MNR playing tricks on Simcoe today!

NAW

Stop and talk to them some time... you may just find out the current hot spot from them! Nothing to hide.. nothing to lose.. we even share our water and pop with them on Temagami to keep a good rapport going. Then a few days later, when they go by again and see the same collection of portables they just wave and motor on by.. unless of course they want to see the next monster we've caught. Year after year they stop to ask what we have saved on our cameras.

Right I agree with you, up in Timmins I get along with one of them, but maybe its because I'm young 21 years old that they always suspect were up to no good or they question us a lot more I have nothing against them I just feel its inconvenient sometimes and once in a while when they check it always seems that they question us young people more.

but maybe its because I'm young 21 years old that they always suspect were up to no good or they question us a lot more

What a crock full that is.. You really believe that???????????

I get drilled more when hunting,then I do fishing. And Im 48.I never take offence. It,s their job to ask questions.

What a crock full that is.. You really believe that???????????

I get drilled more when hunting,then I do fishing. And Im 48.I never take offence. It,s their job to ask questions.

Yeah, I get them when I'm hunting too although its not often. Its not a crock, when they have their checkpoints on the highway outside of Timmins once in a while were always getting held up longer than other people. Maybe its because they expect us to slip up? even though we are always legal. Like I said I have no problem with them just can get annoying when they try to make you slip up even though we are always legal.

We seen 5 CO's on sat and we had our limit of whities. They asked if we would mind if they had their dog find them packed away in our gear .. It was neat to see the dog find them. On sunday we seen a couple of the same CO's in the same spot and they were laughing as a quad with guys with no helmets were driving past us. I bet those guys werent laughing when they got nailed... I know I sure was !

Edited by richyb

Yes the CO's where given the power to lay liquor offences charges a few years back. We never have booze on the ice.. but asked them outright last year what their thoughts were... and the CO and OPP both told us they considered a beer in a hut no different than a beer in a tent on the crown shore in the summer (and they can't lay a charge for that). Of course getting silly... and then driving your sled would have the same consequences as driving your boat!

We were visited and issued a couple of "drink tickets" this past weekend up north in Muskoka. Definitely not a rowdy bunch, just quietly fishing. Weird how the OPP has different variations of their tolerances on the ice. We specifically asked them how they deal with the different scenarios. Apparently they allow alcohol in the hard huts, but since we had soft huts, it was a different case and considered “in public”. Super nice guys, they were just out doing their job. But it was a surprise to hear because I know guys have received tickets in the hard huts.

The C.O.s had a dog with them on Nipissing this weekend. My buddy said it was funny to see the dog in a sleigh. Dog never even got out. Now.....what would they be trained to find on Nipissing? Slot sized fish? lol.

Edited by Nipfisher

The C.O.s had a dog with thme on Nipissing this weekend. My buddy said it was funny to see the dog in a sleigh. Dog never even got out. Now.....what would they be trained to find on Nipissing? Slot sized fish? lol.

I guess you didn't read the thread. :)

Well if that's the case Irish I'm

Headin up your way and toe kickin some minnows around the hut lol. Just so I don't get myself in trouble they allow a few beer in "hard huts" but not the portable units?? I know the difference between the two, but really what is the difference? I'm asking because yeah I do bring a few refreshments out, and have talked to CO's with beer in plain view and have never been bothered. This was in a rental wooden hard hut if that's what there considered. I don't get pissy with those guys and actually have never come actoss a prick. I realize they've got their job to do and I've never had a single issue. I've been stopped oh probably 7-8 times in my life...fishing only. Here I'm rambling, but can some one clearly give me a answer to the hard hut thingie please.

Yes, MNR dogs are trained to sniff out specific species of fish and game.

They can tell the difference between the smell of a whitefish or a laker easily.

Saw a very impressive display of what an MNR canine can do a couple of years ago.

Each dog is trained to search for several scents, but if the officer suspects foul play for something his/her dog isn't trained to search for, they will call in another canine unit who is. No escape.

Nice to hear they're getting out there. Wish we had more of them.

I'm glad to hear that they are really gettin out there and searching some of these guys , it can really be a zoo out there sometimes . On a side note I was fishing Lake Rousseau a couple years ago in a small back bay when I caught a pike , I quickly released it and continued to fish . Then with out notice this old beat up bowrider (and I mean old) came putting into the bay and pulled up beside me , well guess what it was CO asking me hows the fishing and if I had a license . He also said he was watching me and pointed to the front of the boat to his tripod scope and was waiting for me to start fishing before he made the journey across the lake from his hiding spot ! Of course everything was good and the pleasent CO continued on his way .

Google to Liquor Licence Act of Ontario. You can only consume alcohol in a residence, private place or premise with a permit. Definitions of residence and private place are also there. A fish hut ( clam type) does not fall into any of those areas, however an ice bungalow with sleeping, cooking and bathroom facilities does.....What it all comes down to guys is that law enforcment officers have DISCRETION. One officer may hammer the fisherman having the odd beer where the as the other officer maybe give a warning. Its a risk we take when having the odd beer on the ice.

Google to Liquor Licence Act of Ontario. You can only consume alcohol in a residence, private place or premise with a permit. Definitions of residence and private place are also there. A fish hut ( clam type) does not fall into any of those areas, however an ice bungalow with sleeping, cooking and bathroom facilities does.....What it all comes down to guys is that law enforcment officers have DISCRETION. One officer may hammer the fisherman having the odd beer where the as the other officer maybe give a warning. Its a risk we take when having the odd beer on the ice.

Well that's good to know ,if you have a beverage,be nice is your best friend.