What to do with old outboard gas

Dave Bailey

For some reason (probably stupidity on my part) this got posted in the Contests category. So I'll ask again here, where it should be.

I need to get rid of the fuel that my father-in-law has had in the tank for a few years, and a bonfire is not an option. Any suggestions?

Roy suggested using it, in small quantities, in my car. That was my original idea, but I don't have containers to hold it in and I don't want to buy another tank.

First, let me say that I think that the old gas going bad thing is just a myth drilled into the heads of consumers by companys making solutions to sell their products. I can't count how many times I've used one and two year old gas without a problem. My off season is 8 months long up here and never have I had a bad fuel issue without using stabilizer. Not once. But, if you must get rid of it, I like Roys idea. Just throw it into your vehicles gas tank. Don't waste it.

Some of you may remember my question last year about the motor itself. It was running a little weird, starts fine, but RPM drops when I twist the throttle all the way, and it runs better with the choke out. I need to get it apart and give it a good cleaning, check the filter, etc. What I may do is just take it for a good long run and use up all the gas, and then do the maintenance. Could be the gas, could be the system needs a cleanout, could be the filter needs replacing, could be could be could be... I'm a complete newbie at this so things might involve a lot of swearing. May need to pick up a maintenance manual from somewhere.