Trailer Light/Wiring Troubleshooting

ADB

My buddy had a trailer hitch installed on his car a couple years ago. From the beginning the lights never worked on our old trailer. When hooked up, even the car lights would not work. Even the indicators inside the car wouldnt blink. He brought his car to the place he had the hitch installed. They tested it and said it worked fine...even showed us the tester box that blinked when he signalled, braked, etc. We figured it was a compatibility issue between his car and the old trailer as the lights always worked fine on my car.

Well now he bought a brand new boat and trailer and he's having the same issue. Its obviously the hitch wiring and the place he bought it wasn't any help.

Anyone here have any ideas...a concrete issue that we can bring the original mechanic to have them fix?

Thanks a lot.

Alex

What is it doing exactly? Do the vehicles lights all work properly without the trailer being hitched? How about with the trailer hitched? Is it all lights or just some lights? Do the trailer lights work when hitched to another vehicle?

Well yeah, all of the car lights work without the trailer hooked up.

The signals and break lights don't work when it is hooked up. On the car and the trailer.

Haven't tried the new trailer on another car yet.

What type of vehicle? Does it have signal lights separate from the brake lights? Usually yellow....

Sounds like a bad install to me.

Mitsubishi Outlander.

Not my car, but I think the signal and brake are together.

Edited by ADB

What kind of tow vehicle ? sounds like you need a 5 to 4 pin converter , if I remember correctly Powerflow makes one for about 20$.

*** edit , Outlander .

I'd say yep on the converter ..

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

Big thanks to Paul...went by his place this morning.

Although we didn't have enough time to fix the issue, Paul figured out it isn't the trailer and it isn't the car itself. Possibly a pinched wire on the hitch.

Paul said its not a converter as the hitch and trailer are both 4 pins.

Edited by ADB

Trace the wires back inside the car, and you will find a little black box in the harness. That box was. The problem I had, twice, and one was brand new. I nearly pulled my hair out trying to figure it out.

I have a buddy who. Also had the same problem.

S.

Are there LED lights on the trailer? And is the ground running through the plug or through the hitch?

Big thanks to Paul...went by his place this morning.

Although we didn't have enough time to fix the issue, Paul figured out it isn't the trailer and it isn't the car itself. Possibly a pinched wire on the hitch.

Paul said its not a converter as the hitch and trailer are both 4 pins.

Trace the wires back inside the car, and you will find a little black box in the harness. That box was. The problem I had, twice, and one was brand new. I nearly pulled my hair out trying to figure it out.

I have a buddy who. Also had the same problem.

S.

Thanks, Sinker...I'll let my buddy know.

Are there LED lights on the trailer? And is the ground running through the plug or through the hitch?

Not sure about that...will check and get back to you.

Edited by ADB

90% of trailer light issues are "Bad Grounds"

yes and it`s the other 10% that will drive you crazy...I had a issue last year and spent countless hours trying to figure it out, finally I just drove it to Leatherdale marine and told them to call me when it`s fixed.

Cost me 60 bucks, best 60 bucks I ever spent!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for their help, especially Tybo. It ended up being the wrong converter. When we lifted the car up, the wiring was done pretty poorly overall so my buddy had it redone at King City Trailers for $150.

Edited by ADB