MNR rant

wantabigone

I just wanted to post how dissappointed I am with the way the MNR is being run. I personally had an experience this year on a fly-in lake that on our last day the MNR flew into the lake to check on our possession limits.

Really? That is the most productive way to spend our tax dollars (and licensing fees)? The cost of renting the plane, pilot, fuel and 3 officers. This is all to ensure that we and others on these lakes are not "overfishing" these lakes. Seriously?

If they want to ensure those that do flyins are not keeping more than their limits then park on the logging roads outside of the float plane operators and check the vehicles as they leave or at the float plane location itself. Just an FYI- we were fine with our limits. This is just a ridiculous way to spend our money. These guys just want to enjoy a week in the bush for free doing some fishing of their own and stopping along the way at some lakes to justify what they are doing.

I have seen at least one other post stating that they too had MNR visit them by float plane. This was at a different time of year- what a waste of money.

Then we have a post that a fish ladder was built but it was not built to accomodate larger fish. (I assume chinook) Really? The MNR decides to build a fish ladder but only designs it to fit certain fish? Another example of foolish financial decisions.

I am sure the officers are doing their best and are likely frustrated as well but upper amangement is doing a terrible job.

All in my opinion.

yup, that is the mnr logic , get the lest bang for the buck

at my fly-in they traveled mnr trails then canoed to our camp and hide for two hours till we returned

then they came running out at us yelling, I picked up a machete, as they were in plain clothes and I nthought we were under attack

as they got closer I heard them yelling mnr

if I had a rifle with me I do believe I would have shot them out of fear.....before I could hear mnr was what they were yelling

of course they found nothing wrong and left in the dark and the rain to paddle out ...morons

Edited by Terry

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

for 20 years the libs and cons have been defunding the mnr. this anemic organization has no teeth, and more and more represents the remote tourism industry as opposed to the crown. vote different or expect the status quo.

personally i have no problem with the mnr doing fly in checks. not everyone is responsible like yourself when presented with the opportunity to catch a lot of fish.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Terrys story is hilarious!!! LOL!!! So many violations happening close to home (ie on all the east ditches during salmon season) but these guys would rather spend $$$$ flying into remote camps? I must be missing something here.

Edited by BillM

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

given that so many anglers are fairly honest and law abiding, the mnr has taken it upon themselves to focus on catching anglers in the act of egregious acts like enjoying a beer while fishing. definitely a large waste of money on a fly in lake. lol!

You have to understand that different areas have different priorities. The CO's your dealing with on a flyin trip aren't from southern Ontario they are stationed up there. The biggest threat to fish stocks in the north is over harvest Read about how many time this happens and they find ridiculous amounts of fish that Flyin/Remote access anglers have been caught with. They are not just targeting you. They are on a milk run looking for violations that range from over harvest to shoreline alteration to hunting/netting.Those CO's might only get to that camp once a month and are responsible for a huge area. In southern Ontario the priority is habitat destruction Manpower because of budget cuts is reduced and angler violations are just not as big of a threat in this part of Ontario as making sure the habitat doesn't get destroyed by builders,home owners,contractors. For bang for the buck ,snaggers/illegal fisherman just aren't a big enough threat to the fishery when compared with habitat destruction. Optically it looks bad but fish populations can always rebound if there is habitat to live/reproduce. If there is no habitat THERE IS NO FISH!!!! Which would you rather see ?

They were not concerned about the habitat at all- they were only targetting fisherman on the lake. If they were concerned about the habitat as you mentioned then they would not have motored around the lake in their plane going to each boat and checking if we had any fish in our posession and then checking the fridge and freezer for fish. This lengthy stop had NOTHING at all to do with habitat concern. (by habitat I am referring to shoreline reshaping etc).

Edited by wantabigone

They were not concerned about the habitat at all- they were only targetting fisherman on the lake. If they were concerned about the habitat as you mentioned then they would not have motored around the lake in their plane going to each boat and checking if we had any fish in our posession and then checking the fridge and freezer for fish. This lengthy stop had NOTHING at all to do with habitat concern. (by habitat I am referring to shoreline reshaping etc).

Your reading comprehension could use some work. I clearly stated that angling was their concern and not habitat which is what CO's are busy with down here. They weren't specifically targeting you, loose the persecution complex.

Edited by Musky or Specks

Hey righteous one...

You wrote "They are on a milk run looking for violations that range from over harvest to shoreline alteration to hunting/netting"

Just sayin' :tease:

Just poking fun at you now. Guess I read just fine.

I am not feeling persecuted - as I clearly stated I am of the opinion that using a float plane to monitor remote lake overharvesting is a waste of money. It would be better to station outside of the float plane operators site and monitor the outgoing parties as they load up their vehicles. Much cheaper.

Edited by wantabigone

Not righteous just balanced and seeing things from both sidesYou and everyone else complained about the waste of money and I clearly explained that poaching is a large concern for nrothern CO's..Shoreline alteration is construction(Read lodge docks and cottages) not moving a plane around a lake. They are concerned with nailing poachers which you could have been. When they take the time to land they are going to check for any and all violations they might find because of the expense. They were justified in checking you out I have no problem with the "expense". Our CO's can't seem to win here. Check guys out,if it's you, you complain, don't check guys, you complain. That's my complaint! All anglers need to understand that CO's can't be everywhere at once and so when they stop you they have to check everything because that's how their performance at work is judged. Supervisors see results- X amount of stops made, X omount of charges,X amount of convictions.

I know that poaching is a concern MUSKY OR SPECS. To be clear, I am not complaining about being stopped and checked- I am complaining on the cost of having been stopped and checked. Check my party out when I arrive at the float plane operator. Just as effective and much more cost effective.

I know that poaching is a concern MUSKY OR SPECS. To be clear, I am not complaining about being stopped and checked- I am complaining on the cost of having been stopped and checked. Check my party out when I arrive at the float plane operator. Just as effective and much more cost effective.

You could keep over your limit and out of the slot all week... Checking you while you're on the lake makes the most sense, not when you're flying back with the outfitter.

You have to understand that different areas have different priorities. The CO's your dealing with on a flyin trip aren't from southern Ontario they are stationed up there. The biggest threat to fish stocks in the north is over harvest Read about how many time this happens and they find ridiculous amounts of fish that Flyin/Remote access anglers have been caught with. They are not just targeting you. They are on a milk run looking for violations that range from over harvest to shoreline alteration to hunting/netting.Those CO's might only get to that camp once a month and are responsible for a huge area. In southern Ontario the priority is habitat destruction Manpower because of budget cuts is reduced and angler violations are just not as big of a threat in this part of Ontario as making sure the habitat doesn't get destroyed by builders,home owners,contractors. For bang for the buck ,snaggers/illegal fisherman just aren't a big enough threat to the fishery when compared with habitat destruction. Optically it looks bad but fish populations can always rebound if there is habitat to live/reproduce. If there is no habitat THERE IS NO FISH!!!! Which would you rather see ?

Well put. :good:

Not righteous just balanced and seeing things from both sidesYou and everyone else complained about the waste of money and I clearly explained that poaching is a large concern for nrothern CO's..Shoreline alteration is construction(Read lodge docks and cottages) not moving a plane around a lake. They are concerned with nailing poachers which you could have been. When they take the time to land they are going to check for any and all violations they might find because of the expense. They were justified in checking you out I have no problem with the "expense". Our CO's can't seem to win here. Check guys out,if it's you, you complain, don't check guys, you complain. That's my complaint! All anglers need to understand that CO's can't be everywhere at once and so when they stop you they have to check everything because that's how their performance at work is judged. Supervisors see results- X amount of stops made, X omount of charges,X amount of convictions.

No-one is ever happy, about any kind of enforcement, unless they are the ones requesting it. That same person requesting enforcement for one matter that particularily irks them, will then turn around and scream bloody murder if they get jammed up for something else. This is the nature of man (and woman), and there is a reason you will never see a thread about firemen get locked!

I smile every time I see a yellow and black turbine Beaver... the best asset the Ontario Government ever bought.. for around $40,000 each in the late 70's. They are currently worth about 1.7 million each.

They're gonna burn kerosene somewhere, so it may as well be the north. The airplane(s) is(are) on standby for back lake creel studies, as well as many other uses all season anyhow (including hauling firefighters), so they may as well use it to catch a few that are eating their possession limit at lunch and another in the evening from time to time. Being checked, politely and properly (not ambushed like Terry was), really isn't a big deal is it...when it's all about protecting our resource and you have nothing to hide because you are following the regulations. Now if they're only interested in finding a beer can in your boat... when you are on a back lake.. . then their agenda is seriously flawed.

Edited by irishfield