Anyone here boiling sap?

Sinker

Yep, boil it outside, get it close to done, then finish it inside.

I'd tap more trees but I dont have the means to boil it all. I have over 100 trees on my 2 acres. I keep saying next year i'll invest in a better set up, but it never seems to happen. To be honest, my 25 taps is enough. I just enjoy the process, the time outdoors, and hangin out with friends and family. Its also a great excuse to tip a few back LOL

S.

If anyone in the Kawartha region is interested in a fun day for the family, where you can watch maple syrup being made among other things, this is a great way to spend a few hours.

I was there a couple years back and it makes for a good family time.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmcleanberryfarm.com%2Fhtml%2Fmaplefest.html&ei=vBYiU774A-mY2wWE6YDgAw&usg=AFQjCNGqdGuwTJaV4itwfetMS9yqX1pjfQ

That sounds about right if you go by the 40:1 standard ratio. With my set up, I'm getting one 500ml mason jar for each 5 gal pail.

You can't really do anything wrong. Colour will vary. Each of my batches have been different. I did 2 litres last night that were much lighter than the previous batches I did.

It will go quicker if you preheat a pot full instead of adding cold sap to your already boiling pot.

S.

What a wonderful thread this is-NO haven't read it all yet-but i will

Love to try this--make OK Home Beer Brew-just the brother-in-law complains but he complains about everything-lol

Have a good weekend All

Play Safe

Have Fun

Paul

We run a small operation here too just 50 trees.Its fun... family comes over drinks my beer....watch the sap boil then leave with free maple syrup lol

Gotta love it

Great video T.J

Very funny!!!! :clapping: Sounds like most Northern Ontario families! :tease:

Dan O.

last year was my first year doing it and i started fairly late ...but i havent noticed a difference in taste...both yummy...especially while it hot! i still have fifteen gallons of sap to boil yet...i brought ten gallons home to get some incentive to keep going...so far 25 gallons have flowed from the 30 trees i tapped

Edited by Twocoda

I collected 35l of sap on tuesday.....looks like its going to be a while before we get another decent run, so I'm going to boil it tonight. Might get a litre if I'm lucky.

S.

I ended up with almost a litre jar full. Really dark though, I usually get really light syrup first. Even the sap had a bit of a yellowish tinge to it. Tastes great though!!

The 35l I have collected now is clear....

S.

Buckets, but im almost out of them.. I just ordered some taps and tube. I think anywhere where i can run three or more taps on the same tree stand Im gonna switch over to taps running into a water jug, so i can move those buckets to singular trees down the road.. id really like to get my 300 this year.

How do you keep track of all those buckets? You have a numbering system or some other way to keep a count?

I need an evaporator. I could run my whole place on lines, gravity fed, so easy. 100 trees no problem.

Im gonna have to break the bank and get 'er done one of these days.

S.

I tap 10 spickets at a time and write down how many i use. LOL.. Ive lived here for 30 years.. I know them all personally. Im very interested to see how the tubing, on a limited scale, will work for me.

Had breakfast at my buds place the other morning that put on a meal every day in the month of march. He taps 10,000 taps on vac. He says its been really slow. His dad said to me the years we don't get a jan thaw are usually the slowest years....also said that sugar content in the sap was lower than previous year starts.

Edited by lakerguy