Ice storm claims another victim...my outboard!

ch312

Apparently a branch fell recently which tore a 12" hole in the tarp shelter where I store my boat all year. As luck would have it, this hole was directly above my outboard (stored half up with a transom saver in place) which allowed some rain from the recent storm to fall into the end of the prop and into the lower unit.

The entire prop is now pushed out about 3/'8" and I can see metal that I shouldn't be able to see sticking out of the lower unit. I can also see ice if I look into the end of the prop.

How bad is it? :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Well, nothing beats some 2am cursing and swearing. So far I've discovered that the metal shavings are from the stripped threads of the #68 nut.

Worst news so far is the bearing housing #61 is broken. Please don't tell me the lower unit casing is toast...

All because a stupid friggin stick tore a hole in the shelter! I think Mr. Tree is going to meet Mr. Chainsaw after this :angry:

That sucks hard man, my favourite outboard was ruined due to a half frozen lower unit that had sucked up a little water before winter, i would take it to someone who knows what they are doing to get an honest assesment of its condition. Also the sooner you get it warmed up the less damage it can do

I normally park my boat beside the tree in my backyard for the winter. Do to weather and other plans I had not had a chance to get around to doing this yet. Someone was looking out for me as my boat would have been in bad shape with the limb that came down. I would think your insurance should cover the repairs, still sucks though.

I setup the ice fishing heater the same night and let it run all night beside the lower to get all the water/ice out.

I'm really hoping the threads of the lower housing aren't damaged and just the threads on the bearing carrier and retaining nut are stripped. Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to work that way :wallbash:

If the threads on the lower unit housing are stripped, is there any way of repairing them?

I can't see this happening from just rain water. Did you check the lower unit before storage??

My engine has sat outside tilted up for the last 20 years, and always has a bit of water/ice in there. Never had an issue.

Sorry to hear this, but I have a feeling your lower unit was full of water to start with. I hope I'm wrong.....

S.

I can't see this happening from just rain water. Did you check the lower unit before storage??

My engine has sat outside tilted up for the last 20 years, and always has a bit of water/ice in there. Never had an issue.

Sorry to hear this, but I have a feeling your lower unit was full of water to start with. I hope I'm wrong.....

S.

Ya, somethig not adding up quite right here unless I'm really missing something!

I will expect the claim to be denied because the seal if intact would have prevented water from getting inside the housing and doing the damage. I would look into the price for a rebuilt unit rather than repair. The extent of the damage could be greater than what you repair and destruct a second time when you start the fishing season.

Art