Upgrading older trolling motor - worth it?

MSBruno

Purchased my boat with an older MG ProSeries 56lb and am always wanting more out of it. I can't go 24V and was wondering if it would be worth my $ upgrading to a newer 12V trolling motor. My issue is that the highest lb thrust 12V is similar to what i already have. I also have upgraded my battery to ensure I have the best 12V system for the trolling motor.

Worth it?

You may possibly get more life out of your battery with a newer model? But if you are not draining your battery on trips now, then I see no real advantage to getting a new model. And yes I beleive 55lbs is about the most you can get out of 12v.

Why can't u go 24v?

Is it just lack of power, or battery life you need?

I've never like MG trolling motors. Had a couple, and they don't compare to a minn kota IMO.

I run a 12v set up with 2 batts on my 16fter, and could use more power on some windy days, but for the most part I'm happy.

What size boat are we talking here?

S.

Why can't u go 24v?

I've never like MG trolling motors. Had a couple, and they don't compare to a minn kota IMO.

S.

X2

My buddies always complained about my Motorguide (12v) when fishing with me (noisy). Never seem to bother me or the fish so I never worried about it. When it died 2 summers ago I upgraded to a 24V Minnkota and was wondering why I didn't do that when I bought the boat. I'd never go back to a Motorguide given the difference in how quiet the Minnkota is in comparison. The other big difference is that the Minnkota eats through the weeds (at any speed it seems) where the Motorguide liked to collect them. I was a big fan of the maximizer in my old transom mount and happy to have that in my new motor as well.

So to go from a 12V to a 12V, I'd say stay with what your have until it is time to replace. Not worth it IMO. I just wish I had put the 24V system on my boat to begin with.

Edit - Having said that - a couple of my buds went from Motorguide to Minnkota 12V systems and were glad they did just for eating through the weeds.

Edited by fishnsled

gonna be tough for both requirements with what you have, there currently isn't ant TM from motorguide or minn-kotta over 55-6 lb with a 12 vts system.

what I would suggest is having a couple props for the motor, a 3 bladed machete prop will give you the speed and they have a smaller diameter 4 blade for chopping up the weeds.

Some advice i can give you is to sharpen the leading edges of your current prop, you won't believe the difference a sharp plastic prop can make in chewing through weeds and trust me i take my boat place other's just won't follow.

old t.m on my ranger was a MG I liked it it worked well enough and was a little on the noisy side after bouncing it off a dock i replaced it with a maxxum minn kota, quiet decent power cuts through weeds good amazing battery life, downfalls, lost 2mph top end motor way heavier than motorguide and have had some electrical issues like failed armature and burned brushes. overall though good motor.

on another of my partners Rangers' we put a newer motorguide digital on it 84lb er, new one's really work nice, it's light no need for lift assist gimmicks, great battery life, and one of the things motorguides were known of old for were overheating/shorting out circuit boards when they were in the foot pedal, electronics now housed in lower unit greatly increasing it's life.

In the end it will really be up to you which brand you choose i wouldn't hesitate on either after spending timie with both major brands

The two motor guides I've had sucked balls in weeds. They would just attract them. Constantly lifting it out to clear it of weeds. I hated them both.

I don't think I've ever had weeds around the prop of my minn kota's. They will gather on the shaft, but the prop spins them off like they're not even there.

I think you will notice a big difference between brands, especially if your MG is a few years old.

I upgraded last year from a 12 volt 55 lb thrust MK to a 24 volt 80 lb thrust MK (Terrova). Amazing difference with power to spare (17.5 ft crestliner). If there's any way you can get up to the 24 volt system I would highly recommend it. You would have all the power you needed then for those windy days or weedy bays.

The two motor guides I've had sucked balls in weeds. They would just attract them. Constantly lifting it out to clear it of weeds. I hated them both.

I don't think I've ever had weeds around the prop of my minn kota's. They will gather on the shaft, but the prop spins them off like they're not even there.

I think you will notice a big difference between brands, especially if your MG is a few years old.

the two bow mounts i had worked ok both 56lb replaced due to age have a 28lb transom that leaves something to be desired mind you.

my maxxum always get's tangled up with weeds even with the weedless prop but so did the mg which prop you running on the mk most likely the difference think i have a weedless wedge should update to ww2

The trolling motors ability to go through weeds is based on the prop design, not the motor that's spinning it. I think MK has a better weed prop than MG. I've got a 105lb 36V MG with the 3 blade machete and its lousy in some weed types. It's awesome though for powering along in deeper, weed free water such as Erie where I fish most of the time. I know someone who modified the two blade MK to fit his MG...another option.

As far as the 12V upgrade goes, find a spot for another battery. The power difference and battery life will shock you.

Ya, bottom line is you need to find room for that second battery. Even two smaller batteries will make a big improvement. I can't wait for my TM to crap out so I can upgrade to a 24V. I already have the two batteries on board, but can't justify the cost of a new TM, when mine works great 99% of the time. I might have to look into a different prop for mine to get more speed, most of my fishing is open water trolling, and I'm running a weedless wedge on mine.

My electric will get me up to about 2.1mph, and my main will only run as low as 2.5mph, so there is a little spot in there that Im missing out on, that I need some days :)

S.

I can't believe that a 56lb motor is not enough for a 15 foot bass boat. When I boat my 19 foot deep V lund it came with a 45lbs thrust minn and it did not do well in the wind but managed to pull my baot around quite well. I now have a 70lb 24v and it works very well for my boat. I was thinking maybe you need a new battery?

when I bought my boat (16.5' Starcraft) it had an old MG 42 thrust cable steer bow mount on it. It sucked! I upgraded to a new MG wireless 55 thrust and love it. No problems with weeds as long as I am around the 4th or 5th speed setting. I have room for 24v system and actually the boat is designed for one but I cheaped out. One thing I am doing this spring is upgrading the shaft from 42" to 60" to keep the power head in the water with Nipisssing's big rollers.