Monster bass that almost drowned me

480335_10151620964955568_1166299181_n.jp
Id like to take 5 minutes of your time to share with you guys an untold story. something that was kept ''secret'' a story of pure stupidity , then horror fallowed by courage!

I tell you this story because today i read the piece of paper that my uncle Daniel A. Simard was able to salvage, a piece of paper that holds a message my brother wrote to empty his thoughts , clear his mind .

Daniel found this message on my brothers desktop full of grease , grim and food . something that would have been tossed in the garbage, but he grabed it and gave it to me.

In 2010 , I almost drowned camping with my buddies on a island. I cought a fish and lost him right at the boat, My biggest BASS ever!!!! My reflexe was to try to catch him with my hand by jumping in the water.....

with all my clothes on , having 0/10 swimming abilities , the wind pushing 40/km and the fact that i kicked the boat while jumping in the water was pure disaster....

My brother Jason Kyers quickly threw the life jacket but the wind got to it and landed 1/4 of the way in. It was to far for me to swim to it.Thank GOD MIchel bouche came fishing with us that after noon because jason dosent know how to swim...

and would have been a double mortality because in my heart i truly believe he would have jumped and tried to save me .... in 30-45 seconds i was exausted trying to keep my head out of the water.

with 0% energie, now my head is going in the water and comming back out barely to breath, now im exausted and give it all i got to keep my head out of the water.

This is my last chance, with one last breath i scream....... MIKE.... MIKEEE.... MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE. my eyes are at water level and i see mike jumping in the water.

i felt releaved, i was under the water but now i knew help was on the way holding my breath and sticking my hand out of the water. Mike was smart enough to swim to the life jacket , after swim to me and gave me the life jacket. as soon as i felt something in my hands i grabbed it and hugged it and my head came back out.

My last breath was not of water but of air. a huge GASP! mike screams; lay on your back and kick. Mike is fully dressed , im fully dressed hes swimmming with one arm he found the strengh to swim towards the island that is 100 feet away.

at one point 25' from the island mike asked me ( please start kicking) he had 0% ,i had 0% energie left but gave baby kicks . he says it helped , nonetheless like a beast he pulled us out of the water, dragged me on the island .

all this was happening right in front of jason's eyes he was in a constant struggle trying to drive the boat back to us , againts the wind. with the electric motor.

Ryan Boisseau was 500' away on pearl island watching the seen from the dock, he had woken up from my screams of terror

he finaly got to us but we were on the island at that point. i went into a panic attack trying to regain my heart beat and my breath breathing heavely in and out at 100 miles an houres. that noise will stay in our minds for ever.

i was in paninc but i was breathing air. not water. with the hospital 2 houres away.only an elecopter would have maybe saved me. mikes adrenaline saved us. after all this mike instantly had a head ack and fell and blacked out sleeping, he gave it all he got . put his life in danger.

for a stupid act of selfishness. i owe my life to this brave couragous man.

Today, Right here Right now, just breathing makes me HAPPY,

@Michel boucher you gave me a second chance , i owe you my life.

thank you for saving my life , always beeing there and beeing a heck of a buddy!
946147_10151620943990568_1239210136_n.jp

Wow, I feel for you and your brother. Like you, I soon discovered no fish is worth our life. I have taken more than my fair share of stupid stunts. The phrase comes to mind "It'll never happen to me".

Last year, i opted to stay on an island overnight instead of doing the stupid stunt of driving my boat in gale force winds. the good news is, we are still here to talk about it. The year before, I thought we were done for out in the middle of the lake. I still have 2 stress cracks above the water line in my boat as a reminder

Glad things worked out OK for you. I think you owe your brother an apology, as did i with my good fishing buddy.

Cheers, Ron...

Wow, I feel for you and your brother. Like you, I soon discovered no fish is worth our life. I have taken more than my fair share of stupid stunts. The phrase comes to mind "It'll never happen to me".

Last year, i opted to stay on an island overnight instead of doing the stupid stunt of driving my boat in gale force winds. the good news is, we are still here to talk about it. The year before, I thought we were done for out in the middle of the lake. I still have 2 stress cracks above the water line in my boat as a reminder

Glad things worked out OK for you. I think you owe your brother an apology, as did i with my good fishing buddy.

Cheers, Ron...

you got that right ron , we think we can do anything anytime anywhere. well we cant!

Kevin,

Thanks for telling us your story. I have one that I have never told on here before. Please excuse me from hijacking your thread but here it is.

In 1974 my oldest brother (Brent) drowned at the age of 4. He fell into a fast moving creek when he walked away from my father who was distracted for a moment. IT ONLY TAKES A MOMENT! They thought he had been abducted but was found downstream hours later. My mother was pregnant with me at the time and my older brother (Trevor) was 2 yrs. old.

My parents later had a 4th son (Neil) and he is 2 years my younger.

All 3 of us surviving Buchmann boys were certified lifeguards and swimming instructors. It was not an option. Our mother would have it no other way. I personally saved 4 people from drowning in our local pool. Included in those was a mother and 4 year old son who were drowning each other in panic (called "double clutch"). As a result of my training I also saved a boy from choking by using the heimlich maneuver in our hiugh school cafiteria. Pretty sure Brent helped me out in those instances.

My boys are now 10 and 4. They are both excellent swimmers for their ages. However, I was terrified to learn that last Saturday my 10 year old retrieved a soccer ball from a fast moving creek here. He did not get wet but got an earfull from me.

Kevin....PLEASE get swimming lessons. There are sessions for adults to "learn to swim" at your local pool. If you know others who can't swim get them to go with you. Drownings are seldom unpreventable.

May 6th would have been Brent's 42nd birthday. I never met him but always miss him.

With the greatest respect.

Blair Buchmann

Kevin,

Thanks for telling us your story. I have one that I have never told on here before. Please excuse me from hijacking your thread but here it is.

In 1974 my oldest brother (Brent) drowned at the age of 4. He fell into a fast moving creek when he walked away from my father who was distracted for a moment. IT ONLY TAKES A MOMENT! They thought he had been abducted but was found downstream hours later. My mother was pregnant with me at the time and my older brother (Trevor) was 2 yrs. old.

My parents later had a 4th son (Neil) and he is 2 years my younger.

All 3 of us surviving Buchmann boys were certified lifeguards and swimming instructors. It was not an option. Our mother would have it no other way. I personally saved 4 people from drowning in our local pool. Included in those was a mother and 4 year old son who were drowning each other in panic (called "double clutch"). As a result of my training I also saved a boy from choking by using the heimlich maneuver in our hiugh school cafiteria. Pretty sure Brent helped me out in those instances.

My boys are now 10 and 4. They are both excellent swimmers for their ages. However, I was terrified to learn that last Saturday my 10 year old retrieved a soccer ball from a fast moving creek here. He did not get wet but got an earfull from me.

Kevin....PLEASE get swimming lessons. There are sessions for adults to "learn to swim" at your local pool. If you know others who can't swim get them to go with you. Drownings are seldom unpreventable.

May 6th would have been Brent's 42nd birthday. I never met him but always miss him.

With the greatest respect.

Blair Buchmann

thank you for your great story , this was 3 years ago and im not the best swimmer but iv learnt the basic. i wont be able to swim long distances but i can swim now, the probleme with my story is that i was fully dressed. jeans are heavy in the water. and i only weight 135 lbs with no fat to help me surface im like an anchor .... i know you will say eveyone can float but for me its harder . i swear ill get lessons. thanks

thank you for your great story , this was 3 years ago and im not the best swimmer but iv learnt the basic. i wont be able to swim long distances but i can swim now, the probleme with my story is that i was fully dressed. jeans are heavy in the water. and i only weight 135 lbs with no fat to help me surface im like an anchor .... i know you will say eveyone can float but for me its harder . i swear ill get lessons. thanks

Kevin, your local pool will have a learn to swim program for adults and one lesson is swimming with clothes on. I too was a skinny lad and never floated well. Best advise for in a boat besides wearing a lifejacket is loose shoes or boots. You have to be able to kick them off if you go in the water. Many years ago a teen age boy died on his grad night while canoeing close to shore. They tipped the boat and he was wearing steel toe work boots. When they recovered his body he was standing on the bottom of the lake with the surface just 1.5 feet above him.

Both fantastic stories, thanks for sharing I know it probably difficult. Hopefully it can be a lesson to us all concerning water safety, life and death and how fragile we as humans really are.

I always have my PDF on before I get in the boat and have found I still had it on driving down the road on the way home. I don't mind if someone takes their jackets off when we are not running from spot to spot. I will not start the boat for a run unless they put one on. The stand pat answer is, " come on buddy, I know how to swim! ", my stand pat answer is " you see that shoreline a few miles from here, can you make it there?" if you can't you can't swim. Swimming a few laps in a back yard pool or even a few laps in an Olympic size before you need to stop and hold onto the side is NOT swimming, it's a controlled float.

In fact thinking about it, new rule this year, the jacket stays on unless your' re Joanne Mallar. Then she puts it on going full out. Don't like it stay home or buy a PDF. Better yet buy your own boat and do whatever you want. So the stories have made a difference already, thanks.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

i would never jump in the water for no reason.................... unless like you guys say you never know....... i mean this BASS was a huge fish you guys know me by now «????? i mean i post enough QC report here for you to know i catch some nice bass. but this one was a seriouse 7 lbs fish it jumped twice. a SUBMARINE ... a true PIG... OINKER ..... A SMALL GOAT!

a reflexe does not pass threw the brain. i did not think about jumping ion the water. when i say that i lost the fish the white big-o came popping out of the water and the fish was right there within hands reach......... my body flew in the water .......

its was pure instinct.....................

and 1-2 minutes goes fast but when your on the high way to dying it goes in slow mo. when mike jumped i knew ......

thannks for the great replies and stories .

keep them comming.

i know im not the only one here that that had these types of thing happend to him.

speak up i want to hear about them. learn about the dangers and stay away from them the only way to know is to talk about them.

Wow.

Thanks for sharing that.

"something that was kept ''secret'' a story of pure stupidity"

I could not imagine the feeling of being on or near water, knowing I could not swim. And the fact that you jumped in the water, knowing you could not swim. What the hell man..... I bet you've been flamed really really hard over the years be people when you tell them that story! Rightfully so. One of the stupidest things I have ever herd in my life...

Wow.

Thanks for sharing that.

I could not imagine the feeling of being on or near water, knowing I could not swim. And the fact that you jumped in the water, knowing you could not swim. What the hell man..... I bet you've been flamed really really hard over the years be people when you tell them that story! Rightfully so. One of the stupidest things I have ever herd in my life...

That's not fair. I'm sure the guy has been being told how stupid he was for years. It takes a big set of corliones to admit to stupidity. And I dare anyone to say they have never done anything stupid that was dangerous and could have killed themselves or anyone else. That person doesn't exist. He said it was instincts that took over. I think swimming with sharks and jumping out of a perfectly good plane is stupid too. Bungee jumping is stupid. But whom am I too call those that do stupid?

Having a few beers and driving is the stupidest thing we can do, and everyone that drinks has done it at least once, now that's really stupid.

Well glad your green side up man no doubt that was scary. I had a close call when I was younger in a pool. I'll never forget the panic situation I was in. I cant imagine with clothes on. Man. Lesson learned Im sure and your here today to talk about it.

Wow.

Thanks for sharing that.

:clapping::clapping: :clapping:

Millions of people out there don't know how to FLY. yet they still get on a plane every now and then.... :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Flying in an airplane, you've got a pretty good chance of surviving the trip unless it crashes.

Falling into rough water, fully clothed, without a life jacket and unable to swim, your chances aren't quite as good.