Free range organic Turkey or Ham

tb4me

I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as "free range" turkeys. They are raised indoors in climate contolled barns on concrete. They are highly susceptible to a deadly disease when raised on dirt. (Blackhead).

How is raising them on a concrete floor covered in bedding any different than dirt? I've had the pleasure of catching some huge turkeys and it sure was interesting each time...

Yes we keep 10 Laying hens and about 15 rabbits right here in town..our lot is 150 x 75 so we also have a large garden too..Gotta have somewhere to be rid of all the rabbit and chicken manure..lol The poultry club meetings are held the first Monday of the month at the Paris fairgrounds.. Membership is 10 bucks a year. As far as staying legit that's all..By joining the club they ask that you show up to meetings and participate in club events. Such as the paris fair and a couple other small shows throughout the year

Awesome, thanks for the info. I had the rabbits for a while but the girlfriend wouldn't eat them so I gave up on those and have wanted to switch to chickens for a while now. I want to get some easter eggers for some cool looking eggs :canadian:

How is raising them on a concrete floor covered in bedding any different than dirt? I've had the pleasure of catching some huge turkeys and it sure was interesting each time...

It's complicated but worms that live in the ground carry the disease (Histomoniasis). Not sure why wild turkeys don't seem to get it.

Domestic turkeys are a unique breed that are bred specifically for the table. Their breast meat is so large, they cannot mate naturally.

The male can't reach. So if your kid doesn't know what they want to do with their lives, there's always a carrier as a Turkey BREEDER.

Edited by aplumma
control the language please

21-27 days is prime beef aging range.

Kobe and Certified Angus (certified is not the crap you buy at Sobey's marked 'black angus') are aged this long which is one third the reason for their incredible flavour and tenderness. Even how the cow is slaughtered will have an effect on the meat. It's little known but halal slaughter methods actually do produce a more tender cut in the end.

HOWEVER a grass fed cow will always produce a better marble and overall flavour if slaughtered and hung the same as a corn fed cow, that's just fact. They can both turn out pretty good though.

Grass fed beef can be grade F to Canada Prime in rating.

Corn fed never goes higher than AAA.

Cattle not fed grain for the last 3+ months before slaughter have very little marbling and fat cover. They can't eat enough grass and hay alone to fatten up. They need grain or corn silage to fatten. Aging the meat after slaughter is key. The carcass loses about 5% of weight/week of hanging. Supermarkets don't age meat at all. To much $ loss. That's why supermarket meat is hit and miss in terms of tenderness. A good butcher would be a better choice but you will pay more. Costco always has tender steak but they, as well as many supermarkets, mechanically tenderize their steak. This is controversial. CBC's Marketplace did a show last year on this topic. Mechanically tenderizing with a machine that punctures the loin, from which steaks are cut, potentially pushes E. Coli from the surface(where it is easily killed by heat) to the centre. Unless the steak is cooked well, there is risk of disease. For the same reason, Guys, never eat ground beef unless well done. Surface germs are mixed into the centre thru grinding. In a non mechanically tenderized piece of meat, germs on the outside are detroyed even if the meat is rare in the middle.

It's complicated but worms that live in the ground carry the disease (Histomoniasis). Not sure why wild turkeys don't seem to get it.

Domestic turkeys are a unique breed that are bred specifically for the table. Their breast meat is so large, they cannot mate naturally.

The male can't reach. So if your kid doesn't know what they want to do with their lives, there's always a carrier as a Turkey BREEDER.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Costco meat tastes like ....well. ....crap. Go see a real butcher. I raise beef. But dipietros in the k/w area comes to mind. Last time I was in there I picked up some 2 " thick t-bones. 5.99 a lb ...I can barely raise my own for that price. World of difference in taste from costco beef.

Cattle not fed grain for the last 3+ months before slaughter have very little marbling and fat cover. They can't eat enough grass and hay alone to fatten up. They need grain or corn silage to fatten. Aging the meat after slaughter is key. The carcass loses about 5% of weight/week of hanging. Supermarkets don't age meat at all. To much $ loss. That's why supermarket meat is hit and miss in terms of tenderness. A good butcher would be a better choice but you will pay more. Costco always has tender steak but they, as well as many supermarkets, mechanically tenderize their steak. This is controversial. CBC's Marketplace did a show last year on this topic. Mechanically tenderizing with a machine that punctures the loin, from which steaks are cut, potentially pushes E. Coli from the surface(where it is easily killed by heat) to the centre. Unless the steak is cooked well, there is risk of disease. For the same reason, Guys, never eat ground beef unless well done. Surface germs are mixed into the centre thru grinding. In a non mechanically tenderized piece of meat, germs on the outside are detroyed even if the meat is rare in the middle.

My grass fed beef is delicious, with plenty of fat.... The reason cattle are finished on corn is because there is less money to be made finishing on grass. It takes allot longer.

What aplumma said. We usually send ours to the butcher in the spring . We keep them in the barn all winter. Them move them out to a paddock for a week of excersize before processing. The only reason ours are grass/hay fed is its cheaper for us, and we only do 3 at a time. Tastes great to me ,

Edited by Freshtrax

Costco meat tastes like ....well. ....crap. Go see a real butcher. I raise beef. But dipietros in the k/w area comes to mind. Last time I was in there I picked up some 2 " thick t-bones. 5.99 a lb ...I can barely raise my own for that price. World of difference in taste from costco beef.

Used to love picking up meat from Stemmlers back when they still had the booth at St Jakobs