18 ft tiller aluminum boats

fish_fishburn

yea the same boat in a console is rated for a 175 but the tiler only a 90 , I believe its because of the no Hydraulic steering on the tillers when they were rated would be an awesome boat with 150 on it

My brothers 20 foot ranger tiller has a 115 (no hydraulic steering) and in rough water your fighting pretty hard with the tiller...

Anyone getting a big tiller should strongly consider hydraulic steering like Titan....

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, just giving you an update on my experience with the dealers I have been in contact with through emails and phone calls. Its been two months since I contacted about seven dealers in total. Not one replied to the emails I sent out so I called them all by phone. four dealers had no answer so I left a message which none of then returned. The others said they didnt have pricing yet or something to that effect, but they would get back to me as soon as they got them.

Told them I was three to four hrs away by car and if I liked what I heard I would make the drive to come and see them. As of today none have replied to my calls. Am I expecting to much from these dealers? I even sent my info to each manufacturer to send me their 2013 catalogues as required on their web sites and still havent received anything from any of them. Been two months now.

One salesman I talked to asked me what I did for a living and I told him I was in sales. He said what do you sell and I told him what does it matter. Anyhow not having a very good experience buying a new boat so far.Think I will scratch these dealers off my list since they cant take a minute to try and sell me a boat, can only imagine what their service is like when trying to get something repaired.

I ran my own retail business for twenty years and would always treat a cold call as a possible sale. I guess things have changed, seems these sales people dont care unless you walk in with a hand full of cash and say I'll take that one.

I find this odd FishB as just this past couple weeks I contacted by email a Temagami and Calabogie Naden dealer, Carleton Place Marine for Lund and Rideau Ferry Marine for Alumacraft. All returned emails that day or overnight. All gave quotes by email except Calabogie, and upon having a look at the Alumacraft and Lund, both dealerships there had staff at my side willing to answer any questions.

I also have a tiller. 16.5 Rebel XL with a 60HP. It has spent time on St.Clair, Quinte, Nipigon and other big waters too... sometimes a week at a time. It's also lighter and trailers well, and launches into ditches if need be. Not sure why some others have issues with Lund, I have had no issues with mine and although it's on the road 2-4 times a week and has been trailered several times across the province, you treat it like an investment and give it regular check-ups it'll be fine.

If thinking CPMarine & Lund... I could try Shawn on your behalf. We went to school together. Or, if you didn't know this, Rideau Ferry deals Alumacraft and I was there last week eyeballin' boats too. They are the closest to you with this brand and the fella who met me at the door seemed a nice young lad.

Edited by Moosebunk

Anyone else having this type of experience?

Yep... Fall 2006.. DT Sports, Gordon Bay Marine and Bay Marine in Hamilton. All couldn't be bothered to respond to emails asking for a quote on a 2150 Baron or 1950 Tyee..... that they wouldn't even have to put in their "floor plan" and see every day in their showroom. Temagami Marine was certainly happy to get their 15 to 20% profit, for a 70k+ boat, that didn't have to be 3rd party financed and sitting in their inventory!

Edited by irishfield

If you want to see how a dealer should show boats and treat customers go to Proctor Marine in Simcoe Ontario (electronically of course). Click on "Showroom" and see a profile of every boat that they have, including the price. And I guarantee that Doug will return your email with any question.

Now, I know that this does not help a guy in Ottawa (what does? :)) but if your dealership doesn't act like this dealership, look for one that does.

Jim

Edited by Radnine

I went to a local Princecraft dealer 2 weeks ago to check out their boats and prices. The staff was nice and knowledgable. I gave him a list on what I wanted on my boat and am still waiting for a price. Think Ill pass on Princecraft because I wasnt impressed with the layout of their boats and they seemed not very interested in selling me what I wanted. Tried talking me into buying a console model. They had free stuff that came with the console model but no freebies on the same model with a tiller.

Proctor Marine gets my vote as well

Talk to Doug great salesman willing to help at all costs

Kept my boat for a week to make it get on plane better

He even took it out on the lake twice to ensure it was just right. (No cost to me)

They are carrying crestliner boats. Which are awesome

Back when we bought our boat he was selling starcrafts

I would definitely be calling him!

Edited by Luke V.

Being in sales for 35 years I understand a thing or two about customer service and I find it appalling that the dealers/salespeople treated a potential client with such disregard, in a competative business it's your customer service that sets you apart.

When I was looking I found the sales service okay the real disappointment was the amount of inventory they keep, always little or no inventory and 3 month leadtime. It was the complete opposite when I bought my trailer great service and lots of inventory to touch and feel. The boat guys could learn a thing or two from the RV guys!!!

Thanks Jim. What do they sell?

They sell the greatest boats ever made....Crestliner! You would be looking for the 1850 Pro Tiller (unless you come to your senses and buy a side console).

Good luck!

Jim

Edited by Radnine