Last Debate - Smokercraft Pro 162 XL vs. Alumacraft Competitor 165 Sport

Rizzo

It's called product placement Steve (Brunswick corporate buy out and positioning to say the least).. If Yamaha could build a better boat then the G3.. they'd get there! Both great motors... the GMC./ Ford / Chrysler debate never serves any good...

I had a 4 HP Merc when I was a kid of 6 years old.. it still runs (hate to say 45 years later)! 9.8 Merc in the boat house... beaten as a rental, came with the camp and still runs. My 275 Verado hasn't skipped a beat nor has the 9.9 pro kicker in 6 years. Same deal with my Honda 25... probably the same deal with your Yamaha. They all have horror stories, most caused by the owner.. not the brand.

Hurry up and order it already. Get it rigged in time for musky opener and we want pics of the nice beautiful slime making a mess of your shiny new boat. You will not regret going with the bigger motor. Alumacraft makes a nice hull with nice layouts. Good luck with it.

thanks so much everyone. Looks like I will go with the aluma as it seems to be the choice of the majority. Looks like I'll even splurge and do the 90 (even though I said I wouldn't). I just hated the idea of possibly being underpowered. Scraped up a few more $ and lets do it right, without regrets

Congratulations!!!! Enjoy.

Moxie that opti would be slightly better on gas than a yammie 90 4 stroke, is lighter and would have better excelleration. Merc sells 10 engines for every yammie sold so its fair to say optis are a pretty good engine.

I hear ya Dave but I just hold Merc to the same level as I do GM and it ain't one of esteem. Its' personal.

hirk, you know, as well as I do, why merc sells that many more motors than yammy.

and it has nothing to do with quality.

X2.

It's called product placement Steve (Brunswick corporate buy out and positioning to say the least).. If Yamaha could build a better boat then the G3.. they'd get there! Both great motors... the GMC./ Ford / Chrysler debate never serves any good...

I had a 4 HP Merc when I was a kid of 6 years old.. it still runs (hate to say 45 years later)! 9.8 Merc in the boat house... beaten as a rental, came with the camp and still runs. My 275 Verado hasn't skipped a beat nor has the 9.9 pro kicker in 6 years. Same deal with my Honda 25... probably the same deal with your Yamaha. They all have horror stories, most caused by the owner.. not the brand.

Agreed there are good and bad in every batch but I have always admired the Japanese for making it that much better.

stop making me look!! I already bought so don't give me buyers remorse (nice electronics on that kijiji one!)...and there were no colour choices, Bay City only had the one left (black)

I'm jealous. Hope it sees a lot of slime.

Guys I wasnt trying to imply that mercs are better than yammies therefore they sell more only that they make a good product. The perception that yammies are more reliable and "better" would not likely be proved out if you could compare defects per 1000 units to compare apples to apples. Yes you hear of fewer problems with the yammies but thats to be expected given there are far more mercs in service. I would guess they all would rate close for defect rates and that there is little if any difference between various brands in reliability. They all make a good product and they all blow up.

I sure do.I have owned 10 of them now over 40 years.I had a impeller fail on a 86 30 in 2001 and a mci failure on 86 2.4l in 92.

A 2.4l threw a lower bearing in 86.but that was do to using a Sunoco fuel at the time which was to heavy in detergent braking down the oil.

Also blew up the 2.5l.It was heavilly modiffied. A fuel line broke off the bottom left carb at 80mph.Nothing too do with Merc.

i owned 2 9.9`s.a 30.a 75.115 tower of power.a 150 tower of power. 2 200``s, 2 2.4 litres and 1 2.5l

Also have owned a 70 stinger.a 90 stinger,stones.A 125 rude.