A painting of my fishing hole - Updated with Pic

NAW

My grand parents are at the stage of their life where it's time to move in to a retirement home.

I was asked by my aunts to come down and look through what was left of my grandparents stuff. Anything with nostalgic value was mine to take. Surprisingly, when I asked about the painting on the wall, nobody wanted it.

It was a painting done a long long time ago by an old family friend, now passed away (I believe). The painting is of a place I used to fish every day when I was staying with my grandparents at the cottage. It's a place I will bring my son many many times in the coming years.

Big Ugli has some memories of this place I am sure. And maybe one or two other people here.

IMG_1138_zpsf0658b09.jpg

In fact, that is where I hope to land team 1 a catfish one night camping this summer.

Edit... Those pines across the river are big old beat up pine trees now. I'll go take a picture next time I'm there and update this post.

UPDATE!

I stopped by last weekend and snapped a quick pic. I didn't have a picture of the painting, so i couldn't get the exact angle... And the season is different. But it's still cool to see!

IMG_0286_zpsb8866ae3.jpg

Edited by N.A.W

I have one of those to.

All the same circumstances only now you cant camp there its all private land.

Forks of the Credit and I also have a charcole work of the old train station before it was an icecream store.

Its a cool story my Great Grandfather worked on building Maple leaf gardens .When the builder ran out of monney they paid tradesmen with lots along the forks of the credit.

I miss going there saying hi to Great Gramma going fishing and coming back to great food and helping out around the cottage Ahh the good old days...

Don.

Something like that would quickly find a place in my home as well. Great stuff Nick! Enjoy the memories

Now I just need to convince my wife to take down the stupid painting of a flower pot in our kitchen....... Replace it with this painting which actually means something to me.

My Grandfather on the other side of the family is a painter. I have 4 paintings of his up. This will be a nice addition to my growing collection of custom paintings.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Now I just need to convince my wife to take down the stupid painting of a flower pot in our kitchen....... Replace it with this painting which actually means something to me.

My Grandfather on the other side of the family is a painter. I have 4 paintings of his up. This will be a nice addition to my growing collection of custom paintings.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

I'm sure the flower pot picture would look nice in the bathroom or any closet in the house.... :whistling::D The new painting is quite nice Nick. :good: I like it as well.

I'm sure the flower pot picture would look nice in the bathroom or any closet in the house.... :whistling::D

I think I can find room for the flower pot painting somewhere in my unfinished basement. Beside the canvas blaze orange sun set painting that SHE made me take down!!

Painting - heck no!

Photography - a little.

The painting was in the early fall. So I'm going back at the same time to get the identical shot.

So you'll have to wait a few months!

I'll update this thread with the picture. And hopefully a few fishing pics too.!

That's quite a good quality painting---an excellent choice of subject, too. Isn't there a dam where the Severn flows into Pretty Channel, and a rapid where it outflows into Six Mile?

The rapids flow from Pretty Channel into Lost Channel, then 6 Mile flows out into Gloucester Pool via White's Falls ( we used to body surf it in the day) and a little known place called the jacuzzi hole

That's quite a good quality painting---an excellent choice of subject, too. Isn't there a dam where the Severn flows into Pretty Channel, and a rapid where it outflows into Six Mile?

You got it. There are rapids in this particular spot in the spring, and after a big rain fall. But during the autumn months it slows down a lot.

And Bruce, the whirlpool is a great spot to suck back a few pops with the old lady! And it's a really nice walk along the river too!

• 1 month later...

That's the place.

not sure where pretty channel is but from the snap shot to me it looks like a spot I use to fish on six mile. If so there is a waterfall up more and a couple little docks on either side of the outflow,it was part of the PP and had a campsite on one side. Good fishing there.

Anyone notice the natural erosion of the rock on the foreground. In the painting, there is a little sappling growing there, but the crack is small. The photo shows the ice had forced the little crack into a big fissure.

How old is that painting?

I don't know the exact age of the painting. But I will look to see if I can find a date on it anywhere.

The angles are not quite right on the photo to the painting. I am going to go back in the fall and get an exact shot... But yes, that crack has opened up a lot!

not sure where pretty channel is but from the snap shot to me it looks like a spot I use to fish on six mile. If so there is a waterfall up more and a couple little docks on either side of the outflow,it was part of the PP and had a campsite on one side. Good fishing there.

The area has really fallen apart to he honest with you. The campsites are not maintained by the PP. They are full of broken glass and garbage. There are people there every weekend. And the fishing has gone down hill drastically in the last 10 - 15 years. I have been skunked the last 5 times I was there.

The docks where removed at least 15 years ago. Last year someone left a sunken boat sitting at one of the prime docking spots....

It's sad really.

But it's still one of my favorite spots to go anchor and swim.