Subaru ready to retire, looking at a new car. HELP!

Big Cliff

Well my 1998 Subaru Forester has served me well, this darn thing just keeps going (even got me home on two cylinders when the ignition module decided to quit) but it I think it is time to retire the old girl, she has 220,000 k on her, the body is still in good shape but I've just had to spend over $2000.00 on it in the last 6 months, new brakes, ignition module, new alternator and battery..... I fear that the cost to maintain it is getting to the point where it would be cheeper to buy something new.

As part of my (semi-retired) job requires me to drive down to Toronto once a week I'm getting a little leery about the "what if's" so I am thinking I'll be getting a new car this week. I have looked at several but narrowed it down to two that seem like they will be in my price range. Any feed back on either or both would be appreciated.

My first choice at this point is the 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT

But it is a toss up between the 2013 KIA SOLE

Both are about the same price give or take a couple of $$, I like the SOLE because it seems to be a cross between a car and an SUV but after driving the Elantra it handled beautifully, was very comfortable, and I really felt comfortable with the salesman.

Anyone own either of these or know someone that does? Any feedback would be much appreciated!

The Kia SOLE will ended up costing more after you tint the windows so nobody can you see you driving it ;)

We have a 2012 Elantra 4dr Sedan 6sp Manual. PHENOMENAL on gas. My wife averaged 4.9 L/100 yesterday from London to Sauble Beach

The dealers in our area will bend over backwards for customer satisfaction. Car wash and paint touch-ups (stone chips) at each service for example. Courtesy car for overnight warranty work was negotiated into the deal.

Two minor problems fixed no charge in 36,000 km

- tube from AC evaporator came off.

- exhaust clamp loosened causing an occasional tinny sound under vibration.

Personally, I would decline the electronic rust protection but my wife liked the body warranty and no inspection policy. I prefer Krown rustproofing myself.

I don't care for the Elantra GT look but its better than the SOLE!!

Happy so far and would buy another; maybe even the Sonata next time.

Support North America I say Cliff..

I don't think you can come close to matching value and quality in that price range.

Also keep in mind, you are supporting a dealer and transportation network that keeps your friends and neighbours employed.

I don't think you can come close to matching value and quality in that price range.

Also keep in mind, you are supporting a dealer and transportation network that keeps your friends and neighbours employed.

I can see this will get argumentive,not fair to the OP,I feel buying north america ,supports more then just a dealer and a few wrench monkeys.

Take no offence Brian,as I dont. This is just my opinion. SUPPORT YOUR OWN.

Good luck with whatever you go with Cliff. Debbe and I got a 2013 Hyundia Sante Fe in March. I know that is not one of your choices, however I thought I would mention that this is our 3rd Hyundia vehicle and Ontario Hyundia who we deal with hear in Oshawa...well the dealership is in Whitby... has treated us very well...I can't say enough about them.

Also our other 2 Hyundia's which where both Accents where bullet proof and cost next to nothing to maintain...Debbe is driving the 2006 right now. Although it is only fair to mention the Accents where Debbe's daily driver...12 KM a day to and from work so they never had any tough sledding to do. But some say just puttering around town is harder on a car then getting it out on the hiway. Just thought I would mention how happy we have been with Hyundia Cliff. Again good luck with your car hunting.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

I think maintaining/repairing your forester would be cheaper than a monthly payment on a new car. I have 280k on my forester, and she runs like a top. Last year I spent less than $2G to keep her on the road. Very reliable, and very, very versitile vehicle. I think you will miss the subaru when she's gone.

S.

The hyundai is a nice car, big for the price and you'll love it while it runs well.

Now, my buddy is a mechanic for Hyundai and he is adamant that he would never buy a Hyundai. He says the Toyota's and Honda's are WAY better built. Take this information for what it is...third hand info...but maybe consider one of the brands better known for reliability?? And...for Brian, a lot of Corolla's and Civics are build in Canada. I have 2009 Corolla, with 150k, built in Canada, and it's an absolute gem and drives like new with no issues since new.

Either way, good luck, hope you get a good deal!!!!

I think maintaining/repairing your forester would be cheaper than a monthly payment on a new car. I have 280k on my forester, and she runs like a top. Last year I spent less than $2G to keep her on the road. Very reliable, and very, very versitile vehicle. I think you will miss the subaru when she's gone.

S.

lets do the math on that say you spent 1700 on it last year, thats 141/month or a car payment every month, if it costs you that much every year to keep on the road, its time for a new vehicle with warranty.

OP, im a ford guy, so obviously my first choices would be either the focus or fusion for around 20k with great gas mileage, or i have driven the the new ford taurus, its not a grandmas car anymore, its quite nice, but starts at 26k for a 2013

Ever considered a slightly used car? Ex. You can buy a 2011 or so bmw 3 series for the same price as most new japanese cars. Euro cars traditionally come with really long and excellent warranties too.

And also the "american brand means american jobs" thing is somewhat a saying from the past... Look at the toyota plant in woodstock, for example. However, most euro cars such as bmw and m-benz are built in germany and shipped over on a boat.

Ever considered a slightly used car? Ex. You can buy a 2011 or so bmw 3 series for the same price as most new japanese cars. Euro cars traditionally come with really long and excellent warranties too.

And also the "american brand means american jobs" thing is somewhat a saying from the past... Look at the toyota plant in woodstock, for example. However, most euro cars such as bmw and m-benz are built in germany and shipped over on a boat.

yea, you can get a slightly used bmw of benz, but ever price out replacement parts for one? or a set of tires even.....not cheap, theres a reason why people get rid of them when the warranty is up

I just can't see someone named "Big Cliff" driving a Kia Soul. :D

I've seen plenty of good reviews on both those cars, so I think you'd be fine with either as long as you like them.

I bought a new car 2 weeks ago. I was in the same situation as you. Narrowed down to two cars - Mazda CX-5 and Subaru Forester. I had a slight preference for the Mazda, but if I didn't get a good deal I would have seen what I could have done with the Forester.

I suggest you make sure you look at all the dealers in an area equal to the distance you're willing to drive, not just locally. Also use the internet to your advantage. I found a salesperson through internet forums who straight up offered me 2% over invoice with no dealership fees (Nitrogen, Globali and all that other garbage). Almost everyone else played games. Honda and Toyota were some of the worst in my experience.

Good luck!!

I just can't see someone named "Big Cliff" driving a Kia Soul. :D

I've seen plenty of good reviews on both those cars, so I think you'd be fine with either as long as you like them.

I bought a new car 2 weeks ago. I was in the same situation as you. Narrowed down to two cars - Mazda CX-5 and Subaru Forester. I had a slight preference for the Mazda, but if I didn't get a good deal I would have seen what I could have done with the Forester.

I suggest you make sure you look at all the dealers in an area equal to the distance you're willing to drive, not just locally. Also use the internet to your advantage. I found a salesperson through internet forums who straight up offered me 2% over invoice with no dealership fees (Nitrogen, Globali and all that other garbage). Almost everyone else played games. Honda and Toyota were some of the worst in my experience.

Good luck!!

yea, this, i bought my truck through the guy that buys vehicles for the dealership, so was able to get for just above the price he paid at auction for it, and 5k less then what the dealership wanted

I can see this will get argumentive,not fair to the OP,I feel buying north america ,supports more then just a dealer and a few wrench monkeys.

Take no offence Brian,as I dont. This is just my opinion. SUPPORT YOUR OWN.

"Support your own" is always my first choice but when it comes to a big ticket item like a car, I support me first. In my opinion, the Elantra is unmatched for style, service and quality in its price range.

I think you're also underestimating the number of quality jobs a dealership supports. Also, it won't be long before Hyundai starts building in North America and hopefully turning the lights on in some vacant plants and employing displaced workers.

It's brands like Hyundai, Toyota and Honda that put the big three where they were a few years ago and forced them to step up their made in North America quality.

Competition is a good thing and consumers will benefit from it. Toyota has done a world of good for Woodstock and the local feeder plants. I'm okay with attracting foreign investment in Canadian jobs. Ford on the other hand has hurt a lot of local industry by closing the Talbotville plant.

Just so you know, I always check for COO (country of origin) when I am purchasing something. If I can get the same or better quality made in North America, I'm willing to shell out a few extra bucks.

I don't think I'll be changing your opinion but I wanted to expand on my thoughts.

Edited by SlowPoke

lets do the math on that say you spent 1700 on it last year, thats 141/month or a car payment every month, if it costs you that much every year to keep on the road, its time for a new vehicle with warranty.

OP, im a ford guy, so obviously my first choices would be either the focus or fusion for around 20k with great gas mileage, or i have driven the the new ford taurus, its not a grandmas car anymore, its quite nice, but starts at 26k for a 2013

Maybe so, but your not getting much for $141/mo, or your putting out A large downpayment.

Your also not getting the versitality of the subaru forster. Just wait till the snow flies, or you need to get up a slippery hill......you'll be missing the forester. What about when you kill your deer this fall? Gonna throw it in the back of the soul? Have to tow your trialer around?

I'm a bit biased, my forester has been awesome, and if/when it dies, I'm getting another one. At 270K it owes me nothing.

S.

Thanks guys, I would love to be able to afford a new Forester but I can't justify spending that much. I did look at Honda, Toyota, and Ford, wouldn't touch a GM if you gave it to me after having a really bad experience with their lack of customer service. I told them then that I wouldn't ever buy one of their products again.

As for keeping this old girl alive, it needs front end work, a new sensor, parking brake just quit working and the exhaust system is starting to get a little loud. The power steering lines will have to be replaced one day soon, the cruse control has quit working and high speed on the blower fan no longer works. I am concerned that if the transmission or engine do decide to fail I'll have so much money invested in it that I'd end up having to sink even more ito it. Got to draw the line somewhere.

I can buy a brand new Elantra CT for $306.00 a month with nothing down at zero% financing. With the amount of driving I am doing right now I expect to see a minimum 30% reduction just in my fuel costs which will save me over $100.00 a month. Still got some thinking to do though, it is a big investment for us.

Maybe so, but your not getting much for $141/mo, or your putting out A large downpayment.

Your also not getting the versitality of the subaru forster. Just wait till the snow flies, or you need to get up a slippery hill......you'll be missing the forester. What about when you kill your deer this fall? Gonna throw it in the back of the soul? Have to tow your trialer around?

I'm a bit biased, my forester has been awesome, and if/when it dies, I'm getting another one. At 270K it owes me nothing.

S.

I do love the Forester, no question about it but it starts at about @ $26,000.00 and goes up quite quickly from there. What year is your Forester Sinker?

Don't try to justify it Cliff, just go ahead and buy it, you work hard and deserve it. I buy a new truck every 3 or 4 years and it's a great feeling being behind the wheel of a nice new vehicle.

Plus the fact it's under warranty and you don't have the worries associated with an old car.

Mine is an '04, and its also a turbo.

I haven't had many issues. Did some front end work at about 200k ($1200), and just replaced a wheel bearing($200). Other than that just brakes, tires, and oil changes.

It will probably blow up on me now tho......lol

S.