Fishing electronics retailer in Canada?

BillM

Hey guys, looking at upgrading the electronics on the boat. Specifically looking at the Humminbird 898c HD SI to go along with the I-Pilot Link equipped Terrova I just picked up.. From what I've seen, I'll be dropping close to $400 more to purchase the same unit up here as I will in the US. I'm all for supporting Canadian vendors, but not to the tune of an extra $400 out of my pocket. I've been looking around for the past few weeks and it looks like I can get the unit I'm after for just under $1300 US. If anyone can give me some suggestions on some Canadian retailers I should check out, I'd really appreciate it.

Radio World is a great option for fishing electronics!

$1500 + tax.. That's the first place I checked because I bought my trolling motor from them... The killer here is the extra 13% on top... I'm not expecting a retailer here to lose $$$ on the deal.

I'll give a Jos a ring as well, thanks fellas. Like I said, I'd much rather buy it on this side of the border.

Edited by BillM

Hey guys, looking at upgrading the electronics on the boat. Specifically looking at the Humminbird 898c HD SI to go along with the I-Pilot Link equipped Terrova I just picked up.. From what I've seen, I'll be dropping close to $400 more to purchase the same unit up here as I will in the US. I'm all for supporting Canadian vendors, but not to the tune of an extra $400 out of my pocket. I've been looking around for the past few weeks and it looks like I can get the unit I'm after for just under $1300 US. If anyone can give me some suggestions on some Canadian retailers I should check out, I'd really appreciate it.

Supporting Canadian retailers is a nice thought but in the end its' what comes out of your pocket that matters especially considering we are beaten nearly to death by taxes. Good luck.

The best places in Ontario have been mentioned already.

How do you plan to get around the 13% when you hit the border or when you have it shipped up? Also state sales tax is in play sometimes too. Online deals out of the US often turn out to be not so sweet sometimes....just a heads up!

RJ

The best places in Ontario have been mentioned already.

How do you plan to get around the 13% when you hit the border or when you have it shipped up? Also state sales tax is in play sometimes too. Online deals out of the US often turn out to be not so sweet sometimes....just a heads up!

RJ

I've bought a few high ticket items in the US, no real big surprises when getting to the border. For some stuff it's not worth it (Minn Kotas for example) but unfortunately the prices down there for sonar units is quite a bit lower then what you'll find up here. I'll see what a Canadian retailer can swing for me, if they can't then I'll just grab it in the US..

Bill,give Radio World a whirl. Just tell them the facts. You may get it. Then again,maybe not. I dont know what their price margine is,,but Im sure if they can swing it,they will.

Oh ya,do it in person.

Edited by Misfish

Something to consider that I've learned...

In december I started working part time for a Canada Post Contractor - part of which involves delivering packages. It seems customs is targeting anything with declared value over 100.00 and charging 9.95 for "customs clearance" plus HST on the shipment value. Why do I know this - because I have to collect it at time of delivery! You'd think people would be ready for this but NO! Most of the time they take it out on me with comments like "this never happened before" or " I thought I paid everything on line!". Just a heads up that you should plan on paying the 13% plus 9.95 for (minimum - additional tarriffs are charged on some items I've noticed) for anything you order outside canada now. Oh - and please don't take it out on the driver - we're just doing a job! If you don't pay - the package goes back to customs marked "disputed" and your charge card still has the purchase on it.

Michael

Think that may be more product related Wayne - I took 2 packages to our local "famous" tackle services guy and he got dinged 9.95 plus hst for rod/reel parts on each of them, while another package to a manufacturer containing "machined parts" was the 9.95 plus 5%. On a personal note - product I brought in from the states for resale when I was still in the 400 market all got charged the 13% even though consigned to my business. In short, as always, no consistency!

Michael

Yah it's a crap shoot.. my last shipment of parts, that I just received, was again only dinged for 5%, but the buggers in the Mississagua Customs facility kicked it around the warehouse from March 9th to April 4th costing me a customer that I promised finished goods for by March 30th. I thought maybe they thought my import was gun parts based on shape, but they didn't even open the box!

I have spent roughly $700 purchasing items from ebay in the last 12 months and have only been hit with a customs/HST charge only three times. Even with the shipping charges I have found that at the very least I save the taxes but usually more. I'm just lucky i guess.

If I do buy in the US, I won't be getting it shipped to Canada. It will be shipped to NY and I'll bring it over myself. I'll definitely get dinged with duty/tax if I shipped a $1300 sonar here. Then there's no point, I should just buy it here. All my savings would go down the drain..

I just dropped quite a bit of money at Radioworld, maybe they'll swing me a deal on the Humminbird... I guess the only thing they could say is no :)

It might not be the retailer's in Canada that are charging more... Some companies have Canada in a high priced zone and so even if a retailer wanted to price match the States they are unable to do so because of how much they have to pay the importer. Shimano lost my business forever because this used to be their business practice for YEARS and YEARS. Once I verified that I switched to a company would sell to Canadian businesses for the same price as US businesses, even less when the Canadian dollar was above par. I haven't looked back since.

As for duty/taxes I have yet to find a hard and fast rule except to plan on paying it because you just never know if the person running the scanner at customs had a wife who treated him right before work that day or not..... Although BPS and Cabelas are always delivered to my door for the price I paid at checkout.

I just picked up that same unit at Bass Pro yesterday, only because I had about 300 bucks saved up on Bass Pro gift cards and Bass Pro matched Radio Worlds price.

So you basically saved $100 on the unit after removing the tax. Not a bad deal at all. I need some more BPS giftcards! :)