Obtaining Roe...tough to do it properly...

Familyfisherman

So I went fishing with a few friends on Bronte last week. What an eye opener...

Everyone I saw was basically trying to snag the salmon in the mouth...as if this was a completely acceptable practice? Clearly it was what anyone who "caught" fish was doing, because I drifted singled eggs, yarn, Jensen eggs, etc past fish all day without even a sniff except from a small male brown late morning. I walked quite a ways and watched 3 separate people snag fish, land them, on 2 instances cut them and take the roe and then just chuck the fish...which was obviously not an isolated thing as there were dead fish with cut open bellies every 30 feet on the creek.

The place reeked.

So, my question is, how do people actually get roe?

From my brief experience you can't actually catch a fish with loose roe, as they showed absolutely no interest in anything I had with me...I'm also thinking any fish at the mouth earlier on who actually might bite wouldn't have loose roe?

I have to say that was one of the worst "fishing" experiences I've ever had...I won't be back for late season salmon. I realize they die anyway, but flossing fish trying to spawn just has no sport in it in my opinion...

Glad for some feedback.

I am going to be honest here.....

I use roe amoungst many other baits for steelhead, the last salmon I harvested for roe came was a pier fish with a looser skein taken 4 years ago. I ran out this spring. So I am not a very heavy roe user.

I needed to replenish the stock for the next couple years or so...... so I went out this past weekend and spent an hour catching a female salmon, perfectly just to the side of the nose inside the mouth, on a single Jensen egg in cherise. Landed her, bonked her on the head, triple garbage bagged, and into the backpack. I am not very keen on slitting them up on the river bank, best to do that stuff at home.

So a perfectly legal fish but did it actually hit the bait, I highly doubt it. How did the hook get in the mouth? Angler skill? Lol whatever.... I am just glad I don't have to fish that flow again until November when the trout start coming in.

Definitely no sport in that!!

Burt :dunno:

If I need roe I either go to the states and get some from the mutant stockers that don't reproduce or get them trolling out in Lake O while they are staging before the run starts and will still readily smash a SD/fly combo.

Have you thought about buying roe? There are a few web-based companies that offer it at a decent price.

As for loose roe, legally, you must keep the entire fish and not let the carcass spoil. Harvest your eggs at home.

What you witnessed at the river was illegal....but nothing new to salmon fishing. Its too bad you had a terrible experience, the river can be an amazing escape from the every day urban environment, even in the GTA. When it gets cold, head back down. There will be a lot less of what you saw and a lot more silver fish around. ;)

You’re probably a little late now but hit the fish cleaning stations where the charter boats come in. 99.9% of the time you get skein in the cans but it saves you the time and hassle of catching a fish yourself just for eggs.

In my case, this year my neighbour asked me for a fish to try on his new BBQ. Middle of last month I caught a smaller chrome hen off the pier on a crankbait (smallest fish of the night – I didn’t want to carry the bigger ones back to the car). I brought it home, kept the eggs and gave him the meat…Have to thank Young_One for the fillet job he did for me that night :D

As for loose roe, legally, you must keep the entire fish and not let the carcass spoil. Harvest your eggs at home.

No you don't, you can legally strip a fish and release it.. That roe counts as 1 fish towards your limit, unless they've changed the regs recently.

However, you're correct about discarding the rest of the fish if it is in face dead (ie leaving it on the bank)

Edited by BillM

The MNR guy came by on Sat checking licences and I asked him that exact question. He said it was illegal to 'strip' or 'milk' the roe from a fish.

A CO that doesn't even know the regulations he's trying to enforce, lol...

Right from the MNR website.

Fish roe may be legally stripped (taken) from fish that are legally caught provided that the fish itself is not discarded and wasted.

Bonk fish, take home. I'm not even going to get into the whole lining thing, other than to say I've never personally witnessed a chinook HIT a bait in 2 feet of water. FYI, scraped skein is one of the finest baits available!

biggest chinook i've ever caught was in frog water, water so slow the float barely moves, next thing i know is the float drops straight down and hook in the corner of the mouth

biggest chinook i've ever caught was in frog water, water so slow the float barely moves, next thing i know is the float drops straight down and hook in the corner of the mouth

I'm sorry, perhaps your misunderstanding me, I am referring to people fishing 1-2 feet of fast water overtop of spawning chinook.

Estuary fishing for chinooks is a riot. In 2ft of water, not so much.

Is that a deal?I'd take you up on that.I know your kidding,but what is a guy to do,when he doesn't have any?

Dave check out fish heads. Buy your roe and tie yer own.

Terry,,yer cheque bounced. Can I have my roe back please. LOL

I,ll need it for my 4 day fish this weekend. HAHAHAHA

Edited by Misfish