NF darn freezing water lines

ecmilley

yup -28 this morning water was frozen again this has been an ongoing issue for me since 2003, just spent 2300 on new heat line to the lake and it still continues to freeze at -20 at the point it enters the house, can't figure out how to resolve this, you would think with a heat line running through it there shouldn't be a problem any ideas anyone?

starting to like the sounds of city water this country stuff is wearing thin

Is your heatline controlled by a thermostat?I had the same problem with my line to the lake,the area the temp probe is in is better insulated than than where the freezing took place.I had to raise the set points so the heat kicked in at higher temps.Also added more insulation.

I feel your pain :(

Sad to say, our water line has frozen as well. We were away since Monday night, came home late last night and I guess there was still enough pressure in the tank not to notice...this morning nothing. I'm just about to go down to the basement with my trusty kettle and start the process. The worst always getting the pump primed again.

Like you Ernie, This has happened here numerous times as well over the years. I always say I'm going to try to bury the line deeper in the spring and then never seem to get around to it...

Is the pipe exposed at all where it is coming into the house. When we lived in Barrie I used to work on some of the cottages in Muskoka. Some of the heat lines were thermostaticaly controlled and would not come on till the temps dropped it enough to activate the heat line. By then the water lines were already froze.

Up here the homes have a circ pump. What it does is simply continuously circulate water in the lines so they dont freeze. Now remember we are on city water and do not have a pump that has to draw water into the house but u should be able to make a loop from inside your house to the outermost side of where it is freezing, like a loop on a rollercoaster but sideways and in the ground of course. The circ pump is about the size of your fist.

Is there any insulation around the pipe as it enters the house. Maybe any exposed block on your foundation is allowing the cold air to penetrate down to where your pipe comes in. Hope this helps in some way.

Blizz

breaker's are ok, and i have the thermostat set to 8 degrees c the probe is stuffed into the garden, it has been a llittle better since building a raised flower bed ont he front of the house, it now freezes at -20 instead of -15 just can't seem to figure out how it frezzes with an active heat line.

Maybe try some spray foam around the line.

as for a recirc pump not sure how it would work foe me, it's freezing on the suction side of the pump I think i would have to do some digging on the outside to get to it

My oldman called me this morning, same thing happened at my parents place in Coldwater. Luckily all it took was a hairdryer and 5 mins.. He's tearing down the ceiling in the basement bathroom and wrapping everything with insulation.. First time it's happened to them.

We had to build an insulated box around ours to stop it from freezing. Basically just a plywood box full of foam insulation from just below ground level to below the water line. I turn the line heater on if its going to be -20 or more.

S.