Grouse hunting nf. Photos

kickingfrog

Last year brother whacked one (with a 20 gauge) while we were at the launch on Lac Seul, another one flushed as he walked up to get his bird and he shot the third one who just stood there. I don't care where they come from, or how you get 'em, they taste good.

Edited by kickingfrog

Glad to see you keep the thighs..some good meat on there. Have you ever tried plucking the whole bird, keeping the next, wings and all that? I'll do that sometimes...but only once did I manage to keep the skin on when plucking, it was barely worth the effort but added a nice component to the flavour.

Glad to see you keep the thighs..some good meat on there. Have you ever tried plucking the whole bird, keeping the next, wings and all that? I'll do that sometimes...but only once did I manage to keep the skin on when plucking, it was barely worth the effort but added a nice component to the flavour.

I find them more thin skinned then some sports fans but if I'm going to roast them I try.

Where's the gizzard? Don't tell me that you threw it out?? :wallbash: I'd toss the breast before the gizzard.

Never tried them. Got a recipe? I cut the crop open to see what they've been eating but that's about it.

Just throw it in the pot with the rest of bird however you are cooking it Rob. To clean the gizzard, simply slice it open on any side. It will be full of pebbles, berries, clover etc. There is a liner on the inside that simply peels away along with all of the contents. Give it a try.