First visit to my fish hatchery job

danc

Today we had our "start up meeting" at the fish hatchery in Dorion Ont. Much of it was in an office environment going over legal stuff. Making sure that all the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed. When that was finished, we went for a tour of the actual job site. I wasn't sure just by looking at the drawings for the job, but it is in fact right over all of the fibreglass fish tanks. Bingo!! A couple things surprised me. First of all, it was quite dark in the tank room. I was instructed that any lighting that I need would have to be placed on the floor below the tanks and aimed at the ceiling. I'm not sure if they try to simulate actual outdoor lighting, but it was quite dark for the time of day that I was there. Second thing was cleanliness and sanitizing. We had to wash our hands with disinfectant and also had to step on a spongy pad with our boots to disinfect our feet. Makes sense I suppose. It wasn't long through our tour that I explained to the manager, who came here from Peterborough when the plant opened in 08, that I was pretty much obsessed with Brook Trout. I showed him a few photos on my phone and then he pretty much took me under his wing and started showing me parts of the hatchery that had nothing to do with my job there. He showed me the egg disinfecting room, which will be used in the next month or so. He showed me they're oxygen producing facility and explained it in detail. He told me that he had a fin clipping crew coming in next week. I think that we're going to get along just fine. Becaused it was dark in the tank room, I couldn't tell what I was looking at, except for the brood stock Laker tanks. They were pretty big. 15 to 20 lbs. I'd guess. He explained how they had 6 different strains on Lake Trout on site. "Seneca" is the only one I remember right now. Anyways, as I head into the twilight of my career, this might become my favorite job ever in 36 years that I've been in my trade. I'm sure that I'll get some decent pictures as the job progresses. It's about a 3 month job. And Brook Trout egg stripping is right around the corner. Can't wait!!

Sounds like an awesome job Dan :worthy: I was there in 1980...so I'm not sure what opened in 2008 because the hatchery was there looonnnng before that. Will you be onsite in the "dorm rooms" in the big house we stayed in? When I was there it was with the Ontario Junior Ranger program and the sanitation was not quite the same. 8 or 10 of us pretty much wandered around whereever we wanted except in the building the fry fish where in. A few lucky guys...not myself..even got to walk around the big cement outdoor tanks with galvanized pails of fish pellets and feed the lakers. Now that was a feeding frenzy I will never forget!!!

You have brought back some great memories for me. I hope you can smuggle some pictures out. I'd love to see just how much it has changed since I was there.

Sounds like an awesome job Dan :worthy: I was there in 1980...so I'm not sure what opened in 2008 because the hatchery was there looonnnng before that. Will you be onsite in the "dorm rooms" in the big house we stayed in? When I was there it was with the Ontario Junior Ranger program and the sanitation was not quite the same. 8 or 10 of us pretty much wandered around whereever we wanted except in the building the fry fish where in. A few lucky guys...not myself..even got to walk around the big cement outdoor tanks with galvanized pails of fish pellets and feed the lakers. Now that was a feeding frenzy I will never forget!!!

You have brought back some great memories for me. I hope you can smuggle some pictures out. I'd love to see just how much it has changed since I was there.

Times have changed CPH. The old hatchery is still intact and in fact still houses the brood stock Brookies. The facility that I'll be working at is brand new and right around the corner. Come hell or high water I will be making my way over to the old facility to see what goes on in the brood stock Brook Trout holding grounds. Being so close to egg stripping time, I'm gonna do my best to be over there to catch some of that.

I am Roy. That is exactly what I'll be doing there. Curious. How do you know about this?

When I was in business many moons ago I would routinely read demands for tenders...I've kept that as a pastime and so when I read of the Dorion work a year or two ago, I thought it was interesting and sure enough.....here you are. Good stuff! I'm sure you'll have a great time and maybe even another learning experience there. Happy for you Bud. :)

When I was in business many moons ago I would routinely read demands for tenders...I've kept that as a pastime and so when I read of the Dorion work a year or two ago, I thought it was interesting and sure enough.....here you are. Good stuff! I'm sure you'll have a great time and maybe even another learning experience there. Happy for you Bud. :)

Well you are a man well connected with things Roy. I'm impressed.

HAHAHA! Pop over here with Leah...I'll make you some KD. :)

Dan, looking forward to a few pics from you. I have a pic or two of the Dorion hatchery taken in 2012 and yes, the lighting there is almost unnatural, space like almost. I'll find and send.