Annual Nip Trip - With Great OFC friends.

NAW

Every year for the past three years, Nipfisher has been kind enough to let me spend a night in his heated hut in Nipissing.

The usual three fine OFC'ers, Nipfisher, Rod Caster, and Joeyteir always enjoying getting out with us southern boys. Showing us what a windchill is all about. A decent walleye bite too!

I'll let the picture to the talking, cuz I gotta go cook dinner.

Some of the guys are out jigging up the evening bite as I type. Might have some pics to post when they get in.

Arriving on 24" of solid ice.

IMG_0580_zpscfe8d252.jpg

Livinisfishin. Fist time driving the car on the ice. There was a packed road to drive on.

IMG_0581_zps5ea0f03b.jpg

Nip's Hut

IMG_0582_zps72cfca9b.jpg

First fish of the weekend.

IMG_0583_zps6e9a4560.jpg

Nipfisher shows up and starts giving a lesson on how to ice eater walleye.

IMG_0585_zps5ed71ebc.jpg

Around 3:30 Rodcaster (and wife) and Joey took me out to a nice evening bite spot where we iced 15 walleye. 3 limits of eaters. Fish fry back at the hut. Breaded in crush BBQ chips and captain crunch!

Here's some random shots of the evening bite.

IMG_0587_zps4f9be9b3.jpg

IMG_0589_zps1410a190.jpg

IMG_0591_zpsb69a5e4c.jpg

IMG_0592_zps2cbf1551.jpg

IMG_0593_zpsaf08ad1b.jpg

IMG_0598_zps22484122.jpg

IMG_0599_zpsbcb8172d.jpg

IMG_0594_zps93ee6b49.jpg

Joey hung out with Jay and I in the hut for a while, and enjoyed the fruits of our -20 labor.

This Storm rod of Jay's really has some balls eh!

IMG_0603_zpsc8e7ba12.jpg

Next morning we drove way out in the main lake for the morning bite. But with the blue bird skies, it was tough. The perch was hitting light. And only a few eyes in the morning.

Here's a few shots of the morning bite.

IMG_0604_zps2a7499d3.jpg

IMG_0605_zps97e1db45.jpg

Chad and I left the group and tried to find a ridge. Here's a shot looking back. By this time, Jermey84 has joined us after working a night shift, and driving straight up. Crazy man!!

IMG_0606_zps0ca6c2c5.jpg

IMG_0607_zps02d4f4db.jpg

IMG_0608_zps0fbb4ac0.jpg

IMG_0610_zpsce4798b4.jpg

image_zps659aed6e.jpg

I got home, and unloaded from Jay's car, in to the box of my sled. And off to punch some holes across the road.

IMG_0612_zps3897a482.jpg

IMG_0613_zps336c7644.jpg

The other guys will be navigating their way off the lake as I type. Hopefully with an addition to this report.

I don't have time to go back and spell check this report. So sorry if it's tough to read!

Fun weekend.

Thanks very much Chad, Blair and Joey for the hospitality!

Edited by N.A.W

It was a great weekend guys! You and Jason and Jeremy are tough characters to say the least; driving all that way, depriving yourself of sleep and freezing your butts off!

As soon as you guys left, the bite picked up and we got into some ling, herring, walleye, pike and perch. Murphy's law I tell you.

Things died down again until 5, then all walleye-hell broke loose. We iced at least 30 walleye in the group by the end of the day.

How was captain-crunch coated walleye?? hahahahaha

That meal tonight looked fantastic. Cajun walleye and ribs would make one hell of a special at a steakhouse.

Here are my pics.

IMG-20130209-00065_zpsc7ff5280.jpg

IMG-20130210-00067_zps67389c8c.jpg

IMG-20130210-00068_zps6e2e00f7.jpg

IMG-20130210-00069_zps306f59bf.jpg

IMG-20130210-00070_zpse55bbbba.jpg

Jeremy bringing in a ling

IMG-20130210-00072_zps3bac45d5.jpg

IMG-20130210-00073_zps3a056453.jpg

IMG-20130210-00074_zpsa796007b.jpg

Sarah with a good 7 or 8 pound ling. Boy was she happy with this catch!!! Good job!

IMG-20130210-00075_zpse23766f0.jpg

IMG-20130210-00076_zpsf0e8d1d2.jpg

IMG-20130210-00077_zpsa396fa3a.jpg

Joey with a 19" walleye....biggest one of the weekend

IMG-20130210-00078_zpsc6208ce2.jpg

IMG-20130210-00079_zpscae8fecf.jpg

Friend with one of many walleye

IMG-20130210-00080_zps70b39f97.jpg

Jeremy immitating -40 fishing haha.

IMG-20130210-00081_zps28af5a26.jpg

Thanks once again to Rodcaster and Joey for treating my like family. You guys are the best and getting to hang out is worth the trip as much as the fishing. To all the other guys, it was a pleasure to meet you all.

The guys from Barrie, I wish you could have stuck around the rest of the day. Right before noon and right after 5pm the fishing was on fire.

I'd like to say that this was the highlight of my weekend but in truth this has been the highlight of my winter so far. Good friends, good weather and good fishing. I'll give up sleep and drive 4 hours any day of the week for that combo.

As an asside, in the last photo its making me think that hoodie purchased at the sportsman show may not have been the wisest of investments. I look like I'm in a Bazzahar trying to sell the fish to tourists. :rofl2:

Thanks once again to Rodcaster and Joey for treating my like family. You guys are the best and getting to hang out is worth the trip as much as the fishing.

As an asside, in the last photo its making me think that hoodie purchased at the sportsman show may not have been the wisest of investments. I look like I'm in a Bazzahar trying to sell the fish to tourists. :rofl2:

No problem Jer! Always a pleasure to have good company, especially from someone who enjoys fishing and being outdoors as much as us loonies. Hopefully we can do a canoe/kayak trip this summer as we discussed.

as for the last comment " you buy feesh?" haha.

We never did a proper tally of the fish we caught during weekend.

At least 20 eyes Saturday. And from what Chad was saying, another 30+ Sunday. Plus at least that many perch. A pike, 2 ling. Half a dozen Herring. What else did I miss?

That's a solid weekend no matter who you are!

No problem Jer! Always a pleasure to have good company, especially from someone who enjoys fishing and being outdoors as much as us loonies. Hopefully we can do a canoe/kayak trip this summer as we discussed.

as for the last comment " you buy feesh?" haha.

Haha I sent that pic to a buddy of mine and wrote 'You. Yesh you young man. Buy dis feesh. Eees freesh. You buy now. Very very tasty.' :rofl2:

Also, they were probably funnier because I hadn't slept in 40 hours, but when Joey was really getting the bite on that one tip up and was constantly doing wind sprints back and fourth to his truck I was chuckling to myself 'Canadian Marathon.'

Same with 'There is something wrong with this walleye.' (the one frozen solid.) Laughed about that a few times on the way home too.

Edited by jeremy84

We never did a proper tally of the fish we caught during weekend.

At least 20 eyes Saturday. And from what Chad was saying, another 30+ Sunday. Plus at least that many perch. A pike, 2 ling. Half a dozen Herring. What else did I miss?

That's a solid weekend no matter who you are!

haha yeah it's typically steady action between the yellow-bellies and the wallys to say the least. I eat rather well in the winter.

Haha I sent that pic to a buddy of mine and wrote 'You. Yesh you young man. Buy dis feesh. Eees freesh. You buy now. Very very tasty.' :rofl2:

Also, they were probably funnier because I hadn't slept in 40 hours, but when Joey was really getting the bite on that one tip up and was constantly doing wind sprints back and fourth to his truck I was chuckling to myself 'Canadian Marathon.'

Same with 'There is something wrong with this walleye.' (the one frozen solid.) Laughed about that a few times on the way home too.

Ya, took two days for that thing to thaw out hahaha. Glad you made it back without taking too many road-naps

So what is the North Bay crew up to this weekend? :whistling:

Good question. Very likely fishing (barring call outs from work). You thinking of making the trip north? You must have some good spots on this lake as well...or maybe just in summer? Let's catch some walleye!