New Shotgun Suggestions?

I've just taken my PAL and hunting course, and I'm in the market for a new 12 gauge package. I plan to hunt deer, turkey, perhaps some waterfowl.

Just looking for opinions?

I've had a couple people get the Mossberg camo package with 3 barrels and 4 chokes, and they seemed happy with it. Another friend has an Ithaca Semi and loves it...he's telling me to spend more and get something higher quality.

Glad to hear some opinions? At this point I'm hoping to find something used, and my budget is fairly broad depending on the package...say $250-$750...

Thanks!

Kevin

I just took the courses a couple of years ago too, a 12 gauge was also my first purchase.

I did a fair bit of research and settled on the Remington 887 nitro mag in camo. It has a 3.5" chamber to keep my options open. I like it so far, no problems. The other gun I was considering was a Remington 870 with 3 barrels, My gun was $425, the 870 combo was just over $500

Go put a few comparable pumps to your shoulder. Best gun for you is the one that mounts easiest and feels right.

My vote in a pump is Benelli Super Nova, being quite tall having the shim kit made it fit much better. This is 100% for waterfowl though.

If you want a one gun battery for slugs, waterfowl and turkey something in a combo kit will be more economical.

Try a few guns out Kevin,

The cheap 870 combo package you can get is crap. I have one. They rust like crazy. Stay away from them.

I have not heard anything negative about the mosburg combo package you mentioned.

The choice to go pump or semi depends on the shooter. My vehicle has a manual transmission, My boat is a tiller, and my primary use guns are all pumps. :D

I've had a Remington 870 for years and it is still in tip top shape. If you don't want it to rust, you have to do a bit of maintenance on it. A little oil goes a long way. I didn't buy the combo cause I bought it second hand, but I did buy a rifled deer barrel for it.

90% of police forces don't use 870's because they're crap......that's a bold statement NAW.

Its a personal choice. I've seen them all fail, top of the line semis turned into single shots, pumps that won't cycle properly etc.

My 870 has never let me down, but some people do complain about them. I think they just baby them too much myself. You gotta beat on them to break them in.

Any gun will rust if you don't take care of it. A bit of rust adds character anyways :)

I'm an 870 guy thru and thru. I shoot a lot of shells in a season, and haven't been let down yet. I've seen the super nova fail, I've seen the mossberg literally fall apart, and I had a winchester that never worked right from brand new. Many times I've had guys with semis in a muddy field cursing their fancy guns, while the 870 guys pound away, dirt and all.

Lots of add ons and options for the 870's as well.

In the end, its your choice. Point a few and see what feels best. If you have friends with guns, see if you can shoot a few and decide from there.

S.

+++on the 870 just give it a good rubbing when you get in after blasting its a no failem and will drop all your wish list imo you dont need 3 1/2 just go to 3 and bobs your uncle

Cheers

Peter

go around to some of the local turkey shoots 9 times out of 10 somebody is selling a gun for a decent price

90% of police forces don't use 870's because they're crap......that's a bold statement NAW.

Don't get me wrong S.. I love my 870 for it's reliability. I never said they weren't a reliable gun, and my 870's (I own 2) have never let me down. I said they rust like crazy.. And it's a real piss off for me. I know Kevin, and I think it would be a real piss off for him too.

The 870 combo gun is the Express model. Maybe the 870 wingmaster's don't rust as bad?

I have hunted in the morning in the rain, and my gun was starting to rust before the time I got home in the evening. Every time it gets wet, I have to disassemble everything short of the trigger and clean and oil everything.

Did I get a poor mill run? Does anyone else have this issue with a new 870 express?

My 1100 from the 70's has not one spec of rust on it. I've gone on weekend camping trips where it has rained all weekend, and my gun was soaked the entire time. NOT one spec of rust...

I oil all my guns after every use, but yah, the express 870's with the matte finish rust just thinking about getting wet. Mine has rust all over....just how she goes. It still goes bang every time.

Get a camo model, they hold up a lot better to rust, or just oil it down every time.

Wingmasters are a much finer gun, for sure.

S.

870 Express combo. Yes, it may rust but for the price, you will have a shotgun that can do everything for you now. You can purchase finer firearms later when you have some extra dough. Keep it greased and lubed and it will be fine.

Not all shotguns will fit all people.

Nothing wrong with the 870, I just can't shoot them. Hits my cheek.

I like my Brownings. The Cetari over under is my favorite.

Although you should look for something that you can interchange barrels.

Try out something that fits you. I have purchased guns in the past that just don't work for me.

The nice thing about guns is that they usually hold their value if they are looked after and in good condition.

If you go used in a private sale check it out carefully

My son has bought several guns from Elwood Epps in Orillia. Good folks and they know their stuff.

Not sure how far away you live from there, but it may be worth your time to check them out.

Had a bunch of pumps and a few semi's and honestly the only one that gets out to the field is the condor outback over under, cheap, reliable, light fast everything I want out of a shotgun.

Have had the mossberg 935, and 830, rem 870, winchester speedpump and a baikal semi. None of then feel as good walking around the bush as this one.

FirstGrouse_zpsf504f9e1.jpg

Go put a few comparable pumps to your shoulder. Best gun for you is the one that mounts easiest and feels right.

That's some of the best advice you'll ever get. Close your eyes and get the one that fits the best and feels the most natural in your hands.

Among pumps, I'm another of those 870 guys. With apologies to Browning and Mossberg fans, the Remington 870 is likely the most reliable pump ever made, which is why they're the best-selling shotgun in history and far and away the number one choice for law enforcement.

That said, my all-time favourite shotgun was a Remington 11-87 autoloader I once owned. It was heavier than the 870, which would obviously make it less attractive for deer hunting, but for waterfowl or turkey where you're more or less stationary, it wasn't a factor at all. It just fit my shoulder like it was made for it, and always hit whatever I pointed it at. I've owned a lot of guns, but that is one I wish I still had.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Not all shotguns will fit all people.

Nothing wrong with the 870, I just can't shoot them. Hits my cheek.

I like my Brownings. The Cetari over under is my favorite.

Although you should look for something that you can interchange barrels.

Try out something that fits you. I have purchased guns in the past that just don't work for me.

The nice thing about guns is that they usually hold their value if they are looked after and in good condition.

If you go used in a private sale check it out carefully

My son has bought several guns from Elwood Epps in Orillia. Good folks and they know their stuff.

Not sure how far away you live from there, but it may be worth your time to check them out.

I'm the same way Bernie, went to the gun shop a couple of times set to buy the 870 wingmaster and just couldn't get happy with the way it fit me. My current gun has made me a better shot because of how well it fits.

On another note I shot a A400 this spring when hunting snows....that is a beautiful weapon! Beretta thinks so too judging by the cost...

Rem 870 combo, with 3 barrels for less thaan $600 right now.

That's a smoothbore shot barrel, rifled cantilever barrel, and short turkey barrel with turkey choke. That will hunt anything in canada.

S.

Thanks folks! I had an option to buy a Mossberg combo with 3 barrels and 4 chokes in camo at $400, so I bought it.

Really looking forward to trying it out.

The advice about trying some guns is wise...I'll do that. I figure at that price I could always have the combo and use it even if I did buy another gun down the road after finding one that fits best...can't have too many guns, can you? :)

Appreciate the help, thank you.