New boat? need advice

mattp33

Hey guys

I haven't been on here in a LONG time, gee haven't fished in a long time! Anyways, I am looking at upgrading my boat. I found a 2004 Stratos 17.5ft figgin LOADED with elecs. HDS 10 at console, with structure scan, Elite 7 hdi in front, Hydra wave, power pole. Its like my dream package!

Does anyone have any experience with stratos boats?

My concern with the boat is that this is a tournament fishermans boat. Did he beat it like a red haired step child? 1 of the cleats have some cracking around it? Is it more than just gel coat cracking? I don't know! It has a few scratches here and there.

Please someone talk me out of spending $16000!!!

1 Thing I really liked about the stratos is the live well, it is divided but the divider some out to make it a much larger live well. I looked at a Triton and Nitro and the could not remove the divider. Is this rare for bass boats to be able to remove this?

Okay, well I sent you a PM as well but I think all the toys on this boat make it look like a good deal, but I think you are right to wonder how much use it has had, and by extension, has left. I've been searching for a few minutes and I've located several boats in Ontario much newer, some a full class up size wise for less. You can always add on the toys you want over the next few years.

As for searching the USA for boats: Boattrader.com is a pretty good site. You can enter a zip code and search the number of miles from that location.

Just typing the model and year of the boat you want into Google can return boats for sale too. Some of those might just be listed on a Marina's website and hard to track down otherwise.

Good Luck with your research.

Walleye72

Hey guys

Please someone talk me out of spending $16000!!!

Okay, do you have $16,000 to spend with no regards to the final outcome and happiness,(like a rich person) if so, go for it. If you don't have that kind of money to loose, or not liquid cash, I suggest you do your homework with what was said earlier from others above. The first shiniest thing you see may not be the brightest after a week or two. Jumping in with both feet not knowing how deep the hole is or can become, can drown you.

Drop a PM to Joey or Tybo. They purchased their Lund from some place in Michigan I believe. They even drove it to the US/Canada border for them. I'm sure others have done this as well.

Anyone know any good sites to check out boats in the USA?

Edited by Rich Clemens

I have purchased all my boats and vehicles states side and as long as you have all your paperwork in order it is a breeze. Make sure boat is free and clear as far as the bank is concerned,get individual receipts for boat ,motor ,trailer and all electronics. If you buy from a listed ad take a copy with you and above all else be honest about the price at the border.

As far as price is concerned my last boat purchased was a 22 foot ranger commanche with a 250 yamaha on the back that had 68 hours on it. I paid 19 K for it. I did pay extra for having it shipped to me but you cannot touch that boat for less than $30 K in Canada.

Forgot to mention. Find out the hours on the motor AND the electronics. Saying its a tourney boat does not mean its been beat on and abused. He could of fished one tournament a year out of it . I am not sure how big you are but I found my stratos seats a bit tight behind the wheel. For reference I am 6' 4" , 255 lbs. and dont carry much fat. Something you should consider when buying as nothing will ruin a trip quicker than hitting your knees all day on the dash. Where do you plan on fishing ? Its a small boat so you will need to consider that as well.I would do some serious looking and also consider holding off until the fall. hard to do I know but you will get a much better deal then.

Edited by Chance

04 Stratos

285 ProXL

04 175 Yamaha

HPDI

Listed 2/1/13P 25 SS prop, 6" jackplate, MinnKota Fortrex 80#, Humminbird 998 combo, Hamby's, trailer has brakes. One owner bought off the showroom floor in 2005. Shop kept and has approx 150 hours 16,700

A very quick search yielded this example