Boat stereo question, NF

chris.brock

We bought a new to us pontoon awhile ago, it has an older AM/FM radio with a tape deck

before, when I would turn the radio on, it would play for a few seconds, then stop, power still on but no sound,

now when I turn the radio on, there's nothing, the speakers bulge abit, and make a quiet pop sound when I turn the radio back off

any ideas on how to trouble shoot this?

I don't want to spend much money on this either

thanks

Pick up a new one. It does not necessarily need to be a marine unit. If it has a cover you can use an automotive stereo. You will probably need to buy new speakers. Those should be marine because of all the moisture they are subjected to. Stereos do not last for a very long time in boats because of the moisture.

Don't know how much you want to spend, I picked this one up at radioworld last year, reasonably priced, excellent reception and sound. http://radioworld.ca/jhd910-heavy-duty-p-8979.html

West Marine also carries this one, quite reasonablehttp://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=998798&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50157&subdeptNum=50197&classNum=50202#.UdX_bayYFDA,

Edited by Fisherman

I use my Sirius radio and boom box in my boat. A simple 12 volt plug in and a $20.00 inverter powers it forever. Sounds pretty good and lots and lots of music choices. I've listened to a few NASCAR races in the boat too. I'm very happy with it.

Stereo might still be OK. Do u have another pair of speakers (use house speakers if necessary) to use as a test. Even if u borrow a pair, then u will know if it's the speakers or the stereo. If the 2nd set of speakers don't cooperate then u know the stereo is pooched! good luck!

Easy way to test your speakers. First you need an ohm reader(crappie tire multimeter will do). Unplug your speakers and place your ohm reader probes one on the negative and other on positive should read 3-8 ohms depending on the speaker. Your radio should have 2 12v wires and one ground(negative). Simply test these connections if all is good you will probably need a new radio. Lots of cheap ones out there or go with the portable radio option. Remember you get what you pay for ( at least in most cases)