chatterbaits....anyone use them?

bigcreekdad

Not too hard, just cast and retrieve. The quicker you go the shallower they run. Try running them on top of submerged weedbeds just ticking the top of the weeds, or alongside weed edges. They do work well but you have to put lots of casts in just like a spinner bait. Also try and mix up the trailer plastic you use. Sometimes that can make all the difference in the world.

I use them quite often, cast and retrieve, around stumps,docks,pads all with good success. It's all about confidence and it usually takes a couple of solid fish on a lure or technique to gain that confidence.

Give it a shot you'll be surprised...............

I used them pretty much exclusively in place of spinner baits for bass. I've had great luck with them on the way into the shallow spots I usually fish.

I used them with a trailer - they are a must. Usually a Swammer or a Zoom Horny Toad (oopps did I say that out loud). Horny toads are a great trailer, just cut the body down to fit the hook better.

I've had better luck with light colours than dark.

Yes - I see them a lot in clearance bins myself. They have fallen out of favour, but are still really effective and a regular part of my bass arsenal.

i have used them in salt water and had a tonne of sucess with them i first bought them in louisiana and the red fish love them. then used them for pargo and snapper in cuba. i have caught a walleye on one in sturgeon lake, the ones i have is like a rapala shape with the same lip as the plastic bait ones. the flash in the water is a great attractant. baarcuda cant resist them but again anything flashy and fast is a barracuda meal.

I never had much luck with them in lighter colors (white, chart), but have caught some great fish on them now that I am using craw patterns. My favorite is a 3/4 oz football jig that I converted to a chatterbait: dark green/brown with a craw trailer. I fish it like a crankbait, bouncing it off logs and rocks.

I used to prefer them over spinnerbaits. They do a nice wobble and you know there is a hit or snag when the wobble is interrupted.

Spinnerbaits are the same way... if the blades get screwed up because of weeds, easy to feel (especially with braid)