Salmonella Poisoning

Bassassins

very enthusiastic report...i can relate with the adrenaline rush given the size and energy of the kings even at my age (it never gets old) ....its the best way to test out your equipment and a whole lot of fun to boot (pun intended)...we do an annual pilgrimage down to Lake O for floating upstream during the day and chucking hardware till all hours of the morning creating sleep deprivation and mishaps galore that become bonds shared with the pals...Our recent 4 day trip consisted of 12 hours sleep in total gallons of energy drinks and coffee and probably enough beef jerky to support a special delivery to our main supplier while we were in the area...good on ya guys !

I was not aiming any slight towards the original poster. Looks like you had a great time! I once fished the salmon run enthusiastically. After a while, most steelheaders tire of river salmon fishing. I meant no offense.

I don't know Bill and he is likely a great guy - I just thought his post was smug and all-knowing. Like I said he is likely a good man.

I rarely river fish anymore after being a diehard for 20 years. I got sick of the competitiveness, bravado and territorial pissing. I enjoy being out in a boat far more these days. Have not really steelheaders much for the last 8 years or so.

I was not aiming any slight towards the original poster. Looks like you had a great time! I once fished the salmon run enthusiastically. After a while, most steelheaders tire of river salmon fishing. I meant no offense.

I don't know Bill and he is likely a great guy - I just thought his post was smug and all-knowing. Like I said he is likely a good man.

I rarely river fish anymore after being a diehard for 20 years. I got sick of the competitiveness, bravado and territorial pissing. I enjoy being out in a boat far more these days. Have not really steelheaders much for the last 8 years or so.

You need to not let the opinions of some random guy on a internet fishing forum bug you so much. Really man, OP had a good time, I'm sure he doesn't give a rats ass at what I think about it, lol. Hopefully he gets out on Lake O in July and experiences these fish at their prime, once he does he'll figure out why a lot of us don't bother with them once they are zombies and roaming the rivers.

Dirty boots in 2ft of water.. Did they even have a chance?

Now now Bill. Be nice

Why is fishing for salmon any different than fishing for steelhead ?

I mean come on, how hard is it to catch a fish that returns to the same river every year ?

Not much of a challenge in my opinion.

Good times anyway

Well done to the O.P. Nice report and pictures !

Now now Bill. Be nice

Why is fishing for salmon any different than fishing for steelhead ?

I mean come on, how hard is it to catch a fish that returns to the same river every year ?

Not much of a challenge in my opinion.

Good times anyway

Well done to the O.P. Nice report and pictures !

Mike are you saying you've given up on steelies? Say it ain't so... :tease:

2 feet or 20 feet....clean boots or dirty boots, I could care less !!!.Absolutely Phenomenal Photos and report right here right now :worthy::worthy::canadian:

I COULD care less or I COULDN"T care less. Which will it be? It makes a hell of a difference y'know.

awesome job guys, glad you got to experience these river giants. a big change from the bass you normally get into. should try to get on on the fly rod.....its a blast..

for a lot of people, this time of year is the only chance they will have at fighting these great fish, they may not be in their prime, but they still give a good fight, these are the largest sport fish in our waters (excluding sturgeon) let them have their fun. like our parents always said, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

awesome job guys, glad you got to experience these river giants. a big change from the bass you normally get into. should try to get on on the fly rod.....its a blast..

for a lot of people, this time of year is the only chance they will have at fighting these great fish, they may not be in their prime, but they still give a good fight, these are the largest sport fish in our waters (excluding sturgeon) let them have their fun. like our parents always said, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Thanks - FloatnFly

• 2 weeks later...

Put a Zip-lock baggie under that fish in the 4th pic! LOL

Nice to see you had a great time :)

you do realise its illegal to fish there right, from the highway to the cn tracks is closed all year cuz its a fish sanctuary

Not sure what river you are thinking of, but for the river as seen in this report, the sanctuary is from HWY 401 down to the south side of Jocelyn St.

Edited by MJL

last time i checked it was to the cn bridge but whatever, is it still open or is just south of the cn bridge now, i do know that river very well i always fish the mouth

Year round sanctuary = HWY 401 to Jocelyn st (It's been like that forever)

Year round open fishing = South side of CN bridge down to the mouth

Extended season fishing (4th Saturday in April to Dec 31) = South side of CPR bridge down to the mouth

General season (4th Saturday in April to Sept 30) - Applies to the river upstream of the CPR bridge

As outlined here:

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@letsfish/documents/document/mnr_e001336.pdf

Year round sanctuary = HWY 401 to Jocelyn st (It's been like that forever)

Year round open fishing = South side of CN bridge down to the mouth

Extended season fishing (4th Saturday in April to Dec 31) = South side of CPR bridge down to the mouth

General season (4th Saturday in April to Sept 30) - Applies to the river upstream of the CPR bridge

As outlined here:

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@letsfish/documents/document/mnr_e001336.pdf

thanks for clearing that up for me