Need some advice (boat performance related)

Tayzak15

Well this past winter I had decided to purchase a new engine and boat. Well I'm from Timmins and I purchased through a dealer in Orillia because they gave me the best price. It was an Alumacraft v16. Well sure enough today I get a call telling me the boat won't be in for a couple of weeks (I ordered 2 1/2 months ago) at the time they said they would have it by April 18th (the day im moving back to Timmins). I have already bought a 20hp 4 stroke mercury that I was planning to use for it, but now I'm considering looking at a Lund Fury or Alumacraft fisherman because I don't feel like travelling back down here to pick up the new boat once it does come in. So my question here is what kind of performance do you guys think I would get with a 20hp powering either one of these boats? both of them weigh in the 500-600lb range and usually have 2 people in the boat. I'm not looking to be a speed demon with it as long as I can get about 20mph or higher I would be happy. Just wondering if anyone has any similar setups or experience

thanks in advance for replies!

I don't think 20hp is enough for any of those boats. The 16 lund fury is rated for a 40. A buddy of mine has one, and after running it quite a bit, I wouldn't go any less.

I can't say much for the alumacraft, but you will not be happy with an under powered boat, and it can be out right dangerous in the wrong conditions.

S

I think you are under powering the boat with that size engine. Look at the boat's HP rating and go with that if you can. I am assuming you are going with a tiller motor?I would always try to max out the motor size on the boat, but that's just me.

Rob C

Looking online for the tiller models I know the alumacrafts are rated for a 25hp, and the 16ft lund fury was rated for 40 and I believe the 14 foot is rated for 25 or 30. Again, I'm not looking for huge speed just anything around 20mph or around that with 2 people.

I have a 2-stroke merc 20hp on a deep wide tiller full floor/casting deck prince craft pro just under 15ft weighs about 500lbs. Max hp is like 30-35, the 20 goes about 25-30km on mine with those specs. Have been in the same boat with a 40 and it move like a batt outta heck

Yeah I bought the 20 hp earlier this winter because I had put an order on a 16 ft alumacraft utility boat, which only weighed about 300lbs, but they called today and said it won't be in on time so I'm considering just calling back tommorow and seeing if they have the next model up which would be the alumacraft fisherman or lund fury. So I can just grab it as I move back up to Timmins rather than moving back this week then coming back down here in a couple weeks to pick the boat up. Most lakes/rivers I fish are relatively small however there's a couple big ones I fish the largest being about 5000 hectares. I may upgrade later on, if I went this route, but I did just buy the motor this winter and haven't even gotten the chance to use it yet.

keep the responses coming people! I have to make a decision within the next few days since I am moving back on the 18th and I was notified about this late shipment last minute.

If you are stuck with the 20 and can't go anything higher than try an keep the boat as lightly loaded as possible. To be honest with a 16 footer you are going to be right on the verge of not beaing able to get up on plane with it fully loaded. Actually to be honest I would be very think if you have 4 adults with gear and battery, trolling motor you won't get plane without having to drop the prop pitch down. Going from one 16 to another if I was stuck with the motor I would try and get the boat with the flatest bottom. This should in theory put less boat in the water and help you get on plane when loaded. however the downside of a flatter bottom is of course a rougher ride when in choppy conditions. If you are doing smaller lakes and rivers, what about a 16 foot Vbottom john or duck boat? They will plane out a little easier. Ar eyou planning on loading up with people etc?

For example. Mine is a 16 foot Lund with deck front and rear fand floors a fairly flat boat in the back but still considered a deep v. If I have 2 people in the boat it jumps on plane nice and fast. When fishing with 4 adults and gear, We have to start to balance the weight front and rear so we can get on plane. You may find you will need to try out a few props. Likely it came with a 12 pitch or so prop. If its slow to get on plane see if you can drop a pitch or two and that should help. of course watch your rpm's and as you go down in pitch you wil lose top speed but you said that doesn't really matter.

I should mention with the 30 yamaha 2 stroke I can run 28mph alone but with 4 in the boat it really slows down alot. Weight management will be critical for you.

Edited by jedimaster

If you are stuck with the 20 and can't go anything higher than try an keep the boat as lightly loaded as possible. To be honest with a 16 footer you are going to be right on the verge of not beaing able to get up on plane with it fully loaded. Actually to be honest I would be very think if you have 4 adults with gear and battery, trolling motor you won't get plane without having to drop the prop pitch down. Going from one 16 to another if I was stuck with the motor I would try and get the boat with the flatest bottom. This should in theory put less boat in the water and help you get on plane when loaded. however the downside of a flatter bottom is of course a rougher ride when in choppy conditions. If you are doing smaller lakes and rivers, what about a 16 foot Vbottom john or duck boat? They will plane out a little easier. Ar eyou planning on loading up with people etc?

For example. Mine is a 16 foot Lund with deck front and rear fand floors a fairly flat boat in the back but still considered a deep v. If I have 2 people in the boat it jumps on plane nice and fast. When fishing with 4 adults and gear, We have to start to balance the weight front and rear so we can get on plane. You may find you will need to try out a few props. Likely it came with a 12 pitch or so prop. If its slow to get on plane see if you can drop a pitch or two and that should help. of course watch your rpm's and as you go down in pitch you wil lose top speed but you said that doesn't really matter.

I should mention with the 30 yamaha 2 stroke I can run 28mph alone but with 4 in the boat it really slows down alot. Weight management will be critical for you.

Yeah we usually have a light load, never more than 2 or 3 people MAX on rare occasions, its too bad because the 20 would have been perfect on the initial boat I ordered, but since it won't be here in time its led me to shopping around again considering the price difference between the fury's and fishermans compared to mine would end up equaling about the same after having to spend money on gas,hotel,food to come pick it up rather than just pick it up on my way home.

why dont you ask the dealer to deliver to Timmins - after all, they are late on delivery. If i hasnt left the factory yet, mMaybe you can figure something out with them, maybe a few extra bucks, maybe not. Either way, as the water up there is still hard, it aint like you will loose boat time waiting for the delivery.

Is it a brand new 20hp?

If so see if u can trade it in with the dealer and get a boat/motor/trailer package before you move

As others have said your underpowered with a 20

Maybe consider a 14 footer the 20 would be great on a 14 footer

Is it a brand new 20hp?

If so see if u can trade it in with the dealer and get a boat/motor/trailer package before you move

As others have said your underpowered with a 20

Maybe consider a 14 footer the 20 would be great on a 14 footer

Well if I went with the lund fury or alumacraft fisherman I would more than likely get the 14 foot model considering it has roughly the same beam width as the one I had ordered just these ones have the raised deck,livewell asll that stuff. As for spincast I might ask them that but would they deliver an alumacraft boat somewhere, where there is no alumacraft dealership? (theres none in timmins) The motor I bought was slightly used 2011 20hp 4 stroke merc with very low hours.

Go for the max hp rating for the boat, less than that you will be disappointed.

not necessarily,

I've got a 16, deep V, rated for a 40 hp max, it's got a 30hp triple 2 stroke and runs like a scared rabbit, it jumps straight up out of the hole

If you're going to keep the 20 don't get a boat with casting decks and the like.

Get yourself a 14'-16' utility boat like you were originally planning on.

Plenty of other options out there. ;)

Chances are I would probably upgrade the following summer (the engine) but I am wondering if it would be tolerable for a summer pretty much? Just on a bit of a budget because I am still a student and have to have some saved up aside for when I return to school in the fall.

not necessarily,

I've got a 16, deep V, rated for a 40 hp max, it's got a 30hp triple 2 stroke and runs like a scared rabbit, it jumps straight up out of the hole

Same with me chris, mine is rated for a 40, I run a 30hp triple yammy. Its up on plane in short order.So much so i am going to be teting a higher pitched prop for when I am loaded light.

As for the 20, it will no doubt push the boat. If its real bad like I said just get a lower pitched prop and upgrade the motor when you can. I would get the boat you want and then plan on upgrading the motor later. The only other good option is to buy a boat more suited to the 20hp like a 14 foot utility. Then sell the package later.

It might do for a summer but I would bet you try to upgrade before the fall.

My 18' Fisher SV18-GT weighs in @ 900#'s dry and does mid 30's with a 90hp 2 stroke.

I would bet your 500-600# boat would do mid to high teens.

I spent many years driving under powered boats @ a lodge in the far north and was lucky to get over 18 mph with 3 people and gear in a 17' Lund.

FYI that was with a 30hp OB.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

It might do for a summer but I would bet you try to upgrade before the fall.

My 18' Fisher SV18-GT weighs in @ 900#'s dry and does mid 30's with a 90hp 2 stroke.

I would bet your 500-600# boat would do mid to high teens.

I spent many years driving under powered boats @ a lodge in the far north and was lucky to get over 18 mph with 3 people and gear in a 17' Lund.

FYI that was with a 30hp OB.

Which is fine by me as long as it planes out, I mentioned earlier that I am out on my own quite a bit sometimes 2 ppl and rarely with 3, we usually never have much gear so it would just be gas, 1 battery, rods plus our tackle. The boat I am looking at now the alumacraft fisherman 145 is 14 ft 10 inches long and has a 73 inch beam.

I've a 14.5' tiller with casting deck, livewell etc. which i'd estimate is around 500-600lbs and a 40 4-stroke -- it runs like a r a p e d ape. It ran great with a 30 4str as well. Although I did gain top end with the 40, the biggest difference I notice is the ease of getting up on plane when fully loaded and how little throttle I need to use to maintain cruising / plane. The 30 was more than adequare, the 40 is the cats meow. I suspect the 20 would be just ok with a light load and you'll likely be runnin full throttle but anymore than 2 reasonably sized adults and you will be struggling.

Edited by Raf

I've a 14.5' tiller with casting deck, livewell etc. which i'd estimate is around 500-600lbs and a 40 4-stroke -- it runs like a r a p e d ape. It ran great with a 30 4str as well. Although I did gain top end with the 40, the biggest difference I notice is the ease of getting up on plane when fully loaded. I suspect the 20 would be just ok with a light load and you'll likely be runnin full throttle but anymore than 2 reasonably sized adults and you will be struggling.

So you think it would be alright then? Im estimating between everything including motor,gear,myself and my buddy we would be running around 1100 lbs

I would not want to be out on the great lakes in that rig if I had to make a run to shore but I would say on smaller puddles it may be ok but just barely. You will want either less boat or more motor after a season.