Will This Rabbit Live? Should I call Animal Control? NF

Joey

Leave him be, and don't wack him

2 reasons

for one, Its not a good time of year for killing rabbits to eat

for 2, if you don't have a hunting license its poaching

It could even have a litter around there somewhere. You could feed it though.....lettuce, carrots, celery etc. I'm not sure it would eat dog foog, probably not.

Just spread snacks out on your grass where you generally see it and it should eat it.

S.

Funny thing about the toads I have an area under my deck that this great big toad lives. He decided it was a nice place and he eats bugs so I decided to help him out with the food thing. I put out a night light next to his hole and he would sit under it and feed. I then found 2 more toads in the area that were in the garage and feeding from the same light. It got to the point that they would line up in the garage in a 8ft area and feed together because I started to catch crickets and slid them over to them. The big boy thru summer was up to 4 crickets a night I guess I had to much time on my hands. lol

Art

Yup, sounds like a bit too much time there Art :)

Just put a patch on one of its eyes, nothing will mess with Capt then.

Hahahaha, now I like that idea :lol:

Actually Rabbits are very strong. That wound looks old. and not infected, he should be fine. I raise rabbits for meat sometimes im surprised to see what they can endure. I once seen my friends rabbit hutch invaded by a coon. They chewed the rabbits feet to bits thru the cages at night. He was able to save the 3 adult rabbits long enough to get them in the freezer..

The wound isn't too old as the majority of flesh isn't dried up or healed yet and that black is either dirt or infection. Also, rabbits are well known for being very easy animals to kill which any hunter (both human and animal) would agree with. Squirrels and birds have a stronger will to live than most rabbits.

As for your buddy prolonging the suffering of those 3 rabbits for no reason other than to increase meat production, that's borderline animal abuse and very selfish on his part. Are you sure it was coons that chewed their feet and not the mesh that was too large on the floor that was tearing up their feet? It just doesn't sound right that the rabbits would sit still long enough while a coon chewed on their feet?

I raised and slaughtered rabbits for two years. Isn't it nice supplying your family with one of the healthiest meats out there at a lower cost than raising chickens? :canadian:

Any update on this little guy?

Nope, no update. Did not see him yesterday. Although there were a few sitting in my yard about 11:30 p.m., but it was too dark to see if Capt. Rabbit was one of them :) I'll keep my eye out for him tho!!

Leave him be, and don't wack him

2 reasons

for one, Its not a good time of year for killing rabbits to eat

for 2, if you don't have a hunting license its poaching

Aw, c'mon---the guys are just joking around ('cept for Harrison. I think he was serious about the eye patch!) :D

The wound isn't too old as the majority of flesh isn't dried up or healed yet and that black is either dirt or infection. Also, rabbits are well known for being very easy animals to kill which any hunter (both human and animal) would agree with. Squirrels and birds have a stronger will to live than most rabbits.

As for your buddy prolonging the suffering of those 3 rabbits for no reason other than to increase meat production, that's borderline animal abuse and very selfish on his part. Are you sure it was coons that chewed their feet and not the mesh that was too large on the floor that was tearing up their feet? It just doesn't sound right that the rabbits would sit still long enough while a coon chewed on their feet?

I raised and slaughtered rabbits for two years. Isn't it nice supplying your family with one of the healthiest meats out there at a lower cost than raising chickens? :canadian:

Any update on this little guy?

Actually, id say they are very tough. Raising rabbits for many years now. I have seen some things that would shock and awe...I wont go into details as most here couldn't handle it.. As for the cage wires , nope.. It was coons or rats in his barn. He had well over 500 rabbits at that time.. only 3 had their feet chewed almost right to the bone. Wire wounds are quite different. After looking at that picture again I still say that wound is old..No bood on the fur and the meat is dried out where exposed..He will survive just fine..If prey doesn't eat him that is....