Interesting Read On C&R

FloatnFly

I've never seen mortality rates like Dr Tufts study. I've fished the same river day after day after day never seen mortality rates like this.

If this type of mortality was true we would run out of fish in 5 years.

Those dead fish are probably way down stream of where you caught them.

And those dead fish were up stream and I don't see them.

And I don't believe in magical disappearing dead fish.

Ever river we go to should be littered with dead fish. I don't see this.

Alright David Suzuki, I'm sure you know much better then the guys doing this study....

And those dead fish were up stream and I don't see them.

And I don't believe in magical disappearing dead fish.

Ever river we go to should be littered with dead fish. I don't see this.

i see dead fish almost every time out, whether they are floating downstream, snagged up on tree roots are dragged up on shore, just because YOU don't see them, doesn't mean they aren't there, they could be caught up on the bottom of the pool you're fishing

Common sense is key... Ive slowed down on my Stealhead fishing over the past couple years(dont like the sharing pools with 5 guys) but in the past id take a quick pick then back in the water. Cant say everyone did that though :( lots are thrown on shore or carried around for a couple mins by their gills then thrown back in without proper revival.... education to our young anglers is key to the future!

Yes this study definitely doesn't transfer to real live release trout fishing. Delayed mortality fish would not be hanging in trees they would not have there belly slit open.

They would be other wise healthy looking fish "DEAD" in every hole on every creek. They would be in every slack water area, every deep slow pool, the harbor areas would be litter with these fish.

Name call if like superstar I don't see this. Some crafty writes (most likely closet P E T A writers) spin a tale and you fall all over yourself.

The mortality rates in the study were high because the experiment used small hatchery rainbow trout. Less than a pound. On top of that, they had been subjected to surgery a day or two prior to the experiment.

Experimental data (numbers) in a lab setting should NEVER be used to directly measure the natural world.

The study simply demonstrates that exposure of fish to the air after a fight is bad and it can lead to mortality. We all know this already. The article is written to suggest that many mature steelhead die. Some may, but not the the same numbers as the experimental trout.

I have nothing to back this up, but there's a chance that the native, wild, west coast steelhead have a higher mortality after being released than the steelhead in the great lakes tribs

I can remember catching 2 and 3 pound brookies on a tributary of the Albany, and the fish were fighting hard, past point of exhaustion, and we were having trouble releasing them, even in the cold water, after catching a couple and realizing they weren't releasing well, I stopped fishing them

it was immediately obvious though (it wasn't a delayed mortality, hours later), when trying to release a fish, it wouldn't swim away and had trouble staying upright, even though we were taking our time, holding them in water for minutes

I remember hearing/ reading something about the Sutton R, where you could tell there was a party fishing upstream from you, because of all the fresh brookies floating by

The mortality rates in the study were high because the experiment used small hatchery rainbow trout. Less than a pound. On top of that, they had been subjected to surgery a day or two prior to the experiment.

Experimental data (numbers) in a lab setting should NEVER be used to directly measure the natural world.

The study simply demonstrates that exposure of fish to the air after a fight is bad and it can lead to mortality. We all know this already. The article is written to suggest that many mature steelhead die. Some may, but not the the same numbers as the experimental trout.

Cant agree more. I'll add that using light line and even lighter leader would also pad the authors numbers relating to mortality due to over-exhaustion.

I remember hearing/ reading something about the Sutton R, where you could tell there was a party fishing upstream from you, because of all the fresh brookies floating by

This was due to the fish coming from salt into fresh water and their blood not coagulating fast enough.. For what it's worth, Mike and I didn't see any floaters at all on our trip (We had parties above and below us)... Water was still extremely cold, even for August.

Cant agree more. I'll add that using light line and even lighter leader would also pad the authors numbers relating to mortality due to over-exhaustion.

this isn't joe schmo that did the study, its the guy who has shaped C&R methods across north america, dr bruce tufts, google his name, you'll find his name in the mnr guidlines as well

In-fishermen has also published a great deal on C&R and mortality throughout the years. I can't summarize it properly here but the numbers have improved a lot over the years as angler awareness, skill and tackle have also improved.

Edited by kickingfrog

This was due to the fish coming from salt into fresh water and their blood not coagulating fast enough.. For what it's worth, Mike and I didn't see any floaters at all on our trip (We had parties above and below us)... Water was still extremely cold, even for August.

just curious, were they reviving and releasing well?

on the Attwood R, not sea run brookies, these fish seemed to fight to the death, the fish weren't hooked bad either, they just seemed to not want to come to the net

I remember reading that west coast chinooks and east coast atlantics can totally exhaust themselves during the fight

I believe there was also a paper (or two) done on haemophilia in those Sutton brooktrout but the details and credibility of them are unknown to me.

There was Rob... Yeah, believe so. Buddy of mine Dave working with MNR now has brought this up before I think. Can't remember what the verdict was. Blood clotting shhhtuff! I remembering being told that any bleeding searun is a dead fish if released... but that came from someone who'd never release any fishing at all. lol.

Anyways... the dood's studies are his studies I guess. Good food for thought. Though by some people's account, none of us should be hooking, playing, handling, holding, photographing or releasing any fish, as any part in that can or will be harmful.