Splitting Firewood...NF

crappieperchhunter

I am surprised at all the different replies! When I lived up North all we ever used was an axe to split our wood, (and we split a lot of wood every winter) a good sharp axe with with a broad back so it acted like a wedge. Sharp ment it would drive deep into the block, the broad back forced the wood to split. We did split most of our wood when it was frozen especially the bigger tougher blocks which really does help, I can't remember us ever having to use a wedge.

A lot of it had to do with many of the things mentioned here; watch the grain of the wood, split between knots, make sure the block is turned the right way but the swing was probably the most important. You had to follow through, if all you tried to do was drive the axe into the top of the block, that is about all you did but if you tried to drive it through the block the result was much more positive. The other thing was using the momentum of the axe to do the work, hard to describe in writing but easy to show someone, a good swing started with the axe at your feet and was much like a golf swing (but in reverse) smooth and with that follow through.

Next time you are up this way Steve, stop by and I'll show you what I mean, you'll be amazed at how much easier it is.

I find the "splitting axe's" will drive the thin end into the wood easy, but a lot of time, they will bounce back out. Especially if its good hardwood.

The maul works best IMO, and I split A LOT of wood! I do it at home, and at work. About 6 bush cords at work, and 3-4 at home. I use the splitter at home though.....work is too cheap! LOL

What kind of wood were you splitting Steve? Makes a big difference too. Oak, Ash, and maple are a dream. Anything that's twisted and knotty is much, much harder.

S.

S.

What kind of wood were you splitting Steve? Makes a big difference too. Oak, Ash, and maple are a dream. Anything that's twisted and knotty is much, much harder.

S.

S.

It is good maple Shayne. It had already been cut to stove length...just needed splitting. But the troublesome pieces where a section of the tree where it appears 2 trunks or the trunk and a big branch grew into each other. That combined with some gnarly twisted grain and some 4 inch knots made it a real workout.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

I think I'll get myself a heavier maul....anybody have a recommendation which one to get or even where to get it? When I got my 5LBer it was the heaviest one I could find at the time around here. I just figured that was as heavy as they got.

Check at Princess Auto, 8lb for $36.

Slightly related...

Any idea's for splitting wood into smaller pieces for a smoker? It only takes a few minutes with the axe to split a small log for an 8 hour period of smoke, but I've almost lobbed off a few fingers already and I have a truckload worth of apple wood to split. There has to be an easier way?

Slightly related...

Any idea's for splitting wood into smaller pieces for a smoker? It only takes a few minutes with the axe to split a small log for an 8 hour period of smoke, but I've almost lobbed off a few fingers already and I have a truckload worth of apple wood to split. There has to be an easier way?

If it's very straight grain you can use an industrial fry cutter. seen it done

A few years back, I ran a couple 6" pieces of apple through the jointer, had a garbage bag full in short time. A good size jack plane will do it too. Whats a jack plane..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_plane

I have an old jack plane in the basement and have several apple orchards nearby and can get apple wood for the asking. I don't have a smoker but my cottage neighbor does and is always talking about how$$$ buying wood is. I'll plane him up some when I get some wood. Thx for the idea.

I have an old jack plane in the basement and have several apple orchards nearby and can get apple wood for the asking. I don't have a smoker but my cottage neighbor does and is always talking about how$$$ buying wood is. I'll plane him up some when I get some wood. Thx for the idea.

1 log about 5-6" diameter x 14" long = 1 bag of store bought wood at $6-$7 each

I have an overflowing truckload worth and I plan on selling a bunch if I can figure out how to chip it efficiently...

Just get one of those nice wood chippers, I used one this summer and created a whole trailer full of wood chips in less than an hour.

I was thinking about renting one of these for a day, but I'm kinda worried about oil on the machine or it's blades that could contaminate the wood and the meat I'll be smoking.

Another chunk of pork that's destined to become pulled pork will be done in an hour or so. I guess I might as well start a smoking thread...