anybody use old motor oil for their chainsaw bar oil? NF

chris.brock

Anyone have experience with this? I'm guessing it will fly off more. I always have lots of old motor oil in the garage (oil changes) and it seems logical. I could also spray the chain with some chain lube for motor cycle and ATV chains.

thanks

Not motor oil Chris,but I used 32 or 46 hydraulic oil depending on outdoor temps.No color to it so it's a bit hard to know when you run out..

Any oil is better than no oil,but the life of your chain may not last as long or stay as sharp as with using "bar oil".

The viscosity is really different and it does not cling to the bar as it should. The oil also is full of dirt and acids from the combustion process. Both will cause shortened life of your bar and the chain.

Art

The viscosity is really different and it does not cling to the bar as it should. The oil also is full of dirt and acids from the combustion process. Both will cause shortened life of your bar and the chain.

Art

Agree 100 percent, for the amount of a chain saw replacement or even a guide bar and chain why comprimise on the integrity of the oil.

Whatcha doin' with the wood after you cut it?

burning it in the woodstove mostly, some at the campfire

funny sidenote, I remember meeting this group of campers near Opasatika, they had their outdoor campfire in a wash machine tub, and would pour their used motor oil into the bottom of the tub to keep the big logs burning, it worked perfect, a steady, big flames fire

environmentally and fume wise, probably not good

A lot of tree crews I worked with used to use good old used motor oil as bar oil. I did the same for many years. With today's saws I would not try it. As already mentioned, viscosity is a big part of it. Also, the newer saw is a much more precise piece of machinery, having higher running temperatures. Dirt and debris from the old oil plays havock with the drive sprocket over time let alone increased wear on the bar and chain.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but isn't bar chain oil a mineral based product that will biodegrade after a time while old oil will contaminate the area you cut in for a long time. I'd also be concerned about plugging up the oil feed system.

Edited by Tootsie II

Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but isn't bar chain oil a mineral based product that will biodegrade after a time while old oil will contaminate the area you cut in for a long time. I'd also be concerned about plugging up the oil feed system.

You couold be right,but he would still have to filter that engine oil through some type of mesh filter to avoid clogging up the pump.