Grouse hunting nf. Photos

kickingfrog

It is a Ithica. I bought it used (barely) from Epps this past summer. My dad's 20 gauge featherlight was the first gun I ever shot. That 28 is the only 28 I have ever shot but I am in love with it. I liked the idea of the bottom ejector so that it can be pretty much an ambidextrous gun (my brother is opposite eyed from me). Now that I've shot it though, I'm not sure I could bare with someone else shooting it. :wub:

The Ruffed Grouse in the south are like a different species compared to the road chickens up north, flushed birds on the wing are about the toughest target there is.

This is my first season hunting for southern birds. Before this week's birds I had flushed 6-7 without seeing them at all before they flew and only had a shot at one (I missed). It didn't help that on the days that I had to hunt I had to drop the kids at school/daycare so I wasn't on foot until 10:30-11 and it was hight teens and low twenties for temps. I remember having to shoo birds off the road up north so we could whack em. Colder temps now and things are opening up.

RC, I like the .22 for birds as much as the .410. Text me and arrange a pick up date and I lend you one of my .410s and some shells for a "test drive". If you are seeing a lot of single birds then the .410 is the way to go. If you are finding birds flocking together, then picking them off with the .22 while not spooking the others is awesome.