Quinte - Your go to lures?

Headhunter

Well, that time of year is fast approaching as the leaves drop and eventually, the temperatures will begin to fall. That says Quinte to me!

As we typically get a number of threads here regarding Quinte in the fall, I thought I would put this up ahead of time and have folks put up their "go to" lures or techniques for Quinte.

The Bay has certainly changed a lot, since I first started fishing November/December and sometimes, January in open water. There are probably any number of reasons things have changed, including zebra mussels, gobi and algea to name a few. As a result, anglers have had to change up their approaches to be successful.

So, all that said, what are your "go to" methods for this body of water?

Me, I am old school, still trying to use what was really effective 20 years ago... so that means I have to have my Mann's Stretch 20 or 30's.

Let's see where this goes!

HH

I've only been going for a few years now... But have yet to be skunked....

I've stuck with planer boards and deep taildancers... Reef runners... Manns 20+ and 30+....With a bit of core or a snap weight or flatline.... Perch-purple-clown seem to work well for me....

But this year I might try our shallow water bottom banging trolling up there and see what happens... In the fall we pound in 12-18 feet of water running cranks into the riverbed... I just don't think there's enough current in Quint to position the fish tight to structure like we have on the st lawrence river... Maybe inside the bay where it's skinny there'll be enough current to come close to home... Lol

It'll be interesting if it pays off in numbers like it does here.... But Quinte sized...

Oh baby....

The go to weapons back in the 80's and 90's were Shad Raps for trolling and casting, and a black leech plastic or pig rinds on a floating orange jig and Lindy rig for drifting.

Fall longlining on side planners, downriggers, Dipsy's now seems to be the same basic minnow baits we use on Erie in the summer. Larger Bombers, Rappala, Reef runners, Ripplin Red Fins and all those that Mike mentions above. Also teamed with worm harnesses on the set ups. This year I want to try the Greasy Chicken, Monkey Puke, Orange Crush spoons tipped with worm. If all goes according to plan we should be there the end of the month.

Back in the day if you didn't have a leader of Japanese made Zero mono tied on you went fishless. I believe a very invisible fluorocarbon will do the trick in the crystal clear water of the bay. We are going to hit the local tackle shops before heading out. Whatever they are out of stock of is what we will use, hope we have some. That is something we always do before we get to camp, and hit the ballet. Being 25 years older the ballet tradition may be broken, I don't even know if these bastions of cultural entertainment still exist between Trenton and Nappanee.

Between the 3 of us and many thousands of dollars worth of weaponry I hope we have some.

I've never caught a Walleye there on a spinnerbait or Senko msp. Maybe I should try it, crazy enough to work. I'm assuming we're talking Walleye here, aren't we.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I fished Quinte for many many years Joe, but it was always in May and we always fished after dark. Minnow baits like Rapalas & Bomber Long "A"s in black/white and blue/white always produced and waaaaay back in the day we used Pikie minnows and did well with them too.

Preferred areas to fish was shallow mud flats close to shore.

Don't know if those tactics would work in the fall, but just thought I'd toss it into the ring.

Manns stretch 20 reef runner 800 series as well as rapala dive toos !!!! And the yozuri crystal minnows as well as the power dive minnows and hot lips minnows !!!!! Some bomber long A and some deep diving husky jerks !!! That's all you need !!!!! And mike most of the eyes are suspended chasing schools of bait .... And are roamers !!! The offshore in-line boards are also a nessesity for getting your lures out and away from the boat !!!!! The fish can and do get a little spooky in the clear water plus the increased boat traffic can force the fish deeper plus further down the reach !!!!! Your dive curves for the baits are important as well another great thing is leadcore 3-5colors !!!! Tight-lines.

With regards to the fall walleyes all the deep diving cranks mentioned are walleye producers,

We have had success with smaller cranks as well, the CC Shad and Flicker Shad have given us some nice fish also.

With Manns Stretch +20, the Blueberry Muffin has taken over from DR. Death.

We need something to drop the water temps, it's hovering around 62 degsF, gotta get a lot lower.

In the spring and summer, The Uzick Spinner and worm combo has been welded to our rods and constantly produced fish, especially close to the weed edges and of late - fishing right in the weeds.

Stay Tuned

David aka Superdad

Edited by superdad

Thanks everyone for your input so far...

Just curious if anyone has tried using blades and meat on Quinte this time of year? Has crossed my mind many a time, but, given that most of the time, others are pulling body baits, running blades at the same trolling speed can be problematic.

Thoughts?

HH

~~~~My go to is a product from C.I.L. about 2oz, just have to make sure you throw it far enough away from the boat, and wear ear plugs. always good to have a fast boat in case the MNR are around, and if caught, a good Shyster to get you off

I have heard of the infamous C.I.L. wobbler, but have no actual experience... do they handle boards well? Should I tie them on with floro? I wonder if someone makes a rod dedicated to running these "baits"? Can I be sure that they won't travel deeper than 30ft? I try to make every effort possible, to insure the well being of the fish yah know.

HH