Hockey thread 2013 2014 season

muskymatt

Shop their #1 D man? lol! If anyone is going to be up on the block it will be someone like Gardiner, Liles, etc.. It won't be Dion or Kadri.

He's their "#1 D man", he plays about 6 mins more a game then he should, he becomes a liability. On any other team Phaneuf would not be a leaned on nearly as much, and I'm sure there are many teams that would be interested in him for depth, not a #1 D man. More importantly, his contract is running out and if the leafs resign him its going to be for a ridiculous amount of money, wouldn't be worth it, cripples your rookies.

And you make it sound by shopping Phaneuf and Kadri you get nothing in return. I'm sure it would be surprising to see who teams would be willing to part with.

Trading Gardiner and Liles is never going to be enough to obtain a player of significant ability to help the leafs out. Go big or go home.

Edited by JBailey

And you make it sound by shopping Phaneuf and Kadri you get nothing in return. I'm sure it would be surprising to see who teams would be willing to part with.

Trading Gardiner and Liles is never going to be enough to obtain a player of significant ability to help the leafs out. Go big or go home.

Kadri we have to keep I'm sorry,he will only get better.Dion?,whatever .

as much as everyone rags on phaneuf he is a solid player, he does make mistakes but if you put him side by side any of the other defenseman in the league that are able to play with the calibre dion does, he doesn't look so bad.

here's a stat that puts him up against other top d men across the league

OTT Even Strength Goals Against 64

Karlsson Even Strength Goals Against 33

CHI Even Strength Goals Against 56

Keith Even Strength Goals Against 22

MTL Even Strength Goals Against 44

Subban Even Strength Goals Against 20

STL Even Strength Goals Against 42

Pietrangelo Even Strength Goals Against 17

MIN Even Strength Goals Against 39

Suter Even Strength Goals Against 16

TOR Even Strength Goals Against 48

Phaneuf Even Strength Goals Against 9

Also on the year, Phaneuf is a +12.

Edited by leaf4

He's their "#1 D man", he plays about 6 mins more a game then he should, he becomes a liability. On any other team Phaneuf would not be a leaned on nearly as much, and I'm sure there are many teams that would be interested in him for depth, not a #1 D man. More importantly, his contract is running out and if the leafs resign him its going to be for a ridiculous amount of money, wouldn't be worth it, cripples your rookies.

There's no one else in the Leafs D that puts that kind of time in per game and plays with the best players in the league. It really doesn't matter if you like him or not, there's no way you could trade him for someone who does an as good or better job on the blue line. No way. And with the cap raising next year it's more like a 5mil a year hit compared to a 7mil hit if the cap was to remain the same.

Davey, I agree with you on Clarkson.. From what I've seen he's not worth what the Leafs have paid him, let along that stupidly long contract they signed him to... I dunno what they were thinking when they offered him that.

Edited by BillM

you obviously can't trade up with him but you need to look into the future, realistically there are no moves the leafs can make to make themselves contenders this year, and you move around assests to make that worth it. You don't trade people because they're worthless because you get nothing in return. Unless you want to hold on to someone and left them sell you out like Sundin, or Alfredsson have done.

you obviously can't trade up with him but you need to look into the future, realistically there are no moves the leafs can make to make themselves contenders this year, and you move around assests to make that worth it. You don't trade people because they're worthless because you get nothing in return. Unless you want to hold on to someone and left them sell you out like Sundin, or Alfredsson have done.

You think Sundin sold out the Leafs? LOL!!! Trading Dion would be a bonehead move, trust me he's going nowhere. I just hope they don't get rid of some of their younger talent.

Making trades these days is tough everybody seems to over value their assets, probably because there is a lack of imho real talent. Just look at some of the mediocre/average players that are being signed to ridiculous contracts, Clarkson,Horton,Cloye, Deharnais, Gionta 5 million...hasn't had a 50 point season since 2008!!!

The last couple of full seasons there has been barely 10 players that can average a point a game...and guys hitting 40-50 points a season are getting long term deals 5-6 million a season.

And the sad thing is in a year or two some of these contracts are going to look like a bargain when the cap goes up, I heard a story the other day that PK is considering a shorter term deal his logic is sign now for 2-3 years 7/8 million and cash in when the cap goes crazy....talking 10-12 million a year!!!

I don`t know perhaps the league is so competitive now and the players so even in skill that 50 points is the new star player a 80-90 points is the new super star.

Not my money.

Making trades these days is tough everybody seems to over value their assets, probably because there is a lack of imho real talent. Just look at some of the mediocre/average players that are being signed to ridiculous contracts, Clarkson,Horton,Cloye, Deharnais, Gionta 5 million...hasn't had a 50 point season since 2008!!!

The last couple of full seasons there has been barely 10 players that can average a point a game...and guys hitting 40-50 points a season are getting long term deals 5-6 million a season.

And the sad thing is in a year or two some of these contracts are going to look like a bargain when the cap goes up, I heard a story the other day that PK is considering a shorter term deal his logic is sign now for 2-3 years 7/8 million and cash in when the cap goes crazy....talking 10-12 million a year!!!

I don`t know perhaps the league is so competitive now and the players so even in skill that 50 points is the new star player a 80-90 points is the new super star.

Not my money.

I couldn't have said it any better..Stop the insanity.. Now if we could only find a way to hold officials accountable for missed and blown calls.I was talking to a hard core caps fan. he was saying the same thing.. so its not just a leaf thing.

Yep, it was the same with Alfie.

The Sens were screwing him over so he bailed.

Now Iggy being traded by the Flames sucked and Calgary should be ashamed. nono-1.gif

Neither side negotiated in good faith, and neither side did all they could. If you listen to Alfie, it sounds to me like he had made his mind up even before Bryan Murray called him. And when Murray did call, Alfie didn't answer. Sure I think they should have just given him whatever he wanted. But when he doesn't answer,how can you conduct a negotiation? I think the Sens are a better team with the acquisitions they picked up after Alfie bailed on the team, they just need to get it together.

So, in short, the Sens did not do any such thing as screwing over Alfie, I think it is the other way around. At least the team wasn't on the hook for a $4 mil payout like they were with that piece of garbage Heatly. Good riddance Alfie!

actually, my old man just pointed out, because players don't get paid during suspension, it would be best for clarkson to get suspended for the rest of the season.

we wouldn't have to pay him and we could replace him for someone from the marlies, making for a win win situation.

actually, my old man just pointed out, because players don't get paid during suspension, it would be best for clarkson to get suspended for the rest of the season.

we wouldn't have to pay him and we could replace him for someone from the marlies, making for a win win situation.

I could be wrong but I think he forfeits his salary to the players foundation. the laffs still have to pay but Clarkson doesn't get the money