so have a other few from the board..............But from BOQ.................................NOT.LOL

I agree WHY BOTHER..................... :worthy::worthy:

Ok...group hug.....

Come here ducky,I,ll give ya a hug :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim: