A Long Overdue OFC Intro

spincast

Got a PM the other night inviting me out with Pikeslayer. We had been planning on exchanging trips in each others boats, but that got a little interrupted, as many of you know, so I was very happy to see the invite - and all over it like a dirty shirt. Meet at his fishing grounds, Sunday morning, and bring along the kid who outfishes me all the time B) - sometimes I really think they want to learn G's secrets and I'm just the third wheel.

We met up at the duly appointed hour at the duly appointed launch. In no time at all we were out in to the Lake X dawn.

DSCF1117_zps56652bf7.jpg

At the Capt's request, I have blued out the background

DSCF1122_zpsf424fb9e.jpg

DSCF1124_zps1a421538.jpg

It was a slow start to the day, but that gave us a good chance to chat and get to know each other - and very pleasurable it was.

Simon is a relaxed and gracious host who puts you at ease in no time at all

DSCF1136_zps84641f00.jpg

In fact, he made G o comfortable he dozed off. Gotta talk to that about his manners.... :whistling:.

The goal for today (beside getting to meet each other) was for Simon to get some 'bows for the fine staff that are looking after his son, as Simon has discovered what I understand is a mouth watering spice for blackened fish (one that I will soon, hopefully be trying).

It took us a while to find them, but when we did they came in a flurry. - It appears that G knows a good thing when he catches it

DSCF1145_zps56d735b1.jpg?t=1376171306

Simon's brother Vince was along for the ride too - a relative newbie on the big lake. He had an amazing fight with a beast on the lead core, bringing it to with in 50 foot of the boat until it some how got he hook off the split ring and spat the plug back it us. this fish was an absolute heart breaker to loose, and Simon in his considerate fashion repeatedly made sure Vince knew that :rolleyes:

I asked Simon for the crazy hair pose from last years outing, but he must have known I would force his hand

DSCF1150_zps6703e795.jpg

Simon - thanks for a great day - it was a pleasure and I am sure the staff will just love those fresh Lake O bows - next time - my boat my waters, you're the guest.

Oh - I almost forgot:

DSCF1129_zps11d008b4.jpg

THANKS FOR PUTTING ME ONTO MY FIRST TYEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :good::worthy::clapping:

DSCF1132_zps5d25fd51.jpg

30.1 LBS AND 40 INCHES :D:D :D :D:D

DSCF1130_zpse2dd0f73.jpg

Thanks all - that's two new members I have met this year on outings, and they have both been great get togethers. Gotta love the community aspect of this place.

And to think a lot of us drive north two plus hours each weekend to fish,when there is a fishery like that in our own back yard.Wow,looks like fun!!!!!!

indeed - but once you taste it, its hard to go back to what you fished before, and its just as expensive a habit as the gas you spend on that drive. Any time I have an open seat I post so, if you wanna try sometime.....

Derby ticket?

Sweet fish regardless!

Cheers,

Mark

No sir, I fish to relax. With my competitive nature if I had a ticket, it would become work. Listening to what the fish are telling me and figuring it out, then enjoying the high of getting it in the boat despite the fishes smart and my limitations is way more fun than worrying if my life time PB at 30.1 lbs will be beat by someone with a 32 lber.

Is that normal? that thing is massive.

Looks like a nice day for a meet n greet.

yes sir, normal for the lake. Quite a few caught each year by various anglers. My turn only took 3.5 years and a great combination of circumstances. Your ticket is still valid.

What a great reprort and great day out there for you guys :clapping:

Thanks Joey

He'd need another 10lbs and a derby ticket for the lead but that's a dynamite fish all the same!

Nicely done boys!

Brian - I'm ready for the Ontario / St Clair trade off if you are. PM me anytime

excuse me ....but ahhhhh ....where where you last year when we needed you for the salmon entry ....Congrates on the tyee....bout time you out fished the kid..

Tried dude, I reallllly tried, but the Gman out whispered me last year. This year he was sleeping and they talked to me first :)

What an awesome day!!! The meet & greet was great and now have 2 more OFC fishing partners added to a list of many :). Weather & winds were perfect and inactive fishing periods were whiled away with trading stories and making new friends. Rick I gotta say despite the 'dozing off', you are bringing up a fine young fishing amabassador in 'G' and he is a fine reflection of yourself (besides, 'FISH ON!! Seemed to take care of the 'napping).

A couple of added notes......

Rick's horizontal hold of the Tyee is not extended (he had the fish slime on his shirt to prove it LOL) & @ 6 ft 'ish 190 lbs (am I close ??) and shows a true trophy photo. Congrats. It's only the 2nd Tyee landed on my boat and I am still waiting to call one my own but the thrill of putting a guest on one is good enough for me :).

Heart Break!! I've seen a lot of Kings inside of 50 ft and I'm almost certain that my brother's missed fish (pulled the treble off the split ring :( ) was potentially the third Tyee landed aboard my boat. Definitely fueled his newborn addiction though and almost every fish he does land is a new PB.

Quote of the day;

G boats a nice 12 lb bow and I ask him if he needs a hand holding up the fish for a photo.....

Me: "G, you need a hand???"

G: "Sure, can you hold the net??" OMG, 2 funny..

FYI;

Fire Tiger combo (dipsey, spin doctor & blue gree atomic fly) is always deployed 150-180 ft on #3 setting off one of my wire rods. Caught Rick his PB Tyee as well as a 32.5 pounder and 75% of our 20+ fish over the last 3 seasons.

"Great Ontario Salmon Derby" Tickets;

Stopped buying multiple tickets (for family & crew) last season. 2 'official DQ's' against qualifiers last year & so far this season :( Makes me wonder how many cheats are not getting caught??? As Rick mentioned, fishing for fun is way more rewarding.

Hopefully, I have a few more trips in the coming weeks and if I have an open seat(s), I'll be sure to post as much in advance as possible. Would be great to add another member or 2 to the Tyee Club :)

Rick & G,

I can't wait to fish your home harbor next year :)

Tightlines All,

Simon

Edited by pikeslayer

Pikeslayer,

Looks like you can slay more than pike sir. My very first Lake Ontario fish was a 30 lb plus Tyee. I swore I was reeling in a refrigerator with a 200 HP Merc attached to it in full reverse, then full forward.

Love the Sylvan, looks very similar to my Starcraft, even has the Motorguide hood ornament.

Nothing like putting a smile on a kids face.

Now I don't know you sir but I must comment, the white socks with the open toe saddles, is that a fashion statement or an accident because it was dark when you dressed? I'll assume the later.

Spincast,

Great looking kid, great fish and very nice pics. My only experience meeting a fellow OFC member was this past spring and I threw him overboard, or did he fall out of the boat? Can't recall, what was it HTHM a fall or a push?

I see you weren't wet so the meeting went well.

Johnny D

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Fantastic outing...thanks for sharing. I have no idea what a TYEE is though....lol

Simon,

In case your 'kidding'.....

"Tyee" is another name given to the Spring or Chinook salmon, the largest of all the salmon species. The name "Tyee" comes from an Indian word that means "great" or "chief." The term Tyee is usually used to refer to Spring or Chinook salmon that weigh 30lbs or more. Campbell River, in British Columbia, is known as the salmon and Tyee capital of the world. It was here that the famous Tyee Club was born.

Cheers,

Simon

Pikeslayer,

Looks like you can slay more than pike sir. My very first Lake Ontario fish was a 30 lb plus Tyee. I swore I was reeling in a refrigerator with a 200 HP Merc attached to it in full reverse, then full forward.

Love the Sylvan, looks very similar to my Starcraft, even has the Motorguide hood ornament.

Nothing like putting a smile on a kids face.

Now I don't know you sir but I must comment, the white socks with the open toe saddles, is that a fashion statement or an accident because it was dark when you dressed? I'll assume the later.

Spincast,

Great looking kid, great fish and very nice pics. My only experience meeting a fellow OFC member was this past spring and I threw him overboard, or did he fall out of the boat? Can't recall, what was it HTHM a fall or a push?

I see you weren't wet so the meeting went well.

Johnny D

Johnny D,

Yep, I love my Sylvan. She's a '91 (so' the Merc) and has been very good to us since purchasing in '06. Great boat for Lady O and easy trailering to the cottage lake.

About the socks LOL. given the right conditions (no/low winds, sunny & hot) can bring out swarms of nasty little ankle biting flies. They are so annoying (and only target ankles for some insane reason) that I actually have extra pairs stored on board for guests. We were fortunate that day and didn't need them, but the powder blue trim on my socks complimented my blue eyes so I left them on :)

Albert is too big to push overboard but seems he has some history in getting himself & others wet LOL.

Tight lines,

Simon