towing with F150

ld17

More than likely od off will be the best on your transmission, Whats your truck rated for and what is the weight of the boat? I find if I am near half of the towing capacity the od stays off. Most manuals will tell you to shut the od off. Actually most newer trucks will have a tow/haul button that will change the shift points and keep the od disabled.

Unless you're on flat terrain at highway speeds, it's best to keep it out of OD. Not sure if you have a tow/haul button, but if you do and you're exceeding 50% of the GCWR it helps to use it, otherwise the longer shifts are annoying.

Bill we do the same! DMAX all the way.

Hauled 12000 lbs with her last week lol

But like others have said.

If tow/haul is an option in your truck. Use it while hauling the boat.

Does the truck have the 5.4 triton? Or 5.0?

Either way. Truck will handle the boat no problem.

Turn OD off before hills

Increasing your speed 5-10 km/hr at the bottom of a hill will also help you.

Have fun fishing!

Luke

The secret to the question is what is the transmission temperature. Keeping it below 210 degrees will prevent the fluids from becoming acidic/breaking down and damaging the transmission. A truck with the tow package has a tran and oil cooler along with a few other goodies to keep the load in check. I run a 2012 ecoboost 12 hours straight doing 75 mph with a 20ft Ranger and a weeks worth of gear without an issue reaching 198 F degrees in the mountains. My Titan was at 210 and I had to lock out overdrive before I even got close to the mountains and it did not have a tow package.

Art

If your tranny is constantly searching for gears, drop it into OD.

S.

When a transmission is "searching" for gears, it's because the RPMs are too low for the current gear and road speed, so it downshifts looking for higher RPMs. Putting it into D (also known as OD, the highest gear, lowest RPMs while cruising) doesn't solve that, it causes it.

I got into the habit as soon as I start the truck while hauling I hit the tow button, switching OD off. I will hit it again if merging onto traffic if need be, but off when

Towing, always. I had 500K on the old GMC with original tranny and that beast towed car trailers for years and always had it on D2, hills or no hills. I watched my RPM closely and saw no difference on the highway. I think selecting OD off is a good habit to get in.