Scugog Ice Conditions

Entropy

• 2 weeks later...

I checked it late last week during the warm up, and it was deteriorating real bad.

A lot like spring ice, holes opening up, and fissures funneling water to holes, was looking real bad.

I will give it a check latter this week, but I would not expect anything 'safe' this weekend.

If cold temps persist, perhaps the following weekend, might be worth entertaining and checking out, but don't quote me on that.

Entropy

Edited by Entropy

Your 'idea' of solid ice and mine are very different Chris. Same with EVERYONE reading online.

I got a damp sock and shoe on Sunday right at shore on a lake that was "reported" to have 4" of ice. I hadn't even put my gear on yet to go fishing as I wanted to check the area 1st (no point in me over heating and my spot to test was safe). So right at shore I put a foot on the ice and I broke through. Due to the 1/2" or less of snow on it I couldn't tell from the dock I was on how thick it was. So I put a foot on it while holding on to things around me to not fall in. Yup, weak ice where someone posted the lake was safe. I knew in my mind the ice was thin as I could see warning signs telling me so but I still tested that one spot. This was an area posted as 'OK ice' online. I went another 15 min away on the same lake to find 6" to 4" from shore to 50' away from shore. Spud bar, floater suit and boots on then.

Never take what is posted online as "word". If you really want to go ice fishing then you need to gear up and do the drive and testing all on your own. Unless (and this is rare) a knowledgeable friend lives close to your intended fishing location and has tested it in the last 12/24 hours and tells you 1st hand what they found. Me, I like being told what they may have found but I still want to know 1st hand because it's me in danger out there 100% of the time.

Your 'idea' of solid ice and mine are very different Chris. Same with EVERYONE reading online.

I got a damp sock and shoe on Sunday right at shore on a lake that was "reported" to have 4" of ice. I hadn't even put my gear on yet to go fishing as I wanted to check the area 1st (no point in me over heating and my spot to test was safe). So right at shore I put a foot on the ice and I broke through. Due to the 1/2" or less of snow on it I couldn't tell from the dock I was on how thick it was. So I put a foot on it while holding on to things around me to not fall in. Yup, weak ice where someone posted the lake was safe. I knew in my mind the ice was thin as I could see warning signs telling me so but I still tested that one spot. This was an area posted as 'OK ice' online. I went another 15 min away on the same lake to find 6" to 4" from shore to 50' away from shore. Spud bar, floater suit and boots on then.

Never take what is posted online as "word". If you really want to go ice fishing then you need to gear up and do the drive and testing all on your own. Unless (and this is rare) a knowledgeable friend lives close to your intended fishing location and has tested it in the last 12/24 hours and tells you 1st hand what they found. Me, I like being told what they may have found but I still want to know 1st hand because it's me in danger out there 100% of the time.

Didn't say I KNEW the ice was safe, just thought I'd post what I heard. I haven't been out there and obviously anyone fishing there should test and tread carefully.

When it comes to online info sharing like this; don't report things are 'safe' unless it's from your 1st hand info. How would you feel if your comment of "I know a few guys tested yesterday and found solid ice" had me thinking it was safe for me to walk out from Port Perry and I went through? Just things to think about... Treat it that 99% of people reading what you post is 100% true and the best info they have. Because that's all they could find on the internet...
I do have land if FLA if you want to talk about it sometime let me know to those others reading... ;)

You are just an anxious teen and I get that. But never tell someone it's safe when you haven't been there and tested it, measured it 1st hand. How would you feel if someone was seriously injured or worse because of what you said? Some people even think a 'post count' means something for knowledge... LOL!

You are just an anxious teen and I get that. But never tell someone it's safe when you haven't been there and tested it, measured it 1st hand. How would you feel if someone was seriously injured or worse because of what you said? Some people even think a 'post count' means something for knowledge... LOL!

I admire your caution. And I agree with you. There is far too much reporting on ice conditions by seasoned fishermen, albeit i think with good intention. I have been partway through the ice when there was 12 inches all around me otherwise. Ice is a fluctuating entity, and must be constantly treated with caution and mistrust. If it where me, and I was out ice fishing at this time of year, I would keep mum entirely. As mentioned, there are way to many people who will head out without a thought because someone posted about "safe ice". I have witnessed this first hand on many occasions. It is monkey see monkey do. If they hear people are out there, then show up and see them, there is a fair percentage of the population who will just giver without checking for themselves! I believe this is what a lot of people don't realize when they see fire and police departments advising people stay off the ice. They are catering to the masses, the bulk of whom are not seasoned fishermen, that's all! Myself I used to venture on to first ice regularly, with all nessecary precautions at hand. I don't bother anymore, I wait for a minimum of 6. It' can still be dodgy even then, but I'm in no hurry, the fish will still be there! Anyway, looking forward to getting out on scugog at least a few trips this year. It's a fantastic fishery!

I'll be more specific next time. Here's the link I was referring to http://www.kawarthaanglers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&p=53823#p53823

Anyone going out to any lake make sure you are spudding your way out with a float suit and you have someone watching from shore.

he put you on sensor control…no more writing what you read on forums Chris :P Unless you get a lift to the lake drill a hole and measure the ice yourself.

All kidding aside, wait…we don't need human test dummies going out there getting there toes wet…I laugh when I hear I fell through this week testing the ice…stop telling me it's safe to go out. Christmas is 2 weeks away. Let the cold do it's thing and freeze the lake.

Nobody dies and we all fish on safe ice…is that so hard :wallbash:

If everybody believed that we wrote on this forum was 100% correct and true half the threads be taken down. If I walk out on thin ice because I read on a forum it was safe…I am the dumbarse and there is nobody to blame but me…Head to scugog in a few weeks and see 50 people out there fishing…Then I'll talk out and head for a fish…what we hear and what we think is why we post here on OFC. If Chris hears a group of guys were testing spots then why not post it. I was on fish bay the week before last it was thin ice but it held me up…I might of even mentioned it in a post don't care don't remember. Point is if your the only one heading out be careful and don't rely on any forum, news report etc…I use my brain and common sense, something people don't have.

End of Rant, happy ice fishing :)

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher