Job posting at OFAH

Big Cliff

For a grad starting out it isn't a bad wage.. it's Monday to Friday for the most part and it involves meeting and networking which will lead to better opportunity in the future. And the cost of living and proximity to good fishing makes Peterborough a decent place to live

Thanks for posting Cliff. A great start for someone indeed.

To all those that think $20/hour is lame. Your lifestyles must really be something I can't imagine. I make marginally more then that and have put 30 plus years in where I work. The wife and I are in good shape financially and will retire at 55. I would think that a young couple today with both of them making that kind of money starting out would have a real good shot at a decent future for themselves.

Again Cliff thanks for trying to help someone out.

$20 an hour for this area is great for any entry level job, any job in fact. Not sure where everyone lives that you think that this is a low wage. What do people do for a living who feel this is low? Anything over $20/hr is usually a union position and a bonus for unemployed individuals in the Kawarthas.

+1. Very well said.

Explain? I'm a dick for what? For saying that the job posted is a decent wage for a young person that would be able to live well up in Peterborough due to the lower costs of living up there, for example.... Housing costs??? Is this offensive to anyone????

Some here need to give there a head a shake in unison to actually read and comprehend what my comments were in this post.

This thread needs to be locked as it has gone from a notification of a job posting to a banter on the wage being offered, and the semantics of everything to do with this job.... One word; Winternet.

Edited by Chotchkies House

$20 an hour for this area is great for any entry level job, any job in fact. Not sure where everyone lives that you think that this is a low wage. What do people do for a living who feel this is low? Anything over $20/hr is usually a union position and a bonus for unemployed individuals in the Kawarthas.

I'll be totally honest (disclaimer, this is not me gloating, just an opinion)

I get paid well over that here in Edmonton, but to be totally honest, it's too much. If I wasn't saving to come back to Ontario I wouldn't know what to do with it (probably donate most of it) I have my boat and my car and a roof over my head. That's all I need to be more then happy.

$20 an hour for year round work sounds like more then enough to be able to sustain and go fishing on weekends.

You're in the land of opportunity Jeremy! I hear that from many that have went out west for work.

Thanks for sharing the posting Cliff. I forwarded it to a friend in Peterborough that is well educated in that field and having a hard time finding employment.

i think part of the issue is the amount of debt most students come out of university with. add having to pay for living expenses on top of the student loan payments your not left with very much working for 20 an hour after the tax man takes his cut.

Still better than having to take work in an unrelated field and a heck of a lot better than working at minimum wage in an unrelated field. It's a place to start, a foot in the door and an opportunity (the three hardest things to find when you are fresh out of school) to advance up the ladder and a higher rate of pay.

To clarify, particularly for anyone looking to apply to the job, it's with the Ontario Invasive Plant Council, which is its own registered not-for-profit entity. The OIPC is housed at the OFAH, and we provide some support (like helping with hiring) and have a seat on its board, but it does its own thing. So while it will help a bit to know about the OFAH when you apply, it will really help to read up on the OIPC:

http://www.ontarioinvasiveplants.ca/

Yours in Conservation,

Chris Robinson

OFAH

To clarify, particularly for anyone looking to apply to the job, it's with the Ontario Invasive Plant Council, which is its own registered not-for-profit entity. The OIPC is housed at the OFAH, and we provide some support (like helping with hiring) and have a seat on its board, but it does its own thing. So while it will help a bit to know about the OFAH when you apply, it will really help to read up on the OIPC:

http://www.ontarioinvasiveplants.ca/

Yours in Conservation,

Chris Robinson

OFAH

Chris, thank you so much for posting this information!

Yours in Conservation also!

Big Cliff

i work in a team of 8, and I'm the only one without a university degree.

my sales numbers have been among the best in our team over the last four years.

with only a college diploma I had to start in a lower position, but once the door opens, the education becomes secondary.

government jobs are really the only ones that get truly stuck on education levels....the rest, I've found, depend on your abilities and skills.

I strongly agree, Im not the smartest when it comes to school but I tell everyone of my friends whats the difference between university and college? The best example I can give is my dad, went to college and was very successful, my mom on the other hand went to university and was a daycare teacher for a few years until my dad had the company going, it just goes to show that there is no difference other then stress and a piece of paper saying you graduated, I know a few people that get 80s and 90s in university but they are dumber than a door when it comes to talking about general stuff and saving money and investing. kids these days are brain washed by pointless theories, my best friend is at york for physiology and he tells me all this bulls*** about people and how they think and the problem is there're teaching us about the past and not the future and thats the problem

I strongly agree, Im not the smartest when it comes to school but I tell everyone of my friends whats the difference between university and college? The best example I can give is my dad, went to college and was very successful, my mom on the other hand went to university and was a daycare teacher for a few years until my dad had the company going, it just goes to show that there is no difference other then stress and a piece of paper saying you graduated, I know a few people that get 80s and 90s in university but they are dumber than a door when it comes to talking about general stuff and saving money and investing. kids these days are brain washed by pointless theories, my best friend is at york for physiology and he tells me all this bulls*** about people and how they think and the problem is there're teaching us about the past and not the future and thats the problem

Depends on the field of study. I also have similar stories about family members making it with minimal education, but there are plenty of careers that require a thorough education.

Edited by JBailey

Some of the smartest people I have ever met never spent a day in school after 9th grade. If someone gets a job right out of high school he can be investing and saving at the age of 19. If you spend 5 years and 100,000.oo (easy to do) you will be 10 years behind in time and money from the non college person. By the age of 40 the NCP can have his mortgage paid off 21 years paying only 20% more than the base payment and 21 years in his chosen job. Our college person is 10 years into his mortgage and only 10 years in a company if he had no problems finding the job and paid $20,000.oo a year plus interest to get back to neutral at the age of 30. Both are 40 years old. One has 20 years of blue collar training and has paid for his house and has investments and saving with the real potential to open his own business. The other depending on the field will have 10 years experience at least 10 years of mortgage some savings and a investment account. Guess who gets the business loan? Right the blue collar guy. When people look at college as a money ticket they rarely at the age they make that decision realize the timeline they are embarking on. Most find themselves out of college and heavily in debt with few jobs that can make the kind of money they need to get out of debt in a timely manner. I have nothing against college I think that everyone should make there decision as to what they want out of life. I am a hybrid I took classes as I found the need and interest which adds up to no degree but information that I use everyday. Remember it is not the employers job to pay off your debt he needs to get the best person for the job at the best price for the company. There are a lot of blue collar owners of companies that play golf on Friday with the doctors and the lawyers....

Art

Some of the smartest people I have ever met never spent a day in school after 9th grade. If someone gets a job right out of high school he can be investing and saving at the age of 19. If you spend 5 years and 100,000.oo (easy to do) you will be 10 years behind in time and money from the non college person. By the age of 40 the NCP can have his mortgage paid off 21 years paying only 20% more than the base payment and 21 years in his chosen job. Our college person is 10 years into his mortgage and only 10 years in a company if he had no problems finding the job and paid $20,000.oo a year plus interest to get back to neutral at the age of 30. Both are 40 years old. One has 20 years of blue collar training and has paid for his house and has investments and saving with the real potential to open his own business. The other depending on the field will have 10 years experience at least 10 years of mortgage some savings and a investment account. Guess who gets the business loan? Right the blue collar guy. When people look at college as a money ticket they rarely at the age they make that decision realize the timeline they are embarking on. Most find themselves out of college and heavily in debt with few jobs that can make the kind of money they need to get out of debt in a timely manner. I have nothing against college I think that everyone should make there decision as to what they want out of life. I am a hybrid I took classes as I found the need and interest which adds up to no degree but information that I use everyday. Remember it is not the employers job to pay off your debt he needs to get the best person for the job at the best price for the company.

Art

Totally agree, however some careers you simply cannot make the big bucks unless your edumacated.... Eg. CMA, Engineer, Nurse, ect.... And most start making the real coin right out of school. It really depends on the individual, and how motivated they are and how good they are at networking.

It is the profession you chose that dictates how much you can earn. From the example list you provided except the etc. I made more than they do by the age of 30 when I opened my own plumbing business. My house was on track to be paid off in 10 more years (past history) with 10 years of a 401K funded. College is a tool, one that is needed for select areas that have a heavy front loaded cost. It is not a bad thing it is one that a lot of the youth don't realize is my point. My pops is a retired Nuclear Radiologist I watched this process unfold from internship to retirement. The end did justify the means he retired with no worries of financial issues for himself and my Mom. The years when he was an intern and a few more we had a lot of mac and cheese and older cars to drive.

Art

One of the smartest men I ever knew had a grade 2 formal education. I myself quit school in grade 7 and went to work. I ended up starting and running a very successful business until I sold it in 2003 to retire. True, I did go back to school later, finished my high school and then went on to college but that was after I had started a family and had my feet solidly on the ground.

As an employer I often had people coming to me looking for jobs, some of the ones with degrees out the you know what had no idea how the real world worked.

I have always found and believed people with a great attitude, capability, focus, discipline and determination succeed and make their own good luck.

I am a 40 yr old college graduate with numerous learnings along the way both from the classroom and on the job. Post secondary education can help provide capability but is also a test/indicator whether someone is able to learn new, complex topics, make good decisions, the all important etc and can provide a glimpse of the possible future. How students applied and projected themselves during the education process and interview/relationship building process determines whether they get employed. As experience grows, we are still students and the same applies.

I also don't beileve it's always necessary for everyone to have post secondary training. Everyone is different with their goals and needs.

As the saying goes - whatever floats yer boat!

Like I said its a good pay for someone right out of college or university, but really someone with a Msc would actually take such a low paying job?

It's a good wage, and you could like like a king up in Peterborough

You think you can live like a king in Peterborough for 36 thousand dollars and change! Come on, man ! I struggle to make ends meet on that wage. And I do not live in a castle. Sometimes its better to measure twice and cut once if you get my drift.