Captain's Rant: Nipissing Opening Date - May Long Weekend

capt_hooked

Captain’s Rant: Nipissing Opening Date - May Long Weekend

O.K. I have been after the MNR, out of the North Bay Office to help with these changes for near 20 years now…. No help from the MNR and no help from any of the other fishing lodge operators on this lake… The last bit is probably most disappointing…!

The issue is simple: Open the May Long Weekend fishing season on the Friday instead on the Saturday.

Many of my guests wait all year long for just one special weekend of spring fishing … and 1 whole day of the 3 day weekend is robbed from them. No one is allowed any angling of any kind on Lake Nipissing prior to Saturday morning of the May Long Weekend: You cannot fish for any species, whether it is pike, walleye, perch, rock bass , white bass or even catfish – Friday is closed to ALL angling!

The MNR is worried about an early opening (1 day) affecting the spawn. Ha! The spawn is determined by water temperature, not a calendar date.

All other fishing lodge operators I have asked to suppose me on this issue… shake their heads as they do not know why I am trying to change the season by one day.. They most common response is.. “well, my guests all come up to drink crazy on Friday and really don’t give a damn if the fishing is open or not..”

That is a bad answer: I for one, am interested in running a “fishing lodge” and not a booze tank…!

But no-one in close to 20 years has stood up to support me on this idea… And you cannot blame the Ministry for not changing the regs if the fishing lodges are not behind it…

Sheesh…..!

I just got off the phone with a very disappointed party of 10 guys… whom I had to tell they could not fish on Friday…! Not good for business.

But please don’t shoot the messenger…! J

:whistling:

Seems like a win-win situation for lodge owners and clients to me Kevin, all things considered this is truly a non issue no brainer.

But then again you're dealing with the MNR....... :whistling:

I'm also pleased to hear that you'll be open for business this spring. :clapping:

Captain’s Rant: Nipissing Opening Date - May Long Weekend

The issue is simple: Open the May Long Weekend fishing season on the Friday instead on the Saturday.

Many of my guests wait all year long for just one special weekend of spring fishing … and 1 whole day of the 3 day weekend is robbed from them.

monday is the holiday not friday, so in that case no one is "robbing" your clients of a 3 day weekend.

Edited by BassAsin

You got my support Capt. I think it makes sense for the change of one day to make the kick off of a season better. I would only think it would be to late only if they have printed all of the rules and reg's by now.

I am very happy to see that the Lak Air Lodge will be up and running this year.

Art

monday is the holiday not friday, so in that case no one is "robbing" your clients of a 3 day weekend.

unfortunately Monday is the travel day for many of us. Most friends of ours as well as our group would love to be able to head up early Friday and get in a day of fishing or even late afternoon evening bite. Would have thought most lodges would support a decision like this.

Seems like a win-win situation for lodge owners and clients to me Kevin, all things considered this is truly a non issue no brainer.

But then again you're dealing with the MNR....... :whistling:

I'm also pleased to hear that you'll be open for business this spring. :clapping:

You betcha Spiel... open and ready to rock and roll...!

Have they provided any reasoning as to why they won't make the change? The one thing that people should consider is lodges on Nippissing are very close to Mattawa and other parts of the Ottawa River which alreay open the season on the Friday before the third Saturday in May. The competition is allowed to open a day early so some potential customers may choose Ottawa River over Nippissing for that reason.

I have to agree with you Captain!

I have been to Nip for the last four openers, arriving mid day Friday, before the opener. Seems every year, we sit out and enjoy the great weather on Friday, wishing we could wet a line, only to awake Saturday morning to a snow storm, driving rain or fire and brimstone!

Being able to wet a line on the Friday would be great!

HH

I thought all the fun was being out at midnight on the friday? Loved doing that with my oldman when I was a kid.

Yup. I remember being in school on those May Fridays, looking at the clock as the seconds ticked by ever so slowly all the while anticipating the midnight openers but Cappy brings up a good point. Good luck with getting the "HammerHeads" at the MNR to do anything that might make a little sense.

Edited by moxie