Looking for a trailer/park -NF

boombap

So the time has come for the family and I to get ourselves a summertime getaway. We thought about a cottage, but a second mortgage is a bit to risky for us at the moment, so a trailer will do just fine.

I have only really looked around online, and it can be quite difficult being there are so many people selling.

What do I need to look for when purchasing a used trailer? What about parks? I spent a weekend at dalrymple lake not to long ago and I loved it, really nice place. To my understanding lazy acres is the only trailer park on that lake.. Correct? I would like something on or close to the water with boat docking available. Can anyone recommend some trailer parks? The kawarthas would be my preferred location.

Also, do most parks let you build a deck around you're trailer? What about a shed?

Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ps. Letme know if you have something I may be interested in!

I am into my 4th year at Layzee Acres and I love it, nice people decent fishing with docking and your close to couch, simcoe and balsam, canal lake etc.

There is another park on the lake Meadow something, I don't know anything about it.

Fyi there are several trailers for sale in the park.

If you want more info on anything in particular PM me.

My parents are selling their trailer. It has everything you stated above. However its located in Sauble Beach. The trailer is approximately 5-6 years old if I recall. Great bass and pike fishing in the summer and the salmon and trout action is also great in the spring and fall. If anyone is interested I can forward pics. Sorry I don't know the price off hand but will find out if you are interested.

Thx. Dux.

Interesting and timely thread hsousa. My wife and I have been discussing this very same thing for a few weeks. The kids are grown and doing their own thing and a weekend getaway would be nice. Nothing fancy, it's just us and the hound. I just want to be on a good lake or/and have good lakes nearby I can trailer to. Looking forward to the responses.

There was a trailer offered for sale on here a couple months ago...I think it was on Pigeon?? Wish I could find that one.

Thanks for the replys guys.. Sorry duxbware but I really have my heart set on the kawarthas.

Grimsbylander, I am in the same boat. If its not on a good lake, I would like something I could trailer my boat to -20 mins away to good fishing.

One thing I find extremely Bull with most parks I have stayed at is that your guests have to pay a 'weekend fee'.. So letme get this straight, I pay my seasonal fee, I pay my docking fee, I pay the seperate electrical bill, but if I want to bring a friend up for the weekend they have to pay to sleep in my trailer, on my rented property? LOL!

Yes it would, but imo that still doesn't justify it.

It is a easy way for the owners to make a quick extra buck.

If I am renting a home, do I have to let the landlord know every time a friend of mine has a bit to much to drink and passes out on my couch?

It keeps the number of people down. Trailer parks are licensed with a capacity of people they can have on the property. It sucks but if everyone who had a trailer could have a bunch of people every weekend over, the park would be a zoo. It was a pain but it was kinda nice not always having to entertain when we had our trailer. I have ours up for sale. Its a 30ft'r and sleeps 6. Most parks want trailers that are less than 10 hears old. Remember that when looking for one. you can build a deck and have a small shed at most places. You have to do your homework. See what is offered and what is included. Make sure you have a sewage hookup, kinda important otherwise you will have to get a honey wagon that you empty your tanks into then have to dump. It can be messy if there is a leak or spill. It isnt exactly cheap to own a trailer but it is cheaper than buying a cottage. PM me if you want any more info.

There is a town owned trailer park right at the beach in Bobcaygeon with sites available. It has a good boat launch. It is a quiet park...I know because our cottage is right across the road. You can fish Sturgeon from your park or trailer less then a mile to a free launch at the north end of Pidgeon and fish it. Many many lakes are just a short tow away. Being right in town may not appeal to some but we really like it. You can literally walk to the beer or liquor store or even get last minute groceries...as well as quick trips to Homehardware if something needs fixing. The ladies like exploring the shops on the main street as well. If we had went the trailer route I would have been in there in a heartbeat. Sorry I don't have any info on the park but I'm sure a quick goggle search would turn something up for you or maybe someone on here will chime in.

Good luck with your hunting and I hope you enjoy your new get away :clapping:

Yes it would, but imo that still doesn't justify it.

It is a easy way for the owners to make a quick extra buck.

If I am renting a home, do I have to let the landlord know every time a friend of mine has a bit to much to drink and passes out on my couch?

Apples and oranges my friend....and believe me I am not crazy about my guests having to fork over 8 bucks a night but the way I figure their park their rules.

Before I signed up at lazee acres I looked at a nice park on Balsam Lake and this park wouldn't allow anybody to use the trailer other than the owners....different parks different rules!

I am in a park on Balsam lake. You can deck your site up to a 12 foot wide deck and have an 8' x 8' shed on your site. The park has a boat launch and docks for rent in a protected lagoon which means you don't have to worry about the weather if you leave your boat in the water when you are not there. You can purchase a used your trailer or a new one from the park. You may want to look at the cottager units. They have a lot more room in them and depending on the model you choose they are not a lot of extra cash. The advantage of being on the chain is you can lock to the other lakes without trailering your boat. From Balsam you can go to Canal and Mitchell with out having to travel through locks. I would not want to be on a land locked lake. We like to go for boat rides. The park is Sandy Beach Resort

There are many trailer parks on the kawarthas if you pick pigeon or buckhorn or chemong you are on the tri-lakes area of the kawarthas and have access to 3 lakes without going through locks !!!!!! My family had one for years at lonesome pine on pigeon I see lots of trailers for sale up here it's a matter of preference on which you choose but this area will give you the most water to fish of the kawarthas and the drive is not too far for you !!!! Good luck !!!!!

Try looking just a bit further east of Peterborough. 20 klm. You may find the cost a little less. There is a camp on Belmont Lake (Sawmill Bay Trailer Park)and one on Cordova Lake (Cordova Lake Camp Ground). Both offer multi species fishing and have many other lakes close by.

Regards

Edited by davew3

This was on another site This is a nice park on the BOQ. You could do a test.

Hello, If anyone is interested in staying at the Mohawk Bay Trailer Park this summer I have a gift certificate available for $600.00 ... this is for a 1 week stay in a deluxe trailer. Just show up with your food, drink and boat.
It's valued at $780.00 and was won at this years Kiwanis walleye tournament for a 6th place finish.

Drop me a line at 613-659-3136 (Chuck) or 613-583-2720 (Darren)
or email me at [email protected]

Thanks

Interesting and timely thread hsousa. My wife and I have been discussing this very same thing for a few weeks. The kids are grown and doing their own thing and a weekend getaway would be nice. Nothing fancy, it's just us and the hound. I just want to be on a good lake or/and have good lakes nearby I can trailer to. Looking forward to the responses.

There was a trailer offered for sale on here a couple months ago...I think it was on Pigeon?? Wish I could find that one.

that was mine. Sold in the spring. There is a couple for sale in my park. Sandshell Trailer Park on Pigeon. Look up Floods Drive on google earth. There's a 40' with i believe 3 tipouts coming up for sale very soon if not already. I think he's asking 13,000 nut would probably go for closer to 11. I'm up there this weekend from Friday to Tuesday if anyone wants to come by and look around. Just pm me and I'll give you my number to call or text.

Thanks for the replys guys.. Sorry duxbware but I really have my heart set on the kawarthas.

Grimsbylander, I am in the same boat. If its not on a good lake, I would like something I could trailer my boat to -20 mins away to good fishing.

One thing I find extremely Bull with most parks I have stayed at is that your guests have to pay a 'weekend fee'.. So letme get this straight, I pay my seasonal fee, I pay my docking fee, I pay the seperate electrical bill, but if I want to bring a friend up for the weekend they have to pay to sleep in my trailer, on my rented property? LOL!

hydro included at our park

A lot of parks charge the extra fee and at our old park it was 5$ per car not each separate person !!! We used to just buy a summer pass for 40$ and we were covered for the whole time the park was open for the year !!!! The extra hydro charge was only if you ran your air conditioner on your trailer and I think it was 75$ for the season as well !!!!and we could have a beer fridge and a shed as well !!!! The dock fees you pay every spring and you are all set !!! We looked at the cottage option and it was still a lot cheaper to have a trailer than a cottage !!!! They cut the grass and do all the maint work and paint the docks and all that !!!! Stuff you would have to do if ya owned a cottage !!! Leaves a lot more time for fishing !!!! If you have kids most parks have things going on all summer for them as well so again leaves more time for fishing !!!!! Ad they are usually very secure and in 15 yrs we never had a theft or break-in so another good thing as well !!!! So it's just a matter of preference and you won't regret it it's all what you make of it !!!!!!! Good luck and keep us informed how you decide to go !!!!!!! There's lots of trailers still for sale in my area which is the Kawartha lakes (sturgeon lake)

• 1 month later...

Just a heads up, lots of parks now want you to by a trailer in their park. 10 years or older they don't want you in because your trailer is classed as a hazard. More and more parks now attend park associations meetings,. and chime in on the same set rules. Insurance companies are part of these changes. Almost as bad as the cottage associations on lakes they call their own, put that's another story.

I would think twice now buying a trailer. You could end up with a trailer sitting in a storage place that nobody wants.