Happy Musky Opener

Rich

My plans for the weekend have changed but maybe I'll get out one day next week. Being retired and living in the heart of the Kawarthas and surrounded by muskies though, missing opening day isn't such a big deal :blahblah1::lol:

I'm jealous Lew. I'm sure you have lots of openings this summer to fish, nice to avoid the rush of opening day. Then again, lots of retired guys tell me they are busier now than when they were working full time. That boat doesn't wax itself after all!

Then again, lots of retired guys tell me they are busier now than when they were working full time.

You've got that right Roger, I'm so busy now I wouldn't have time for a job, but that's the way I like it.

Slow morning out there and probably wouldnt have got one if a fish hadn't swiped and missed after an Lturn as i was lifting the lure out of the water. Knowing the fish wAs there I slowed it down and just slowrolled a spinnerbait, constantly popping the lure. Felt the weight and avoided the skunk. Fish was barely hooked on the trailer in the tip of his snout so just did a quick boatside release. Quick flick with the pliers and he shot off like a bullet. Happy hunting everyone!

...and jigger gets it all started. Any size?

No measurement but Id say on the better side of 40. Water was very high and still cold, 62-63deg. Looks like I left the water 3hrs too early. Forecaster fearmongering got me, i guess...

Well opener here was a BIG BLOW I hit the water before 6am the winds were SW 20+mph with gusts over 30. It was a bumpy ride out to the area I was to fish ( not my first choice but where the wind would let me go)

By 7:30 I had a sheep head follow my double ten to the boat WTH was he thinking? Then I had a perch and another sheep head follow. By this time the wind had switched to the south which made it easier as the waves were less then a foot for 1 1/2 hours until she blew again around 9:30.

I had my only musky on and off around then it hit my sledge gave me a few second battle before tossing the hooks during a small jump.

I was glad to get out and wet a line lets hope there is better wind tomorrow or next weekend.

Hope everyone is having a great opener.

My plans for the weekend have changed but maybe I'll get out one day next week. Being retired and living in the heart of the Kawarthas and surrounded by muskies though, missing opening day isn't such a big deal :blahblah1::lol:

Ain't that the truth. I don't have time for a paper route because what took me a few hours to do now takes me a week retired. Exception, fishing. You guys caught more Musky in one morning than I have in 30 years. Only 1 on Skugog in 84, and that was a Tiger Musky, hybrid I am told, doesn't that count?

I better be careful with these posts, this spellcheck inserted Muslims for Musky, sure am glad I read it back.

Just got in after an evening fish. Spent the morning running around looking for a new foot control. Got out around 1:30. Got one in the boat on the troll in a tiny lure. Lots of bass hitting double 9's and 10's. Tried jerkbaits, topwaters and trolling. Not much luck. Going out again tomorrow. Anybody have any luck in the Kawarthas and want to offer up some rips?