Hockey thread 2013 2014 season

muskymatt

but today's nhl is slowed down substantially.

tv time outs are longer than ever.

refs are allowing longer periods of time between dropping the puck.

heck, we are seeing goalies going to their benches between puck drops.

with modern training technologies, and the time that the nhl allows to keep their game "fast", i think its possible to play 25 minutes a game...especially as a defenceman.

The top pairing plays so much more because the bottom pairing is not good enough. Coaches coach to win. If they thought playing number 5-6 D-men more would help them they would.

Top Defencemen play more minutes per game then forwards not because they are better conditioned but because the position does not require the same level of stop and go or puck chasing.

Is Dion Phaneuf worth the contract thats rumored? 7 Million per year for seven years and a no trade no movement clause. I really dont see him worth the dollars they are throwing at him. He isnt going to the Olypics so hes not in the top 6 or 8 Canadian defensemen. In my opinion he dosent do enough to make me feel like he is going to get better. Of the last six or seven Leaf captains id rate him last. He dosent get people out of their seats with his rushes his hits are few and far between. His defense partner Gunnarson in my opinion carries the load in the Leaf end. He plays the majority of the power play and only has 14 points. He dosent do it for me as a captain or as a number one defenceman. Whats Subban, Karlsson gonna get when their contracts expires? I dunno just seems like a lot of cash and way too many years in this deal for his talent in my opinion. I know if they are gonna pay him that kinda coin he isnt gonna say no but what do they see in him that I dont lol .

I positively guarantee you without a doubt that if Dion signs for 7 years 7 million (witch is a done deal except for the NTC according to last-nights HBO 24/7) No other 20 to 30 minute players , epically D-men will sign for less..As for trading Dion its a contract year and he currently has a NTC he cant be traded guys..Our 2 choices are simple.. Let him walk or sign him. Right now Nunas doesn't want to offer Dion another NTC and if he has to, he will want a list of teams Dion is willing to be sent to, Dion wants one for protection. So he may just walk yet.

As for tonight's game I say its another leafs win..4-3 Dion nets the game winner just to spite all the nay sayers.

Well he did get the final goal of the game!! haha

Yes it was a nice game for a change..Bozak with a 3 pointer,I wish Kulie would shoot more, wow what a shot and Ranger, even though I havent liked him he has been a stud the last 2 games..Sure hope he can keep it up..I also thought Dion had a good game too..Real solid. 2 in a row.. Wonder if Reims gets the net at the outdoor classic. Bernie has had 3 in a row now..

GO LEAFS GO!!!!

I think in the last few years the quality of the teams has improved greatly...not enough to just show up and win a medal.

As recent drafts would suggest 50% of top prospects and drafted players are non Canadian!!!

For the most part the games are competitive and it makes for a great tournament!!!